UKBouldering.com

Nesscliffe (Read 3505 times)

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
Nesscliffe
September 23, 2006, 08:09:27 pm
Has anyone done much bouldering at this crag? Its about an hour away from me and gets some reasonable reviews on UKC...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Nesscliffe
September 23, 2006, 09:48:06 pm
Not been for a long time, but its pretty good. Very impressive routes, plus some reasonable bouldering. Nearby Grinshill is also pretty good, probably better bouldering-wise in fact. Similar stuff to frodsham though not as extensive, in a lovely setting though.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#2 Re: Nesscliffe
September 23, 2006, 11:05:44 pm
There's a new guide just out: Shropshire Bouldering. It covers Nesscliffe and Grinshill, plus some other minor crags around Shrewsbury.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#3 Re: Nesscliffe
September 23, 2006, 11:25:15 pm
Thanks for the tip Simon.

saintlade

• player
#4 Re: Nesscliffe
September 24, 2006, 12:40:09 am
Nesscliffe's an OK venue if you're fairly local. The new shropshire bouldering guide's only available from High Sports in Shrewsbury from what I understand. It's quite difficult to find the climbing as it's a bit secluded but if you're willing to explore you could just turn up and play. Word to the wise, avoid the crumbly choss that is Sunset Buttress which is the extreme right of the climbing areas when facing the climbing. Scared the living shit out of me pulling off a piece of crumble the size of my head off somewhere near the top. The alley's got some nice problems. Grinshill is alright (but hardly anything above 6a) and fairly close to nesscliffe if you want more of the same.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#5 Re: Nesscliffe
September 24, 2006, 12:04:48 pm
I've heard very good reports about the Terminator/Easter Edge arete at Grinshill - Katz repeated it and reckoned highball 7a+, and superb too.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Nesscliffe
September 24, 2006, 01:14:15 pm
I used to love Grinshill, in fact I'm kind of nervous about going back in case it turns out to be shit...
Terminator/Easter Edge arete at Grinshill

Whereabouts is that? I'm guessing one of the quarries on the east side?
There's an amazing highball splitter crack up a leaning wall too, in a little quarry near the church; Nebuliser i think its called.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#7 Re: Nesscliffe
September 24, 2006, 01:42:17 pm
It says: from the Corbett Woods car park walk back out of the entrance and turn left opposite the quarry gates. Follow the private access bridle road until just past Hollands cottage, then take a main forest path to the left then a small valley path to the right. The Prow is on the left after a short walk.

Looking at the main map it lies east of the trig point and north east of Bat Rocks, i.e. towards the eastern side of the line of outcrops.

Katz did mention a rather cool looking unclimbed line left of the arete... :whistle:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Nesscliffe
September 25, 2006, 08:39:08 am
Stone Circles meet?

Let me know if you take a crew over...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal