UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 407971 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#50 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2006, 03:11:52 pm
Bonjoy,

This is probably the bigest Campervan Sales place in Scotland, to give you a feel for what you get for your pound up here. Probably similar places down your way.

http://www.perthshire-caravans.com/stock_motorhomes.htm

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#51 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2006, 04:10:01 pm
blimey. who dat jr guy :bow:? i'd be interested in your stuff for sale if you think it's the shit. i like the sound of an inverter, to run mains gear off. do you live anywhere near shef? would love to come and pick your brains in person. i had a '73 vw combi years ago, and reckon things like decent lights are essential, without the constant worry of not being able to start in the morning. it only had one battery, but would bump start on the slightest slope. Paul, i hear you've joined the school, so i'll see you up there no doubt, so be prepared for many questions too!
any more info gratefully received...
see y'all soon, joe

JR

• forum abuser
#52 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2006, 04:50:58 pm
blimey. who dat jr guy :bow:? i'd be interested in your stuff for sale if you think it's the shit. i like the sound of an inverter, to run mains gear off. do you live anywhere near shef? would love to come and pick your brains in person. i had a '73 vw combi years ago, and reckon things like decent lights are essential, without the constant worry of not being able to start in the morning. it only had one battery, but would bump start on the slightest slope. Paul, i hear you've joined the school, so i'll see you up there no doubt, so be prepared for many questions too!
any more info gratefully received...
see y'all soon, joe

i live in the gods county of lancashire at the moment, but i'm over in the peak a lot in S10.  possibly thursday.  PM or email me if you need any specifics answering.  The stuff ive got at the moment is just a standard 85Ahr wet acid battery and the split charge relay and the appropriate gauge wire and inline fusing etc, bought in august and used lightly for DC low voltage lights and a stereo for 7weeks, charged everyday.  Works perfectly well, consistenlty, and is what youll find in most places for sale.  Could probably do you the battery and the relay for £30.  An inverter will cost you about £30 for a 300w model which is fine if your not trying to run a microwave or hoover or something.  Mine is bust now, so i'm not selling it!  Would defo want to meet up to give you the battery as they weigh the same as a small elephant, fitting them is pretty easy if you've a voltmeter and the relay is already wired in on the set up i have, could probably help you out if you need it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:02:23 pm by JR »

JR

• forum abuser
#53 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2006, 05:06:32 pm
by the way its useful to remember with anything to do with van wiring like this that its exaclty the same system as used in boats and thats quite often where you find the correct info if you look on the web.  The info on it on motorhome websites is usually of lower quailty.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#54 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2006, 05:20:45 pm
Just like to say cheers to everyone who has contributed to this thread... I'll dole out some waddage to the deserving later! 

Currently my own van buying is more the stuff of future hopes than iminent action.  I feel I should run my current wheels into the ground before buying a new vehicle... but on the other hand.... I can afford to upgrade and if it results in some small measure of increased happiness.... Oh dear, got a feeling my poor little Micra could be in for a bit of a thrashing!  The only thing that will save it is the arrival of winter - spending freezing nights in laybys has little appeal.

Incidentally looking at the prices of "proper" campers.... bloody hell how do they justify it?! I am not usually one for DIY (I like my free time to be leisure time) but I'll be damned if I'll pay £10k for a camper-van where the "van" is worth around £1k!  The idea of getting a decent basic van, a spare battery, building a pallet-style platform to sleep on and stow stuff under has far more appeal.  A Transit Connect LWB (or Mitsubishi L300 / Merc Vito if fully committed), a crap mattress, a warm sleeping bag, camping stove, and a piss-bottle should do the job!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#55 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 03, 2006, 05:28:31 pm
my idea of slumming it:

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#56 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2006, 10:44:57 am
hi jr. would defo like to meet up. i think i'm collecting my van on thurs, so perhaps next time you're over. i'll be at the bowderstone this weekend. anyway, my mob no. is 07980 526579 (is that allowed). i live s11 and cook a good curry, so next time you're over get in touch and come round for nosh/advice. £30 sounds good, although like i say, it already has 2 batteries, so don't know if another is absolutely necessary. although, i do like to do a spot of hoovering on my weekends away... anyway, thanks to all for the info/tips. i'm literally foaming at the mouth with excitement. although, for those who know me, that's not unusual.
muchos gracias (?)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#57 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2006, 10:51:12 am
 Is it quite literally probably the second best van in the country perchance?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#58 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2006, 12:01:32 pm
my idea of slumming it:

I saw some bigger than that in the US. Usually towing a jeep behind them.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#59 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2006, 12:33:45 pm
Is it quite literally probably the second best van in the country perchance?

It's definitely the best van i've bought this week. not as good as boysen's crack, but the two things are hard to compare...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#60 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2006, 01:18:06 pm
 Nothing's as good as Boysen's Crack

JR

• forum abuser
#61 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 04, 2006, 04:12:10 pm
hi jr. would defo like to meet up. i think i'm collecting my van on thurs, so perhaps next time you're over. i'll be at the bowderstone this weekend. anyway, my mob no. is 07980 526579 (is that allowed). i live s11 and cook a good curry, so next time you're over get in touch and come round for nosh/advice. £30 sounds good, although like i say, it already has 2 batteries, so don't know if another is absolutely necessary. although, i do like to do a spot of hoovering on my weekends away... anyway, thanks to all for the info/tips. i'm literally foaming at the mouth with excitement. although, for those who know me, that's not unusual.
muchos gracias (?)

will give you a bell then.  Am busy this weekend - family christmas party of all things (owning one of the countries biggest sprout farms in the family means xmas is a very busy season!)

John

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#62 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 18, 2006, 03:39:02 pm
really bad weather down here lately, but very good for finally taking the courage to fix the van. im almost done and very very happy.
new closets

new kitchen, side panels and roof

the roof

;D ;D ;D ;D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#63 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 18, 2006, 10:52:34 pm

the roof

Cool, you've got a woodie on wheels, just need to get some holds in there now.  Where does the campus board fit in?  :P

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#64 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 19, 2006, 12:19:18 pm
no campusboard, but the idea of putting some heinous pinches on the roof passed through my mind...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#65 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 11:54:20 am
Any knowledgable souls care to take a look at this for me? Is is good buy? Is the price ok?
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/advert-view-category-3.html

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#66 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 12:23:30 pm
hey Jon. 55000 miles, it sounds pretty good to me. is it nearby to go and have a look? i reckon it sounds big enough without being too gigantic. hard to know about value, but good conversions seem to hold their value. i reckon it's probably important to go and sit in it and see if you can imagine spending 6 months in it. the swivel  front seats are great as they add an extra dimension of space. and a toilet? amazing!

north_country_boy

• junky
#67 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 12:25:33 pm
Have they put an extra zero on the end of that for a laugh Bonjoy?  :o

Are you definately after an already fully converted van?

I'm buying a van this spring/summer and have looked around a fair bit already, definately decided on the home conversion..... just made a list of everything I want/need then prioritised each thing.....You can get so much more for that amount of money though! :oops:

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#68 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 12:28:42 pm
sausage

did you talk to aidy about foam? having looked at your fine vehicle - i have belatedly realised that when you texted me  you were probably on about the mattress foam - and not as i thought the insulation foam between the panels and ply lining...

we got the matress/cushions made by a special company - aidy could give you the details

ps did you get ring piece?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#69 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 12:29:07 pm
Any knowledgable souls care to take a look at this for me? Is is good buy? Is the price ok?
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/advert-view-category-3.html

Looks like a good vehicle, but a bit OTT price wise. Are you still planning a Scotland Trip? We are thinking of doing a 10 day trip up in NW in spring; boulder surf climb. Not sure how that fits in with your plans??

Have you looked at new Northern Highlands Central Guide? Inspirational.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#70 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 01:02:12 pm
NCB - Where have you been seeing these cheaper vans. I've seen lots cheaper but generally they are bare vans requiring conversion. Do you mean you have seen cheaper pre-conversion vans?
 To convert a van I would have to invest a fair amount of money, and loose a certain amount of earnings taking time off to do the work. I'm not sure how cost effective it would be. Especially given I want a hightop, not an easy home addition i'd imagine. Two of us will be in said van for six months so I want a comfortable well set out living space.
 Does anyone have a rough figure on how much it costs to do a GOOD conversion job and how long it would take, including time taken to research and learn?

north_country_boy

• junky
#71 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 01:28:33 pm
Take your point Bonjoy about comfort etc, my major quarm with buying something liek said posted van, would be that you are essentially looking at a 12 year old Ford Transit van for little short of 13grand!

If you look at how much said van would cost as a basic unconverted van...... http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/vans_search.asp?page=5&searchform=&lid=search_used_vans_full&photo=1&state=%27%27&sort=&make=Ford&min_pr=3000&source=0&model=transit&max_pr=5000&agerange=&miles=1500&mileage=&postcode=bd13+1jf&ukvansearch_full.x=31&ukvansearch_full.y=5 (even a van 6 years newer would be less than 4k) you have to then look at the fact you are paying 7-8 grand for the conversion and said luxuries?!

Does that van have everything you want? Things your not bothered about? Things missing you want? Do you intend to sleep it everywhere, or use campsite facilities? Like I said I would just priortise eveything you want/need and start with the best/newest van you can afford....converted or unconverted

I personally would be very concerned about buying the right 'van' as thats where the main investment should start......no point having luxuries etc if it won't get you from A to B....efficiently.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#72 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 02:04:10 pm
bonj,
i come to help you out. the only thing for you to do is give the key of the van. then ill test the said van for a few months, of course at your full expense, since im doing a job for you, and at the end, for a few more hundreds pounds, ill write donw a complete test results document.
this way your purchase will be guaranteed.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#73 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 02:14:06 pm
Hmmmm. I am coming round more to the idea of a home conversion, bare vans are a shed load cheaper.
Does anyone have any rough ideas how much it would cost to do a luxury van conversion?

north_country_boy

• junky
#74 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2007, 02:43:06 pm
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/caravans_search.asp?searchform=&lid=search_used_caravans_full&photo=1&state=%27%27&sort=&make=Mercedes-benz&min_pr=75&source=0&model=&max_pr=&agerange=&miles=1500&mileage=&postcode=bd13+1jf&ukcarsearch_full.x=25&ukcarsearch_full.y=8

Bonjoy, if you are after a conversion.....then see what you can get for your money first - bottom van, a T reg Sprinter......for 2 grand more than the transit! (High mileage yes, but its german, built to last!!)

ps. Josune B and hubby have one similar to that, and they spend a hell of a lot of time on the road!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal