places to visit > something for the weekend - hookups and lifts

Buses from sheff to peak

(1/5) > >>

Dirty Passion Monkey:
alrite all, having succesfully navigated the corridors of academia to higher education i am now living in S10 and looking forward to the winter. 

Does anyone know what the deal with buses is however from this sort of area out to the peak?  Am fearing that i will be 10 mins from the grit but be unable to get there on a regular basis. Any useful knowledge would be much appreiciated, especially in the form of links to bustimetables.  Alternatively, anyone with a motor wanting a partner I am free all day wed, thurs and sat each week.  Drop us a msg if u feel like it.

Cheers,
Ben.

Johnny Brown:
You can catch a bus to The Fox house any day of the week, year round from Hunter's bar roundabout.

During summer weekends and evenings they run one to stanage via burbage bridge too, goes past (i think) student's union then hunter's bar.

Alternatively get a bus up too High Storrs where the Ringinglow leaves town (the odd one goes up all the way up to The Norfolk Arms), then hitch.

Hitching back is very easy, I don't think I've ever used the bus to get back to town.

andy popp:
Trying walking. Seriously. I used to really enjoy walking to and from Burbage/Stanage/Froggatt etc. It adds something to the day.

Bubba:
That must take ages though Andy? I used to regularly bike it by going up through Endcliffe/etc parks - about 45mins door to crag or something like that. No use if you want to pack a pad though.

Shame you can't really hitch from Hunter's Bar any more.

andy popp:
Its not too bad, say back from Burbage Bridge and Passion Monkey says he has whole days; basically not having a car is no excuse for not getting to the grit if you live in S10. But my other point was serious - a bit of walking really adds to the day (and I do mean proper climbing days, not a day out walking with one token route thrown in). In fact I was only wondering the other day if people still did this. Gives a good warm up or, especially on the way home, a nice meditative wind down. And its easy from Sheff. When I lived in Stoke I regularly walked to and from the Roaches -this does take a while. And this is nothing compared to what the bogtrotters of the 20s through to 50s and even 60s did every weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version