UKBouldering.com

The Tubes (Read 2354 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
The Tubes
September 26, 2006, 10:31:24 pm
Can't remember who it was, but somebody was asking about the Tubes on here a while back. Anyway, George gave me some pics the other day so I've posted them up on the NWB site. George suggested that it was possible to have a conventional session sans top rope kit, and that there was plenty of potential.

To my shame I still haven't been - must make amends soon.

Anybody climbed there? If so please tell us about it.

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=203

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1 Re: The Tubes
September 27, 2006, 02:07:21 pm
Yup twas moi Simon. I have the grid refs for Tubes that you gave me:

"There is a full description of the crag in the Meirionnydd guide, page 243-8

The OS refs are as follows:

Upper Tubes 804 538

Lower Tubes 802 539"

I'd love to get there one day. Presumably in winter, the river rises quite a lot. Not sure how much of the climbing this would affect as I've only ever seen a handful of snaps of it in various climbing publications.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Re: The Tubes
September 29, 2006, 07:42:00 am
Have been meaning to get there for ages, thanks for the prompt boys.
Si, how long have we got before the river gets too high and/or it goes out of condition? (assuming that it's a summer venue of course)

And Tom, we'll have to sort a trip out.

As an aside, there's a largish crew going to Ysgo on Oct 10th, everyone's welcome, the more pads the merrier!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#3 Re: The Tubes
October 01, 2006, 02:35:54 pm
I've been to the Tubes.  It makes for interesting climbing: water-worn slate (very few if any crimps) and as you would imagine - less friction than quarried slate.  There is a lovely scoop groove to have a crack at, and a fair bit of river-level traversing (brushing off moss as you go) and a couple of ace plunge pools to have a dunk in when you are tired of the heat.

Most Tolkien-esque.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#4 Re: The Tubes
October 02, 2006, 09:17:02 pm
I asked George the other night about the winter season and he reckoned that there would be less opportunities, because of seepage lines and a generally higher level of water in the river. However he reckoned that during any dry period, winter or summer, it would come into nick enough to have plenty to go at.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#5 Re: The Tubes
October 02, 2006, 11:30:15 pm
Have been meaning to get there for ages, thanks for the prompt boys.
Si, how long have we got before the river gets too high and/or it goes out of condition? (assuming that it's a summer venue of course)

And Tom, we'll have to sort a trip out.

As an aside, there's a largish crew going to Ysgo on Oct 10th, everyone's welcome, the more pads the merrier!

who's going so far, i sorted it out so I can come, with my mat if I ever get it back off my ex  >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal