UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 417109 times)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#150 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 12, 2008, 11:31:54 am
I have one of the aforementioned Bongos....!
Just for the record a 2.5ltr 2 wheel drive in green with blacked out windows!
Heres my take on them.
Great base vehicle for conversion cos its cheap, its not enormous and already has a pop top. We had an 8 seater, I say had cos I have removed the rear two rows and replaced with a rock n roller bed.  The original seats do lie flat but are bumpy, the pop top can sleep two and during summer is fantastic cos you can zip the tarp down and just have the mozzie net up instead(tested against aviemore midges this summer!) BUT its a bit of a pain to get out throught the hatch if you want a pee.
I looked at the full conversion and thought the bed was too narrow for two people so have a full width bed instead of the sink and fridge etc down the side.
With them you get power steering, abs, air bags, the pop tops electric, electric wing mirrors, etc etc. They are old though, mines 12 years old but has only done 38k when I got it. Most are still coming straight from Japan, the older cheap ones are getting harder to find. The newer one have to be converted as it bypasses the need to put them through the e.u standards test, easy but does need a bit of money to get them through.
They are thirsty but use them for trips and it isnt too bad, commuting just sucks diesel.
All in very happy with mine

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#151 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 12, 2008, 11:39:02 am
Sounds good L. We would only use it for weekends & trips away, as we car share for commuting. Like to have a look at yours if we make it down to the peak when Stu comes over.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#152 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 12, 2008, 11:48:55 am
They must be in demand...

My Mazda Bongo, Green, P199 AGR was stolen on the night of Saturday 8th March, please help me find it by inviting all your friends in the sheffield area to look out for it.

Any one in Sheff look out for this, belongs to Adam Spillane who some of you may know...

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#153 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 12, 2008, 12:15:47 pm
Like to have a look at yours if we make it down to the peak when Stu comes over.
yeah, no worries!
The bongo fury website guy lives just up the road from me.
I have been followed by several police cars in the last two days for a bit while they check my number plate out, cant be that many green bongo's in Sheff

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#154 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 12, 2008, 03:12:02 pm
Blimey, soon we can start a UKB Bongo sub-group! Me and Mrs Obi have been looking at Bongo's for about 6months, not worked out the finances yet but keen to get one soon. Would like to check out your Bongo FBSF, before we purchase if it's ok.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#155 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 13, 2008, 11:50:24 am
No problem mr wan, any time

SA Chris

• forum hero
#156 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 13, 2008, 11:53:17 am
With the original seat set up and after the rock n roller bed conversion, is there space under the seats or bed for surfboards?

rowena

• player
#157 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 13, 2008, 12:14:46 pm
I would just like to flap my Pingu wings in pre-camper van excitement  :bounce:

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#158 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 13, 2008, 08:48:05 pm
With the original seat set up and after the rock n roller bed conversion, is there space under the seats or bed for surfboards?
Hmmm, maybe. Another option would be to roof rack them(it can be done!) and just bump up the pressures in the hydraulic arms. Seen it done very succesfully.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#159 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 28, 2008, 02:09:59 pm
Following months of deliberation and hesitation (and saving), have ordered new VW T5 Transporter Panel Van, after a period of intense negotiation and playing off of VW Dealers in Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Unfortunately lead time means we get it in mid September. Then the pimping begins!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#160 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 28, 2008, 03:10:15 pm
Cool. Which one have you gone for engine wise, sensible or ludicrously powerful?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#161 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 28, 2008, 03:25:02 pm
Sensible. 1.9l, 104 BHP. Can always get a remap if it starts to annoy. Very tempted by the 2.5l, but cost a fair whack more, and pretty thirsty (not good with fuel price like it is).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#162 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 28, 2008, 03:44:00 pm

petrol + lpg conversion?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#163 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 28, 2008, 03:50:43 pm
Diesel. Don't think there is a petrol option in that engine.

galpinos

• forum hero
#164 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 28, 2008, 06:30:50 pm

I've plumped for a fully converted bongo. Spent quite a bit (went for a new shape)  but really chuffed. Bit annoyed wityh the guy I got it off (didn't finish it foe when he said and there's quite an extensive snagging list) but it's sweet.

Camper vans are the mutt's nuts.

Paul B

• forum hero
#165 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 28, 2008, 06:50:47 pm
Following months of deliberation and hesitation (and saving), have ordered new VW T5 Transporter Panel Van, after a period of intense negotiation and playing off of VW Dealers in Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Unfortunately lead time means we get it in mid September. Then the pimping begins!

very envious. Conversion blog when you get going?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#166 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 29, 2008, 08:18:24 am
Possibly, but if we can get the cash together, the conversion blog might be very short - consisting of a single line -

"See http://www.vwt4conversions.com/"

Been recommended, as doing a good job at a reasonable price.

Who knows though, it may go from

to

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#167 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 29, 2008, 08:56:04 am
Chris - rest assured that if you pimp your van to that degree then I will personally hunt it down, take pics of it and post them here.

bluebrad

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#168 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 29, 2008, 03:26:19 pm
We've just got a fully converted Bongo from Manchester Campers in Denton. Has a side conversion with all the necessary bells and whistles. A bit narrower than a transporter, but way more bang for your buck. Highly recomended.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#169 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 29, 2008, 03:49:14 pm
Nice, Did you manage to find a manual? We had looked at Bongos (as per previous) but size was a bit of a concern for my 6ft 2 frame. Also wanted manual gearbox for driving in hills in winter in bad road conditions.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#170 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 29, 2008, 05:19:18 pm
No, we got a 2.5 litre TD auto with 4WD. I'm 6'1" and its no problem size-wise, although we'll probably get a drive-away awning now we've got a nipper to think of too. As regards the joys of manual for winter driving, the auto 4WD version will be fine - you can lock the gear box in any of the gears. Word on the street is that good Bongos are now becoming less commonplace in japanese car auctions, so if you want a newly imported one the choice is increasingly restricted, although there are some good second-hand UK ones about. My sister just got a petrol V6 manual (not converted....yet) which goes like stink.

Paul B

• forum hero
#171 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 29, 2008, 11:02:26 pm
SA Chris, I take it they do T5's as well then? I've seen some quality conversions on the T4/5 forums...

Percy: Have you had chance to see what kind of MPG the bongo returns? I've always looked at them but been worried about how much go-go juice they'd drink.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#172 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 29, 2008, 11:06:14 pm
Around 30 mpg for the diesel, although i've heard of people getting 35mpg if you are super careful. If you have a heavy right foot, 25 mpg is more like it. I've only used a couple of tankfulls in mine so far, but 30 ish seems about par for the course.

galpinos

• forum hero
#173 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 30, 2008, 08:19:42 am

Is that with the conversion in Percy?

I got a full conversion from JAL, seems to dip in a bit below 30.

Bar the fuel consumption, fantastic vans though. Once the roof is up they feel well spacious.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#174 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 30, 2008, 08:31:05 am
SA Chris, I take it they do T5's as well then? I've seen some quality conversions on the T4/5 forums...

Yup, they do, have been chatting with the bloke about options. There are loads of companies that do conversions, some of them amazing, but running to silly prices. I think we will just go for basic side unit / bed and get some windows fitted, then worry about pop top etc if and when we need more space. If you are looking around, try and get one with a single passenger seat, so when it converted this can be swivelled 180 deg to give extra seating inside. If you get one with a standard bench passenger seat, a single passenger seat is £1000 ish to retrofit (unles you happen upon one second hand / scrap).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal