UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412509 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#750 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 17, 2012, 02:22:28 pm
The lass got it insured in the NL for £770 but tax is a killer €120/month unless we get it "fully" converted but means it has to be at least 180cm inside, therefore a pop-top required.

Otherwise I'll be importing it to the UK to benefit from cheap tax. (unless the insurance is exorbitant!)

I'll post up some pics from time to time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#751 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 17, 2012, 02:29:59 pm
Sounds like a long term commitment! As Paul says T4Forums has loads of good advice. You need to decide what you want to use it for first? Ever putting bikes inside etc.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#752 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 17, 2012, 02:43:40 pm
True!  We'll be living together in Cham anyway so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference...

We think we want a box-bed with storage space rather than a R&R style - we're not likely to be taking passengers. Cooker, possibly sink, space for a coolbox. Insulate/line etc. speakers, electrics, cupboards along the side.

Trying to decide if we want to get swivel chairs or build a small bench behind them (more storage + extra seats, but does limit space.

We'll probably just get a bike rack for it and a f*uck off huge chain to lock them to something immovable (the axle?) when parked up. Might attempt some clever under-cupboard (or bed) storage space for skis and boards.

First thing is, take it home and strip it (bench rear seats and fiberglass partition), thorough check, fix minor rust patches and stone chips. It's going to be fun :-)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#753 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 17, 2012, 03:41:01 pm
have a look at Smuff's half fixed half foldout bed system I suggested the design of if you can; that way you will have place to sit and set it up for sleeping easily. And you will have under bed ski storage too. I would get a swivel for seats rahter than lose space. And personally would not bother with a sink unless it is critical for getting it reclassified; the space taken up is not worth it; better to go for a plastic bowl and heat up water on a gas burner.

We have a looong cable (3 m) with double loops which we loop through the towbar and then chain to the bikes with a massive padlock.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#754 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 09, 2012, 01:27:24 pm
Anyone got any experience of fitting Smev dual sink hob combo things?

Thinking I might be best getting a pro to do it rather than gassing the whole family..... :whistle:

Any recomendations for fitters and aproximate prices would be great!

:DS

SA Chris

• forum hero
#755 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 09, 2012, 02:11:31 pm
We have one, but didn't fit it, it's very good.

We got our conversion done by John Cassidy / Blue Juice Conversions in Cumbernauld.

http://www.vwt4conversions.com/

He's a good guy and does good work, but only does it part time, so doesn't really do quick turnarounds.

I noticed the other day there is now a converter in Glasgow too, can't recall name, but google should throw it up.

Otherwise I think the only other option is Jerba in N. Berwick (they did our roof). Also does very good work, but again you might have to join the back of a waiting list.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#756 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 09, 2012, 08:17:02 pm
I put my first side window in today. Scaaaaary!

photo by Adam Lincoln, on Flickr

photo4 by Adam Lincoln, on Flickr

photo2 by Adam Lincoln, on Flickr

photo1 by Adam Lincoln, on Flickr

photo copy by Adam Lincoln, on Flickr

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#757 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 07:21:21 am
Good skills doing it yourself Adam - I am no stranger to weird and wonderful projects but even I drew the line at chopping a hole in the side of my van...

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#758 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 09:06:12 am
If anyone's interested - here's the progress on our van:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110438250908474202935/VanConversion?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXHrbLdlKyq4gE

Should hopefully be sorting the electrics and getting it insulated this weekend!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#759 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 09:19:56 am
Good skills doing it yourself Adam - I am no stranger to weird and wonderful projects but even I drew the line at chopping a hole in the side of my van...

Thats why i did the opening door first  ;) Mistakes could be fixed by a trip to scrap yard!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#760 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 09:41:45 am
Adam, have you got any leftovers from your van? insulation, ply etc? Or did you get the interior done professionally?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#761 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 10:01:19 am
Adam, have you got any leftovers from your van? insulation, ply etc? Or did you get the interior done professionally?

I may have some recycled bottle wool, (non itchy), and some radiator foil, going spare, but going to be finishing the insulation and lining over next few weeks so won't know yet i am afraid.

I have sound deadened all my panels with flash banding first, so there are no rattles and the van, feels, and sounds more solid. Oh and music sounds amazing  ;) Then i put the recycled bottle wool, everywhere! Stuffed into all nooks and crannies. Then the radiator foil over the top. Then Ply lined, then carpeted.

Cost wise, if it helps. Ive probably spent £100 on flash banding, maybe more. £45 on wool insulation. £330 on the foil. Then the ply. As for carpeting i went for megavan stuff. All metal work in black, and all panels in barley. Doing it this way was more expensive, sop cost about £145 for carpet.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#762 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 10:03:47 am
ps, if you need any help with stuff, drop me an email and ill be more than willing to answer any questions.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#763 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 10:54:25 am
What do you need? I've still got a load of the duvet material that I used on mine (first layer of insulation was foil backed sticky neoprene shizz then put on a layer of the duvet stuff then stuffed the nooks etc..). There's about half a roll cluttering my cellar which I'll probably not use. PM me if it'd be any use - I'm getting units done in the next couple of weeks so might use a bit in these but there should be most of it still left.

I did what Adam did, but in the metalwork's anthracite and the panels are charcoal... Might have some anthracite carpet left too thinking about it....

:D

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#764 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 11:22:38 am
Where are you based Dunc?  I'm probably going to start insulating this weekend so I guess I'd have to pick it up in person? I'm in Glasgow.

Adam, where did you get the foil insulation?  £325 sounds quite a lot!  Most people seem to do a layer on the walls, then recycled bottles, then another layer. What's the purpose of the layer next to the outer panels? Is it to prevent moisture build up between the insulation and the bodywork?

If it's just to act as a vapour barrier, then surely one layer is enough (and a lot cheaper ;-)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#765 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 11:28:01 am
Where are you based Dunc?  I'm probably going to start insulating this weekend so I guess I'd have to pick it up in person? I'm in Glasgow.

Adam, where did you get the foil insulation?  £325 sounds quite a lot!  Most people seem to do a layer on the walls, then recycled bottles, then another layer. What's the purpose of the layer next to the outer panels? Is it to prevent moisture build up between the insulation and the bodywork?

If it's just to act as a vapour barrier, then surely one layer is enough (and a lot cheaper ;-)

Oops, typo! Meant £35! Only one layers of foil. Flash banding first on metal. Then wool. Then foil over top. Seems to be the standard way for insulation. As for floor and roof. Layer of flash band, then foil over the top is all i am going to do.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#766 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 11:42:10 am
 :thumbsup:

That makes more sense!  My van already has square patches glued to a lot of panels - guessing it might  be sound deadening.

Think I'll just swing by the place I hate (B&Q) and get some recycled bottle stuff and the foil bubble wrap and have at it!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#767 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 11:45:38 am
:thumbsup:

That makes more sense!  My van already has square patches glued to a lot of panels - guessing it might  be sound deadening.

Think I'll just swing by the place I hate (B&Q) and get some recycled bottle stuff and the foil bubble wrap and have at it!

Yeah mind had the sound deadening, but i added loads more.

The wool is about £15 a bag. 3 will more than suffice.

The foil is £7 a roll i think. Get as wide as possible, make it easier than trying to do loads of strips.

Make sure you have a sharp stanley ready.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#768 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 11:55:17 am

Based in Sheff but Fiend's round my house right now so can give it to him to bring up if you want it....

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#769 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 12:45:26 pm
That would be good - will he give me a punch in the face when I go to collect it though?

:boxing:

Turns out I'm going offshore for 2 or 3 weeks from Friday so won't be doing any work on the van!

(so, Adam, if you do end up with leftovers I could take it of your hands for a few beer tokens.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#770 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 10, 2012, 12:48:10 pm
It's in his car now, he says if you text him he'll pop it round....

He promises not to punch you  :great:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#771 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2012, 09:58:01 am
We have one, but didn't fit it, it's very good.

We got our conversion done by John Cassidy / Blue Juice Conversions in Cumbernauld.

http://www.vwt4conversions.com/

He's a good guy and does good work, but only does it part time, so doesn't really do quick turnarounds.

I noticed the other day there is now a converter in Glasgow too, can't recall name, but google should throw it up.

Otherwise I think the only other option is Jerba in N. Berwick (they did our roof). Also does very good work, but again you might have to join the back of a waiting list.

Assuming this information was actually of use to you, I just heard Jon Cassidy is out of action with a broken hip and femur after a MTB wipeout, so waiting list with him is likely to be even longer.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#772 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2012, 12:02:09 pm
Hi Chris,

Sorry for not replying - thanks for the info.

As I'm Sheff based I think that would be a bit of a trek anyway... Seems that it's tricky to get hold of anyone to do this as I've been on the Gas Safe site and no one seems to want the job!! Thinking a meter of hose and a couple of jubileee clips might be the way forward for my impending trip to Font. As long as I turn off me regulator everytime we should be ok :-\.

Might post a few pics up when I get a minute as it's begining to look pretty good ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#773 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2012, 12:11:16 pm
True, probably a bit far.

Locally to you I've heard good things about Vamoose?

http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#774 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2012, 01:52:32 pm
Yea might try them again... Spoke to Simon about doing my roof but ended up going to Austops as they were a bit cheaper and could do the job when I needed it done... He's a hard man  to get hold of tho...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal