UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412035 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#775 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2012, 03:42:23 pm
Yeah, seems like a growth industry!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#776 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2012, 04:49:08 pm
We have one, but didn't fit it, it's very good.

We got our conversion done by John Cassidy / Blue Juice Conversions in Cumbernauld.

http://www.vwt4conversions.com/

He's a good guy and does good work, but only does it part time, so doesn't really do quick turnarounds.

I noticed the other day there is now a converter in Glasgow too, can't recall name, but google should throw it up.

Otherwise I think the only other option is Jerba in N. Berwick (they did our roof). Also does very good work, but again you might have to join the back of a waiting list.

Assuming this information was actually of use to you, I just heard Jon Cassidy is out of action with a broken hip and femur after a MTB wipeout, so waiting list with him is likely to be even longer.

AV campers just down the road are just as good and actually get back to you when they say they will get back to you. Broken leg or no broken leg, its not hard to pick up the phone.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#777 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 13, 2012, 10:02:46 pm
Are AV the Weegie ones?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#778 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 13, 2012, 10:38:39 pm
Are AV the Weegie ones?

kirkliston'ish.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#779 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 18, 2012, 04:53:54 pm
So... I'm making some real progress with me T5 and it's time to tackel the electrics...

Basically I need:

1. leisure battery
2. Some 12V Sockets
3. Inverter with 240V socket
4. Compressor fridge
5. Ikea Dioder lights
6. Water pump
7. Gas ingnition (integrated with the Smev unit I have)

I've got pretty much everything I need apart from the cables, some of the fuses and a few connectors but just thought before I start that I'd run my wiring by the UKB massive to see if there's any glaring omissions that will result in me frying meself...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated....

:D

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#780 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 18, 2012, 04:59:50 pm
Might have to borrow a copy of that   :guilty:  - let me know if it works.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#781 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 18, 2012, 05:19:55 pm
Looks fine to me at first glance. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#782 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 18, 2012, 08:30:04 pm
You do know running anything with even moderately high power needs (ie more than a laptop, eg) kettles and toasters ) off the 240v plug will flatten a leisure battery in no time? We have a couple of 240v sockets but only have them wired up for plugging into a power supply at a campsite. I'm sure you do but just checking.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#783 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 18, 2012, 11:39:13 pm
Yea, it's just laptops really and maybe the odd 240v thing that we hadn't initially considered :shrug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#784 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 19, 2012, 07:32:46 am
So you are upping the 12V to 240V at the inverter to plug the laptop cable with the built in inverter to bring it back down to circa 18V again :)

Just saying.

punkpunk

• player

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#786 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 19, 2012, 10:02:11 am
So you are upping the 12V to 240V at the inverter to plug the laptop cable with the built in inverter to bring it back down to circa 18V again :)
Yea that's about the size of it...  :whistle: Seems daft when you put it like that but when doing the initial plans I just thought that it'd be a good idea to have a 240V supply for things like laptops, camera battery chargers, external HD's etc...

Probably in hindsight it'd have been easier (and maybe even cheaper?) to get 12V units as above but I've got the inverter now and am sure it'll come in handy....

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#787 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 20, 2012, 03:12:08 pm
Forget all that camper-van bollocks - this is what you're after:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271085297245

horn

• regular
#788 Re: Camper Van knowledge
November 27, 2012, 02:05:58 pm
Me van died and I can't afford to fix it sooo...

If anyone is doing a shanty diy camper I've got an L shaped bench seat that folds out into a 6'x4' double bed. 

IMAG0287 by Simon Kimber, on Flickr

IMAG0289 by Simon Kimber, on Flickr
Essentially free to anyone who can collect it from otley, although a token donation to http://www.heatfund.org.uk/ would be lovely.  It's sized for a transit (with a cut out for the wheel arch), although as it's (sturdily) screwed and not glued you could very easily chop it and change it to fit whatever you want to put it in

I've also got a nearly full 6 kg propane bottle, 2 burner gas hob, homemade sink unit, 12v water pump and a brand new table leg post with tops and bottoms (bit like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-ISLAND-TABLE-LEG-SET-caravan-motorhome-camper-horsebox-campervan-/140861120598?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item20cbfa2056 but with two conical ends so you don't have to drill a big hole in your floor) Open to offers on all these things, just message me on here.

Willriseley

• player
  • idiot child
#789 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 20, 2013, 07:00:20 pm
Just got hold of an ex postie vauxhall combo van and am hoping to get it decked out asap. anyone seen or have one thats done?

Thinking lots of insulation, skylight, lights and even a toilet maybe?

galpinos

• forum hero
#790 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 20, 2013, 08:45:49 pm

Does anyone have any baby bed beta for camper vans in general or bongos in particular? Trying to convince myself life as I know it won't be over when it arrives.

Board across the front seats and a moses basket? Keen to convince the little one that it'll like camper van-ing soon after it's arrival. I don't want it messing up my birthday mountain biking weekend!

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#791 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 20, 2013, 09:04:18 pm
Does anyone have knowledge on insurance companies for self modified vans with the inclusion of  cover for Europe for a year long road trip.

It seems 3 month cover if fine but anything more problematical.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#792 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 20, 2013, 09:32:14 pm

Does anyone have any baby bed beta for camper vans in general or bongos in particular? Trying to convince myself life as I know it won't be over when it arrives.

Board across the front seats and a moses basket? Keen to convince the little one that it'll like camper van-ing soon after it's arrival. I don't want it messing up my birthday mountain biking weekend!

I know BB has done some long trips with his LO, isnt there some info earlier in this thread? And congratulations!

Paul B

• forum hero
#793 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 21, 2013, 11:44:54 am
Does anyone have knowledge on insurance companies for self modified vans with the inclusion of  cover for Europe for a year long road trip.

It seems 3 month cover if fine but anything more problematical.

I used Brentacre, 3 months was standard and I arranged (or they did really, for me) to pay an additional monthly fee beyond that. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't horrendous either.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#794 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 21, 2013, 12:21:49 pm
I know BB has done some long trips with his LO

In a moment of boredom, had a look. pg 15.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#795 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 25, 2013, 05:09:42 pm
Finally got round to sorting the van interior. All insulated, sound deadened and carpeted! Then had to make some custom speaker pods to allow speakers in roof. Lights in roof got fitted, and also strip LED lights above windows, and on the step to light it up in the dark. (Avoid messy night time pisses!) floor also laid with hard wearing lino type material.

Really like the two tone look  :)

Links are FB so might not appear for all.

Speaker pods

Need to save a bit of cash now for bed, swivel seats, leisure battery setup, units, and cooker, sink and fridge setup. Then bumper colour coding and a million other little jobs  :no:

csl

• junky
#796 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 25, 2013, 05:16:52 pm
Looks awesome, good job!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#797 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 25, 2013, 05:18:08 pm
Looks awesome, good job!

I didn't do it myself, paid someone! Was easier and quicker. I did the speaker pics though.  :-[

jmews

• regular
#798 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 26, 2013, 07:09:23 pm
Does anyone have any experience of buying a van in Europe for use over there? Im particular, does anyone have any input on advantages or disadvantages of buying a van on the continent vs. back in Britain?

We are not in Europe at the moment, but trying to plan for roughly a year or so living in spain followed by a likely other period of living in france for 6 months or so. There could end up being more of an even split in terms of where we are, but this is the vague idea for now. 

Are there issues with buying a van in Spain and then using it in France for long periods? Would it perhaps be better to buy in the U.K. And then take it out there so that we can at least use it back home afterwards if needed? We're leaning towards a small diesel (caddy/berlingo plus renault and peugeot equivalents) for long weekends/short trips as opposed to a full living conversion.

Paul B

• forum hero
#799 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 26, 2013, 07:17:44 pm
Looks awesome, good job!

I didn't do it myself, paid someone! Was easier and quicker. I did the speaker pics though.  :-[

I can believe you paid someone to do the carpet but were happy to cut holes in your van for windows  :o. That was impressive.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal