UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412607 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#400 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 01:10:26 pm
Word. Surprising acceleration as well.

If you haven't done the mods that I previously mentioned then do those - takes it to another level completely lower down on the rev range due to the turbo have more back pressure and thereby spinning up quicker - just make sure you declare them with your insurance company if you do.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#401 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 02:17:10 pm
What you said is greek to me TBH, a bit of knowledge is dangerous. Plus it's still under manufacturer's warranty, so don't want to be arsing about with it too much right now.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#402 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 02:31:52 pm
FWIW, I've just blanked the EGR on my Mondeo and it's made a massive difference - car runs so much happier now.

The blanking plate was £4 from ebay, and it took 10 minutes to fit.

Paul B

• forum hero
#403 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 02:36:56 pm
It sounds like on some PD models EGR blanking can cause some minor issues though, shudder at shutoff, slower warmup times, warning light. Plus the EG's are recirculated as (I know this sounds mental) a coolant aren't they?

Trying to find a caddy, 104, electric pack, aircon, appearance pack (colour coordinated bumpers) with a lifting tailgate seems very tricky. I know the latter can be sorted easily enough but the insurance policy I'll be switching doesn't favour modifications.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#404 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 03:04:07 pm
It sounds like on some PD models EGR blanking can cause some minor issues though, shudder at shutoff, slower warmup times, warning light. Plus the EG's are recirculated as (I know this sounds mental) a coolant aren't they?

There is sometimes a warning light coming on after fitting the EGR blank but it tends to be a bit random by all accounts - no real hard and fast rule as to whether it will or won't happen - all I can say is that it didn't on mine (PD 104).

EGR is just a plain stupid idea full stop IMHO - why throw dirty exhaust gas back into the mixture again? Supposedly it helps with emissions but in reality it just makes the engine run worse and can in the worst cases coke up the engine completely.

Trying to find a caddy, 104, electric pack, aircon, appearance pack (colour coordinated bumpers) with a lifting tailgate seems very tricky. I know the latter can be sorted easily enough but the insurance policy I'll be switching doesn't favour modifications.

I would advise checking very carefully that the tailgate can be easily swapped from barn doors if you are thinking of going down that route - the Caddy might well be different but it is such a ball ache of a job on the T5 as to make it not worth the hassle by all accounts.

Paul B

• forum hero
#405 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 03:25:18 pm
the thinking is it'll give us somewhere to cook under which barn doors won't as there won't be much space for a cooker in the caddy?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#406 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 03:26:28 pm
Sadly barndoors are a standard on VW Utility vehicles to allow forklift access, and tailgates are an extra. Switching over is apparently a right pain, as bb says, and not worth it. Better to live with barndoors. Didn't Tanman do a conversion on a Partner or something recently?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#407 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 03:27:51 pm
the thinking is it'll give us somewhere to cook under which barn doors won't as there won't be much space for a cooker in the caddy?

Would be easier to just hook up an awning or tarp or something between the doors once open.

Paul B

• forum hero
#408 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 03:54:22 pm
how is that easier than just opening the back door (upwards)?

Paul B

• forum hero
#409 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 03:58:34 pm
Sadly barndoors are a standard on VW Utility vehicles to allow forklift access, and tailgates are an extra. Switching over is apparently a right pain, as bb says, and not worth it. Better to live with barndoors. Didn't Tanman do a conversion on a Partner or something recently?

I've seen them with lifting tailgates, I wouldn't ever go down the path of switching them. I have to be honest, I'm not that keen on a Fiat/Pug/Citroen type van. My MRS will have to commute in it still so it needs to not be a noisy rattly tin box. My experiences with my last VW van is so positive I think I'll be sticking with the brand.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#410 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 04:13:33 pm
how is that easier than just opening the back door (upwards)?

Not easier, but easier than trying to retrofit a tailgate.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#411 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 11, 2010, 04:15:09 pm

I've seen them with lifting tailgates

They certainly do exist, just not the standard and need to be specified as an optional extra at time of ordering.

Paul B

• forum hero
#412 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 14, 2010, 01:45:01 am
A pricey extra as well at ~2k

Anyway, I lasted for about a week, maybe two without a van. Last night I bought a stunning Caddy before the advert even got printed in Autotrader.

55 Reg 2006
104 Tdi
Tailgate
Cruise Control
Climate Control
Electrics Pack
Appearance Pack
Side steps
errr.... 18" Golf R32 Alloys  8)
Stainless steel powerflo exhaust system

The back needs re-pannelling and a better job doing of the insulation as by all accounts this guy obviously isn't a dab hand with wood and carpet. Anybody used either a fitter or one of the CNC'd kits? They seem to cost the same as the wood would (for the caddy at least)? He's done a damn good job of the exterior. I'll post some pics when I've taken some that do it justice.

Can't figure out whether to go for a fixed platform style of bed or a R+R type design. Ideally it needs to be able to fit a large moon pad, ropes, rack , cooking gear (coolbox/stove) and the odd piece of clothing. This may require a lot of re-jigging with a R+R type design?

Not going to bother with a leisure battery, just run some low drain LEDS off the main battery for rear lighting.
Clues on how to get a non switched live into the back of the van? or where the earthing pin might be in the back of the caddy? Oooh and any lovely switches? (I've always fancied one of the missile launch type rockers but they're not 'classy').

SA Chris

• forum hero
#413 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 14, 2010, 09:13:36 am
Excellent.

I know Tanman and RichieB have done conversions with similar, but my instinct would be to say go for a platform bed in the back (possibly that folds in half).

Paul B

• forum hero
#414 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 14, 2010, 11:09:25 am
I've hassled Adam for some more recent pics (he seems absent at the minute?)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#415 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 14, 2010, 11:25:33 am
Probably hanging out with Adam O.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#416 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 14, 2010, 11:33:48 am
Clues on how to get a non switched live into the back of the van? or where the earthing pin might be in the back of the caddy? Oooh and any lovely switches? (I've always fancied one of the missile launch type rockers but they're not 'classy').

Do the interior lights currently fitted have the timed on and the non-timed on function? To work it out check the light itself as it will rock to three positions - the symbols should dictate which is which but if it rocks to three positions then it should have the ability. Assuming it does then I will let you know how to rewire it using an On-Off-On switch.

Switches - I went all old skool and fitted these.

Paul B

• forum hero
#417 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 14, 2010, 01:54:10 pm
I'll check later, the ones from the bulkhead are out as you can get bulkhead blanking pillars.

The one in the back (side), I can't remember having a switch but again, I'll check.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#418 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 14, 2010, 02:22:20 pm
Just push one end of the lamp and the whole lens will rock if it has the timed\non-timed lights fitted which I suspect it will have - it's not obvious till you know what to look for.

Paul B

• forum hero
#419 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 16, 2010, 02:32:44 pm
Do the interior lights currently fitted have the timed on and the non-timed on function? To work it out check the light itself as it will rock to three positions

Yeah they do rock like this. Feel free to hit me with the relevant knowledge.

Picked it up on Fri, drove no more than 5 miles and got a damn stone chip/crack in the front window. Looking at the autoglass website its borderline whether or not it can be fixed (find out  tommorrow) because of its size and location. Its not moving an inch until that appointment.

Stripped out the ply lining done before (it looks like a kit). Terrible fit but now I'm left with the manufacturers cardboard esque half height panels and a lot of space up the top which I'm a little unsure what to do with. I don't want to buy a kit and then find its just as shit as what I've removed.

I'm also hoping that the bulkhead can be 'trimmed' to cover the gaping holes on the B pillars.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#420 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 16, 2010, 03:10:38 pm
I will PM you the details re: rewiring.

Panels - just how bad a fit are they and how are they held in? Could always cut new panels put of 6mm ply using the old ones as a rough template and carpet those.

What's the issue with the B pillars - can't figure out what the problem is from the limited description you have given so far.

Paul B

• forum hero
#421 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 16, 2010, 03:58:27 pm
The bulkhead has the B pillar trim integral to it on vans specced with a bulkhead, thus when removed you get an unsightly gap between the cab and the back trim. I'm sure VW will make a part for X hundred quid but seeing as though the bulkhead seems to be exactly the same shape with a bit added on a bit of wonder dremmeling should leave me with just the pillar covers and if not there's nothing really lost and I'll try and source a part or look at alternatives. Clear as mud?

The old panels were a reall shit fit, the boxed were stapled (!!!) together and had lots of claggy sealant on them. They didn't survive removal either.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#422 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 16, 2010, 04:42:19 pm
Clear as mud?

Still pretty much in opaque territory here but - I think I can see what you mean but not sure. You could you dremmel off the excess but it is likely to look a bit of a pigs ear - suppose you could carpet the bit that's left to hide your handiwork though?

Paul B

• forum hero
#423 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 16, 2010, 09:15:04 pm
There's a very obvious cut line on the part. I'll try it, if its shit (likely) i'll bin it and try another solution. I'm hoping to aquire team beastiality makers skills with the dremmel as they'll be significantly better than me.
I've seen people make good work of re-designing and renovating dashes with a little care so that might work as well.

Paul B

• forum hero
#424 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 17, 2010, 03:44:05 pm
Anybody know a reasonably priced metal fabricator in Sheffield? In order to preserve head room and storage space the bed structure needs to be as thin as possible so I'm thinking of getting a simple frame made up.

Autoglass did their theing today and then came out and said that they weren't happy with the results so no charge (not so bad), and that the resing hadn't seemed to go into the 'legs' of the crack so it might still split, or it might last for ever.  :-\ (Not quite a NNFN but certainly my luck, at least it didn't crack the instant they put the machine on it [which you had to sign to agree with])

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal