UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412429 times)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#500 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 03:57:03 pm
I'm not sure I ever got around to posting finished pictures but here they are:

Looks amazing! I like the idea of a smaller van for this kind of thing.

How tall are you? Is it comfortable to sleep in the back?

Paul B

• forum hero
#501 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 04:36:16 pm
5ft 6"

Natalie (she's shorter) and I stayed in it for roughly 3 weeks this Aug in Pembroke without any real issue. With two of you the bed is a bit short. With one of you, if you go diagnol there's tonne's of room. THe rear of the caddy curves a bit, if I did it again I'd make more of an effort to get that extra bit of space back as I think it'd make all of the difference.

I think Dan (NCB) is going to go down the route of rear seats that fold and a platform of the same height to make a bed but making it more practical.

north_country_boy

• junky
#502 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 04:45:56 pm
I think Dan (NCB) is going to go down the route of rear seats that fold and a platform of the same height to make a bed but making it more practical.

As Paul says, I am currently converting a Caddy very similar to Paul's, and will most likely be adding a Caddy Maxi rear (2seats) and bed platform to the rear which will mean I still have the practicality of a car and weekend sleeping versatility of a van. I'll post some pics up when its finished....

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#503 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 07:02:17 pm
Cheers for the offer of the advice Butters - I'm sure I'm gonna need it! Cheers for the heads up too Chris!

For the record I just insured it with Brentacre based on what I read on here - seemingly really cool firm, told them it was to convert, that it was 130bhp, had alloys etc - they were fine with it all and gave me a super good quote that incorporates 90 days euro travel too - pscyhed!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#504 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 07:24:41 pm
5ft 6"

Natalie (she's shorter) and I stayed in it for roughly 3 weeks this Aug in Pembroke without any real issue. With two of you the bed is a bit short. With one of you, if you go diagnol there's tonne's of room. THe rear of the caddy curves a bit, if I did it again I'd make more of an effort to get that extra bit of space back as I think it'd make all of the difference.

Cheers mate. Think I'd need to check out a few different types of van as I'm a bit taller. Totally sold on the smaller van idea after seeing these pictures though!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#505 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 07:34:44 pm
Cheers for the offer of the advice Butters.

Not a problem - I have been learning the hard way how to do these things (and more importantly in what order) which is fun in a very masochistic sort of way...  :-\

No idea where you are but I am based in Sheff if you want to talk things over in person - unlike the LagerStarFish enterprise I am reasonably cheap at about a pint an hour rising to two pints an hour should I be required to pick up spanners etc.  ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#506 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 09:54:44 pm
Cheers mate. Think I'd need to check out a few different types of van as I'm a bit taller. Totally sold on the smaller van idea after seeing these pictures though!

Remember they come as a compromise. If there was no commuting involved then I'd still own my t4 (or a t5). I wouldn't want to be in there for long whilst it was raining. Secondly, I'd avoid making it look at all flash as car crime in Font seems to be going through the roof and I don't fancy it getting smashed into.

Paul B

• forum hero
#507 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 10:37:33 pm
...edit has expired.

Someone in Sheffield has a Caddy Maxi with a lifting roof. I can't for the life of me fathom why you'd go down that route rather than a T4/5, the wheelbase has to be similar, the engine etc. It seems like you make a few of the compromises for none of the gain.

tomtom

• forum hero
#508 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 11:05:04 pm

Remember they come as a compromise. If there was no commuting involved then I'd still own my t4 (or a t5). I wouldn't want to be in there for long whilst it was raining. Secondly, I'd avoid making it look at all flash as car crime in Font seems to be going through the roof and I don't fancy it getting smashed into.

Paul, is that sleeping head at back or front? Shirley those front seats would tilt forward and you can just sleep (head towards back) with those toes hanging into the ether? (like I do on most beds anyway!)... sorry if wide of the mark..

Paul B

• forum hero
#509 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 27, 2010, 11:13:38 pm
yeah absolutely. If it wasn't practical I certainly wouldn't have used it so much in Pembroke.
I think if you can be arsed you can get golf/scirocco 3dr seats that fold totally flat (the latter look particularly swish, the blade like rims are nice as well). They use the same runners so there's only a few bolts to change once you've sourced them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#510 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 09:35:12 am
and you can just sleep (head towards back) with those toes hanging into the ether? (like I do on most beds anyway!)

Or you could just mount an extension piece on some sliding runners.

We have changed our RnR bed out for a crash tested RIB, and butchered the RnR bed to make a table and a cover to go over the front, so If anyone wants the sliding runners out of it just holler.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#511 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 10:04:34 am
Do you mean the frame itself? Could well be interested.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#512 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 10:44:17 am
Well there's not much left. It was a wood frame one, and we took the front bit off, as well as one of the main panels for a table, so not much left. It does have a couple of sliding rollers mounted in it which I thought would be useful for an extension on a bed. The rest is in bits in our garage in Aberdeen, you are welcome to any of it.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#513 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 10:54:10 am
Ah I see - thinking about it some more even if it was the entire frame you were only running a 3/4 size R&R bed anyway so not suitable for what I want to do. Cheers anyway.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#514 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 11:13:51 am
Yeah, only 3/4. Plus side is a RIB is actually longer than an RnR, so my feet don't hang over the end anymore!

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#515 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 04:01:29 pm

Not a problem - I have been learning the hard way how to do these things (and more importantly in what order) which is fun in a very masochistic sort of way...  :-\

No idea where you are but I am based in Sheff if you want to talk things over in person - unlike the LagerStarFish enterprise I am reasonably cheap at about a pint an hour rising to two pints an hour should I be required to pick up spanners etc.  ;)

ha! cheers again, I'm in Hudds though would be more than willing to buy you a beer for any knowledge shared, maybe post crag?  :)

at the mo I'm thinking about sorting insulation / boarding it out (maybe carpeting it all out) as my first job - I know this has prolly been covered elsewhere in this thread but is the carpet a good bad / idea? I want to make the interior warm, quiet and try and reduce condensation as much as poss.. I'd like to put a decent diesel heater in at some point, but will prolly go for a cheaper temporary solution.. but guess that could be added later?

any advice on safes aswell? I'm gonna put a swivel base on the passenger captains chair (and know you can buy these with a safe built in..) any knowledge on if they're any good? Ideally I'd like something pretty sturdy so I could store my laptop in it if I have too..

Paul B

• forum hero
#516 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 04:11:46 pm
is the carpet a good bad / idea? I want to make the interior warm, quiet and try and reduce condensation as much as poss..

Yes. Buy a set of the JustKampers window foils as well. These make a notable difference.

I'd like to put a decent diesel heater in at some point, but will prolly go for a cheaper temporary solution.. but guess that could be added later?

I'd personally go propex, I've heard the diesel heaters dry out the air and  can make it a bit unpleasant. The propex in my previous van was awesome.

any advice on safes aswell? I'm gonna put a swivel base on the passenger captains chair (and know you can buy these with a safe built in..) any knowledge on if they're any good? Ideally I'd like something pretty sturdy so I could store my laptop in it if I have too..

They seem to be the common choice so I'd assume they're fine.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#517 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 04:35:25 pm
Carpet is always a good idea - cuts down the noise levels and provides extra insulation. I insulated, then carpeted over the top of the bare metal work and then put carpeted boards over the top of that. Condensation isn't too much of an issue as long as you don't cook in the van as far as I can tell from my limited research - anything that is produced as a result of sleeping in the van should evaporate with the use of heaters etc.

Think I am Huddersfield in a couple of weekends time and should be out and about somewhere so could meet up then?

north_country_boy

• junky
#518 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 05:19:55 pm
Carpet is always a good idea - cuts down the noise levels and provides extra insulation. I insulated, then carpeted over the top of the bare metal work and then put carpeted boards over the top of that. Condensation isn't too much of an issue as long as you don't cook in the van as far as I can tell from my limited research - anything that is produced as a result of sleeping in the van should evaporate with the use of heaters etc.

I'd definately agree with the above! Done exactly that with my Caddy and it now sounds like a car when driving rather than having a huge tin can behind you! With regard to condensation, I have put a layer of plastic sheeting between the inside panels and the insulation material (in my case recycled plastic insulation from B&Q, cheap and easy to work with, with no mess-highly recommend) and then carpetted just about everything in the rear, and putting headlining material on the roof. I don't envisage condensation being an issue, as only sleeping in it, probably wont cook in it ever.

Like I have said earlier, i'll post pics when its done. Waiting for stuff in the post, which is a pain atm.....

Paul B

• forum hero
#519 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 05:32:57 pm
I've never really had any problems with condensation full stop (in the caddy or cooking in a t4).

Given the front of any vehicle has a tonne of glazing, this is where anything condenses anyway and isn't really an issue, if you get some you turn the engine on for a few mins. Voila. Obviously it goes without  saying that opening the window a crack when cooking helps removes the problem.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#520 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 06:00:24 pm
Cheers for the info guys..

Like the sound of the Propex heater.. what kind of cost are they? Would be awesome to have something to warm the air up properly, especially as I'm asthmatic.. also there's nothing worse than waking up in a car / van and not being able to get warm.. car camping in Joes Valley late last november taught me this..

Speaking of insulation someone recommended lambswool from B&Q as an alternative to loft insulation type stuff, (ie the stuff that would prolly have me on a respirator within 24hrs..) anyone an experience of this..? Was defo thinking of using a plastic barrier imbetween the panel and boarded carpet though someone talked me out of this as they reckoned it would trap moisture..

Paul B

• forum hero
#521 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 06:24:13 pm
I removed some of this lambswool type from a van and it felt very damp. I certainly wouldnt want it in there. Celltech seems to be popular.

I'd hunt on ebay for propex heaters, they're not cheap mind you and the thermostat (although you can buy an alternative I believe?) is a LOT.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#522 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 07:07:05 pm
I was thinking of just borrowing a couple of these if you want to save a few weeks work Steve?

;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#523 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 28, 2010, 07:54:22 pm

Yeah, we got one of those. Pretty sturdy, but obvious where it is. Could put a cover over it to hide it. I can measure it up for to see if it would take your laptop?

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#524 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 12:03:41 am
Yeah, we got one of those. Pretty sturdy, but obvious where it is. Could put a cover over it to hide it. I can measure it up for to see if it would take your laptop?

Cheers Chris, that's be stellar..

There's a black box underneath the drivers seat in mine at the mo which I guess looks identical to the one under the passenger seat? some old AA stuff I guess..

Laptop is 36.5 x 25 x 2.5cm.. there's a chance I might leave it at home unless I've got work on the go that merits me taking it.. might just try and find an old secondhand smaller one that would defo fit.. be really good to know the dimensions though..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal