UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 409886 times)

rodma

• forum hero
#975 Re: Camper Van knowledge
November 20, 2015, 04:06:58 pm
T5 knowledge kings... Just a quick one to see if anyone has any pointers to look for.. mechanically wise.. when checking out T5's. I'm looking around 5 years old maybe 100k on the clock, probably unconverted.. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Also I will probably selling my T4 pretty soon, full custom conversion, 195k, R reg, total bomber van, loads done mechanically, just looking to upgrade.. please keep in mind if your looking  ;)

if you're looking to upgrade, why are you going for an inferior van  :jab:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#976 Re: Camper Van knowledge
November 20, 2015, 05:27:00 pm
Nothing apart from being produced by a bunch of deceitful bastards! :)

What engine you looking at? I've heard the 84BHP one is a bit sluggish, but can be improved with a remap. Ours is the 104 BHP and it runs well, but isn't shit of a stick fast like the 2.5. Be nice if it had a 6 speed box tbh.

Only prob we've had with ours is the remote key giving out and needing replacing a month outside of warranty.

Honest John is a good place for common faults

http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-reviews/volkswagen/transporter-2003/?section=good

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#977 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 04, 2015, 07:57:51 pm
 :-[   New insurance = no breakdown cover...  (it used to be covered on our French insurance)

So, who covers old vans? It's a 1998.

rodma

• forum hero
#978 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2015, 12:33:29 pm
:-[   New insurance = no breakdown cover...  (it used to be covered on our French insurance)

Asda breakdown cover, they also repatriate.

tk421a

• addict
#979 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 18, 2016, 12:38:21 am
Hey camping gurus, hope I'm posting in the right place
Looking for some reassurance or a whack over the head.  :chair:
I'm going road-trip climbing from August to October and February to April, mostly in the UK but also to Font or other euro destinations.
I'm likely to get hold of a family golf mk5 to use. I saw this, http://wonenineencamper.com/late-night-diy-40-euro-vw-golf-camper-early-morning-dieselgate/. Looks like a relatively quick job to get a flat platform, and I'm 5'9 so should fit.
Is sleeping in the back of that going to be miserable? I'm not planning on sleeping in it for many nights in a row, but want it to be a viable option if I go to Font for a few days for example.
What else would I need to do to make it more comfortable? Insulation on Windows. Camping light. Mattress topper or bouldering mats (not sure my Ocun dominator will fit lengthways, but organic full pad should be fine).

Thanks
Jeremy

P.s. I seem to have posted this on ukbouldering.net (which I got to via google), is that an old archived version of ukb?

Ali

• regular
#980 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 19, 2016, 01:07:18 pm

Brittania Rescue cover our older van. It's not cheap but covers us for any vehicle (UK only I think) and includes long trips abroad for the van. Have used it a couple of times over the years and service was good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#981 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 19, 2016, 01:22:48 pm
I'm likely to get hold of a family golf mk5 to use. I saw this, http://wonenineencamper.com/late-night-diy-40-euro-vw-golf-camper-early-morning-dieselgate/. Looks like a relatively quick job to get a flat platform, and I'm 5'9 so should fit.
Is sleeping in the back of that going to be miserable? I'm not planning on sleeping in it for many nights in a row, but want it to be a viable option if I go to Font for a few days for example.
What else would I need to do to make it more comfortable? Insulation on Windows. Camping light. Mattress topper or bouldering mats (not sure my Ocun dominator will fit lengthways, but organic full pad should be fine).

If you can afford it I would get something bigger, but if you are getting the car for cheap / free then needs must!

205Chris

• forum hero
#982 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 04, 2016, 07:56:53 pm
Anyone got a drive away awning?

Looking to get one for my T5. Any recommendations? Current thinking would be a Vango airbeam.

galpinos

• forum hero
#983 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 04, 2016, 08:39:14 pm
 I was too tight to pay for an inflatable one and now regret it. Mine is OK to put up, though a bit of a fight single handed in the rain but a total pain to take down without getting crushed. I've since used a friend's family camping tent with air poles and it knocks my awning into a cocked hat.

We have a Kampa Travel Pod mini. Our main concern was that it'd make the van feel enclosed so we're looking for one with a lot of windows and, despite my pitching whinge above, has been a really good buy. The extra space has been a god send with two kids and the ability to save a pitch and drive away is really handy.

They are a good buy but try to see it pitched so you get an idea of what you like. A couple we saw online were a bit rubbish in the flesh.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#984 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 05, 2016, 12:32:30 pm
I used to have a Sunncamp Tourer drive away awning - spacious and really solid thanks to two poles that run along the length of the roof, great design

I could put it up fine on my own, but it took time

galpinos

• forum hero
#985 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 05, 2016, 12:43:31 pm
My Kampa Travel Pod Mini:

Not quite on the scale of Larger's megatent.....

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#986 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 05, 2016, 06:38:06 pm
I notice that the Sunncamp Tourer is now available in an inflatable version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunncamp-Tourer-Motor-Air-335-Drive-Away-Motorhome-Awning-/201524536595?hash=item2eebcc6513:g:ookAAOSwYmZXMx7~

obviously not exactly what I had, but based on my experience of the previous awning and a HUGE Sunncamp tent that we have, I'm considering buying one (when I get some cash)

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#987 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 23, 2016, 09:56:29 am
Does anyone have experience with running an older transit? I'm about to buy my friend's converted Connect off him, but I'm a bit hesitant to sink four grand (~all my savings) into a potential money pit. It's an '04 1.8 Diesel with ~60,000 miles.

I've noticed that you don't see many transits older than '05 on the road - am I going to have a lot of rust problems like I had with my '04 Ka?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Chris.

205Chris

• forum hero
#988 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 25, 2016, 07:19:38 pm
Cheers for the awning advice all. Went with a Vango airbeam one which will get put to the test at Y Not festival this weekend.

Changing the subject, does anyone know a good garage for VWs in the Sheffield area? My T5 is currently crunching into second  :(

Paul B

• forum hero
#989 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 25, 2016, 07:33:42 pm
Autohaus Dolby (ring and speak to Matt).

205Chris

• forum hero
#990 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 21, 2016, 05:40:32 pm
Anyone got any knowledge on solar power? I'm thinking more along the lines of a plug in unit to top up the leisure battery rather than a full blown roof mounted off the grid system.

kelvin

• forum hero
#991 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 21, 2016, 05:50:28 pm
I actually bought a flexible 100w panel last year, I used to pop it outside the van on 5m cables on a rest day, or for an hour or so in the mornings. Aimed at the sun, it was amazing how much it could pull in. Rather than a Durite VSR, I bought a C-Tek Dual S for £150 ans that gave me the option to use a proper panel, as there is a MMPT controller built in. On the replacement van I bought this summer, I actually drilled the roof for the cables and stuck the panel on.
I think if you bother to get a 30w portable panel out of the van and aimed directly at the sun, moving it every half hour or so, you can gain a fair bit of power but if it's chucked on the dash and left for the day - it's anyone's guess what you'll pull in.

kelvin

• forum hero
#992 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 21, 2016, 06:09:40 pm
Got a few more bits to do to mine yet, a burner being the main piece but it's almost there. Just needs to stop breaking down now...

Bencil

#993 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 06, 2016, 03:50:57 pm
I'm going to Spain this winter and staying in the van (insulated vivaro.) Just wondering if it's worth getting a heater? Would probs go for a propex if needed.

kelvin

• forum hero
#994 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 06, 2016, 06:31:14 pm
I'm going to Spain this winter and staying in the van (insulated vivaro.) Just wondering if it's worth getting a heater? Would probs go for a propex if needed.

I did last winter there without a heater quite happily, even in Albarracin. If you're further south like Chulilla, Costa Blanca, El Chorro - you'll be plenty warm enough.

Motown

• regular
#995 T5 insurance
August 02, 2018, 02:56:20 pm
Just about to buy a 2013 T5. Ex RAC so in a subtle orange but seems to be in good condition. Can anyone recommend an insurance company for it in its panel van status - some months away from camper status.

Initial compare the market quotations were around the £750 mark so if anyone knows of anything lower. No no claims bonus as been out the country for five years, but also, no other insurance ‘issues’.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul B

• forum hero
#996 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 02, 2018, 03:30:41 pm

Motown

• regular
#997 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 02, 2018, 06:06:15 pm
Thanks. Read about them in this thread but thought they might have been just for conversions. Thanks again.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#998 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 03, 2018, 09:26:01 am
Is it not Paul B's old one? :)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#999 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 03, 2018, 12:40:52 pm
We had our van insured as "will convert in 6 months" with Adrian Flux. I guess this might have made it cheaper.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal