the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Camper Van knowledge

(1/224) > >>

Bonjoy:
 Next year I'm planning an extended roadtrip round europe. As it will be a long trip we are going to get us a van.
 Anyone had any experience of doing this before?
 Am looking for ideas on the best type of van to get , budget up to £10,000(will need someting powerful + narrow enough to get up dirt tracks to crags)? Deisel or petrol? Pre-made or self conversion?
 Any recomended place to find van?
 What are the pitfalls?
 Is your average van up to very cold temps, or is some winterisation needed?
 How much for insurance?
 Can contents be insured during trip, how pricey?
 Any ideas on extra security for contents?

Tah
 Or any other pearls of wisdom?

Nibile:
my opinion as a three year self converted ford transit owner.

the van will change your life. youll never get back to usual cars for trips.
anyway,
when travelling with the van, which is a 2.5 diesel, i never hurry.
i made insulation with a 2mm panel glued to the roof (high roof recommended, so you can stand inside) and the walls, and never suffered from the cold, even in cresciano winter. now im planning a wooden coverage of the interiors. you just need a good sleeping bag. the drawback, and thats why the wooden insulation, is that if its very cold, the breath during the night can condensate on the roof, causing a bit of guttage.
i have a two fires kitchen with sink, and the porta-potty.
and thats all.
its basic, but has plenty of room for two people, two crashpads with bags and everything, and can sleep with my 9.2 longboard inside, attached to the roof.

i suggest to search for the ones with the double tires in tha back, and perhaps turbo-diesel.
if i can i post a pic.

Nibile:

--- Quote from: Bonjoy on September 25, 2006, 03:35:17 pm --- Next year I'm planning an extended roadtrip round europe.

--- End quote ---

ps COME SOUTH.

Bonjoy:
Cheers. Super vague itinerary so far is a month or so tradding round UK/Ireland June-July, then Ceuse for maybe a month, then some other French sport crags, then Rodellar and other north Spanish areas, when weather gets cooler head to magic wood/cresciano, then north Spanish sandstone, targason, then font. But will no doubt change plans a when I start researching what's really out there. Has Italy got any must-visit sport climbing/bouldering?

Nibile:
do-lo-mi-tes.

for the bouldering, theres alot in few hours drive.
although i have to admit theres much more in font/albarracin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version