UKBouldering.com

First time Font Visit (Read 6285 times)

rich d

• forum hero
First time Font Visit
October 02, 2006, 01:42:20 pm
I know bits of this have been done before, but I'm sorting my first visit to font (unfortunately it's in July). Is the purple guide the best to get, would it be worth while getting the OS (french equivalent guide) and for someone bouldering up to v5 what would your must do's (or must try to do's) be?
Cheers Rich

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: First time Font Visit
October 02, 2006, 01:52:20 pm
I'd recommend ignoring individual problems and cracking into the blue circuits (any area).  Man!  Those blues can be humbling.  Many a time I've had my ass whipped on a blue!

However, the time of your proposed visit is a poor choice.  Late Autumn is best IMO.  When the forest is summer-dry and not too chilly.

rich d

• forum hero
#2 Re: First time Font Visit
October 02, 2006, 02:00:44 pm
Yes I know, but with a new born baby, it's the only time I'm able to get away. So if you've got any recommendations for shady bits, let me know too. Thanks

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: First time Font Visit
October 02, 2006, 02:02:11 pm
i had the bas cuvier/cuvier rempart guide for my first trip in font, but couldnt try the must dos, cos i kept wandering around throwing myself literally at every proble in sight for 8 hours a day, sending nothing.
you have to very, very calm to resist the call of the slopers, and dedicate to just "some" problems.

HAVE FUN.

J.P

• regular
#4 Re: First time Font Visit
October 02, 2006, 02:56:08 pm
Spent 6 weeks in Font this spring with our newborn. Bas Cuvier is good as its easy to manouvre the pram around.
Other spots are Petit Bois (small but shady) and Roche aux Sabots. Elephant has easy access but gets very hot in the summer.
Rocher Canon is good and have some shady bits too.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#5 Re: First time Font Visit
October 02, 2006, 07:47:33 pm
this is an awesome time to take a baby to font.

why?

the babe is old enough to have a basic routinue and yet travels well and is into the new colours / smells and textures..... OK, so you're not gonna get good cons.... but spend as much as you can on good spacious accomadation (to ease evening stress) and you will simply all have a great time.

forget trying to bag a hard graded problem, go for quantity - you will climb soooo much better on your return!!

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: First time Font Visit
October 03, 2006, 08:36:19 pm
Whats font like at Christmas weather wise, anyone done it?

rich d

• forum hero
#7 Re: First time Font Visit
October 03, 2006, 08:40:29 pm
cheers for the info guys. Just got the purple guide on order, so it can keep me using my finger board through the long winter nights.

You're all making me feel guilty though as I'm not going with my baby, as she's away with her mum on some women's only family thing.  :guilty:
So just me and my bro, really looking forward to it.
Think we'll be there as a family for a few days next autumn - reckon I can get some type of Disney Land trade off.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#8 Re: First time Font Visit
October 03, 2006, 09:15:00 pm
forget the disney land stuff, unless the kids are over 6 the media infiltration of their minds will be incomplete - messing about in a bloody huge sand pit - and them climbing  - will be more fun for both the kids AND you mate!

trust me...... i'm a kids font professional!!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#9 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 08:09:41 am
hi doc,

being parent to a six year old, can you share some beta vis fontainebleau and kids..?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#10 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 08:54:25 am
This is in no way intended as a dig at parents who take their children to any of the venues in Fontainebleau. I think it is incredible that they are being brought up in a manner that encourages them to appreciate the outdoors and non-material pleasures. And I don't dare question that you are all excellent, responsible parents here. My gripe from experience, is that many parents over there on several occassions have allowed their children to run around of their own free will, shouting and screaming. On two counts here you must pull their parents up: shouting and screaming cannot be accepted as it is disturbing the enjoyment and leisure time of others at the venue. Secondly, running around of their own free will onto your mat beneath a 12 stone individual cannot be accepted.
I know I'll one day be taking my children to Fontainebleau on a regular basis, but I'll also be politely reminding guilty parents of the potential danger that their littleuns might be in.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 08:57:16 am

Unfortunately kids tend to run about shouting and screaming - it's what kids do.

Unnacceptable when you're trying to have a quiet meal in a restaurant, but at Font I'll let them off ;)

Hmmm... actually, life would probably be better if they were all tied to stakes with their gobs duct-taped, but I don't want to come across as being some sort of monster.

Monolith

• forum hero
#12 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 09:03:13 am
Unfortunately kids tend to run about shouting and screaming - it's what kids do.

I had anticipated those very words! I agree, but I know of plenty of children at similar ages that don't feel the need to scream and shout.
I really wouldn't want to have my children in that environment if I knew it was going to be spoiling the enjoyment of so many other people, who's leisure time is rare and precious.So if it was my decision, I'd probably move venues to one of the many quieter/off-circuit areas. I get a burn, and they get to climb themselves or play.

I hope I'm not coming across as some sort of Hitler-esque bafoon here, but I'm just offering my sentiments on compromise for all.

chappers

• forum hero
#13 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 11:57:43 am
first trip to font, dont go with a single desired tick in mind, just like the boys say hit the circuits. you will want to throw yourself at every rock from first light till dark, i always go somewhere with things in mind but end up trying to climb a load o reds or blues.

as for the family thing, ive never had a bad experience, but the fact that the place is so accessible to everybody is its magic (i think). i think its nice to be in that atmosphere at isatis on a sunday afternoon.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#14 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 01:33:28 pm
right,

i dont feel we are at the *kids are the next genaeration - teach them to love the outdoors* point here..... and it's all been rather mature in the

"DAMN KIDS GETING UNDER MY FEET" type of discussion too..... which is nice. :hug:

basicslly it's all about common sense here - educating kids not to tear about and leap onto others mats is of course bloody difficlut and bloody important.

regarding the noise - sorry mate; tough........ they make a LOT of noise.  :shrug:

as for venues at font; well easy... 8)

all of the trois pigneons area is ace!!! esp the (busy) sabots.  look for the less known areas next to carparks in the guide round there as well.

top of cuvier no good - too many gullies

but best of all, by far...... the elephant...... it's just sooooooooo good for the kids, you can see them for miles (the sector just before la coeur is the best for this) and they can run ragged away form the underneath of the boulders and be in sand paradise.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#15 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 03:07:20 pm
thx doc  :kiss2:

and rainy day activities??

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#16 Re: First time Font Visit
October 04, 2006, 05:24:53 pm
sorry mate, totally none!!

better look into that for nxt time too

Monolith

• forum hero
#17 Re: First time Font Visit
October 05, 2006, 11:02:55 am
Sure you might well be aware of it, but the Cyclops sculpture would surely make a wild time for both yourself and the kids.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1248/is_n6_v84/ai_18356707

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#18 Re: First time Font Visit
October 06, 2006, 01:42:54 am
Go to elephant and look at the large bit of rock that looks like an elephant. Its pretty amazing.

runt

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: First time Font Visit
October 28, 2006, 11:42:17 pm
On the cyclops mission, awesome place to have a look at, but car break in central. Next time I go I'm waiting near the cars with a bit of 2x4

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal