UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412431 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#275 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 02:56:18 pm
How much? Looking at summat similar myself... is there a dealer for these ex-AA vans?

As Paul B has already said vans are an hard thing to find but if you are looking for a T4 or T5 I might be able to supply a contact for one - slight issue is that they are based in Suffolk but the source is one that I am prepared to trust... As far as I understand it they are all PX vehicles from a VW main dealer but I will get confirmation on that if required.

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#276 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 03:04:07 pm
Nice looking van Paul. If they are good enough for Mr Nadin, it will be good for you.

Does it actually transform into anything? No mysterious switches?

Paul B

• forum hero
#277 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 03:09:38 pm
optimus prime?

Paul B

• forum hero
#278 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 03:19:27 pm
For anyone on this thread looking to ensure a van (or indeed anything!) I'd suggest giving Brentacre a call and asking for John.

I had a day ringing around trying to get a decent quote off the usual suspects (flux etc.) and it looked like insurance was going to be prohibitive (you all know I'm a liability). Well, Brentacre came in at the same price as my punto with all mods declared, I'm under 25 and between the two of us we have 3 claims in 3 years. One my fault (minor), one flood (goes down as my fault) and a drunken twat driving into us (unresolved so our fault!). He calc'd an onscreen price and then said that was ridiculous and came back with something at half the cost!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#279 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 03:48:49 pm
How was the flood your fault? Did you piss God off at any point? Glad you got it sorted though. Did you let insurance company know you will be out of the UK for an extended period? They can be funny with stuff like that.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#280 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 04:04:52 pm
Did you piss God off at any point?

Selling your soul to the devil will tend to do that yes.  :guilty:

andyh

• stalker
#281 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 04:11:03 pm
How much? Looking at summat similar myself... is there a dealer for these ex-AA vans?

As Paul B has already said vans are an hard thing to find but if you are looking for a T4 or T5 I might be able to supply a contact for one - slight issue is that they are based in Suffolk but the source is one that I am prepared to trust... As far as I understand it they are all PX vehicles from a VW main dealer but I will get confirmation on that if required.

bluebrad

Cheers, but based in Manchester and need to get something immediately, as in this weekend. Suspect I'll probably get a cheap hatchback or summat to see me through for the time being.

If anyone's selling a low mileage, low priced car then let me know

Paul B

• forum hero
#282 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 04, 2009, 06:14:45 pm
How was the flood your fault? Did you piss God off at any point? Glad you got it sorted though. Did you let insurance company know you will be out of the UK for an extended period? They can be funny with stuff like that.

as there's nobody to get their money back off it goes down as a fault claim! At least I had natural disaster cover unlike many people.
Yes the insurance company are aware of everything...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#283 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 06, 2009, 07:41:35 pm
Having had a look at Paul's new van I can only conclude that his luck has finally changed. Good score.

Paul B

• forum hero
#284 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 06, 2009, 11:01:31 pm
very kind of you sir (yours makes a better noise)

I found some cosmetic stuff under the bike rack that I'd missed but nothing too upsetting.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#285 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 07, 2009, 09:52:05 pm
I found some cosmetic stuff under the bike rack that I'd missed but nothing too upsetting.

blusher and eyeshadow?

Paul B

• forum hero
#286 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 07, 2009, 10:14:46 pm
full drag outfit, hidden past indeed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#287 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 10, 2009, 10:07:01 am
If anyone is looking to midgeproof their van, this is a simple, lo-tech solution.

Buy some midge netting, the large size on here http://www.midgie.net/ is enough for 2 x front doors, plus a spare piece. Cut to fit the door of the van - close it in the door all the way round the window so it is snug on the outside. you can pul it in from inside to get it nice and snug. Get a length of magnet from the doorseal of an old fridge (I was down the local dump and nicked some out of the heap of fridges). Cut it out, as if you try and pull it you can snap the strip of magnet. Use the strip of magnet to seal the net against the bottom of the window.

Simple. I can take some pics if it doesn't make sense.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#288 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 02, 2009, 12:25:02 pm
http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

Product looks good, and based in Sheffield, wondering if anyone you guys have used them, or know anyone who has?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#289 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 02, 2009, 12:46:02 pm
http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

Product looks good, and based in Sheffield, wondering if anyone you guys have used them, or know anyone who has?

No idea to be honest but the T4 Forum would be the place to ask rather than here I suspect.

The T4 forum is also the place to get a lot of good info on doing it yourself should you wish to do so - you will probably save a lot of money but it will take over your life somewhat as I am discovering at the minute.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#290 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 02, 2009, 01:25:35 pm
Cheers, used that forum a fair bit before, just looking for personal recommendations as a lot of you guys are local.

No chance of doing it myself, can't even draw a straight line, let along cut one!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#291 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 02, 2009, 02:07:03 pm
Cheers, used that forum a fair bit before, just looking for personal recommendations as a lot of you guys are local.

No chance of doing it myself, can't even draw a straight line, let along cut one!

Neither can I - that's why I bought a mitre saw off Paul B.  ;)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#292 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2009, 10:02:22 pm
I have joined the van brigade and just bought myself an 04 Fiat Scudo. Drives pretty slow but handles well. Its in very good nick so am off tomorrow to get some ply to start lining it. Can't decide between one of the rock and rolla beds or some kind of fixed platform and storage. Not going too much down the modding road but decent stereo setup, little cooker, possibly little fridge and that should do me.

More pics to follow.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#293 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2009, 10:17:02 pm
Scudo is an ace choice of van. I'd go fixed platform with secure storage underneath. If you want a comfy seat to read or whatever, sit in the front. In a van where you can't stand up, the space that you get when a rock and roller is in the seating position is not worth having. The sliding side doors make it easy to access under bed storage space.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#294 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2009, 11:24:39 pm
Yup, definitrely wouldn't get an RnR bed unless you were going to be carrying passengers in the back most of the time. Platform seems to be way to go, poss with a removable section at the front to give you room to sit in the back when you are cooking. One of those cooler boxes with a cooling unit that you can plug into lighter might be a good idea, would fit under platform then.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#295 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2009, 10:02:29 am
One of those cooler boxes with a cooling unit that you can plug into lighter

Got one of these in HellFrauds sale last year. The heat exchanger isn't that great - the cooling effect is minimal and it uses loads of leccy. We tend to shove a few freezer blocks in (as many as will fit) and it'll keep stuff cool over a weekend. One very hot weekend we bought a bag of ice cubes and tipped them in - kept food very cold for a couple of days.
A proper caravan fridge would be much better if keeping food cold over time is important. Takes up space though.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#296 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2009, 10:54:29 am
Got one of these in HellFrauds sale last year.

We got one too, and if you leave it on long enough it will freeze things that are inside.  It works fine as long as it isn't boxed in and can't get rid of its heat.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#297 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2009, 11:07:14 am
I have joined the van brigade and just bought myself an 04 Fiat Scudo. Drives pretty slow but handles well. Its in very good nick so am off tomorrow to get some ply to start lining it. Can't decide between one of the rock and rolla beds or some kind of fixed platform and storage. Not going too much down the modding road but decent stereo setup, little cooker, possibly little fridge and that should do me.

More pics to follow.

Good effort beast. Make sure you insulate before you stick some boards on.  Get some Celtex from Wickes and make sure you gaffer all the open bits of foam. You can also add carpet to the boards if you want to be fancy.  Give me a shout if you want any advice.

On another note my other T4 went in for a re-spray this weekend and I'm hoping for it to be finished in a week and up for sale.  If anyone is interested give me a shout  :)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#298 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2009, 11:34:45 am
As Dylan said make sure you insulate first. Also ply line the side panels before you do the floor - I did the floor first and am only now getting round to doing the sides and I am going to have to take at least one section of the floor up for a bit of trimming so that the ply for the sides will fit!!  >:( If you are doing a decent stereo install as well then plan where your speaker wires are going to run and lay those in before you stick the sides on.

Also I have a roll of this going spare if you are looking to insulate the roof. Got it on a BOGOF from Homebase and there is no way that I am going to need two rolls so one is yours for a fiver should you wish.

If you want any other advice on stuff van related give me a shout - won't pretend to know all of the answers but I can speak from experience on some stuff.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#299 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2009, 08:31:59 pm
insulate with Ecowool!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal