UKBouldering.com

Bouldering is good for you.......with a little b (Read 2265 times)

Mick Ryan

• addict
Bouldering is good for you.......with a little b
September 19, 2006, 07:53:04 pm
http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.com/

Dave MacLeod interviews Adrian Berry.....Coach on Coach 

Dave: Many climbers who are not interested in bouldering as an end in itself in climbing, don't practice it in their training either. Do you agree with this and do you think these people should make the effort to do more? If so, why?

Adrian: There is this idea at the moment that bouldering is a new thing – rubbish, you only have to look at the new BMC grit guide (Burbage and Beyond) to read quotes about bouldering from the early 1900s!

The difference bouldering makes to your climbing is stark – when I have a new client, I can tell almost immediately whether they boulder or not. Moving beyond HVS without bouldering is going to be really tough, not just because it's really hard to develop the strength, and technical range to tackle the moves, but because bouldering teaches you how to TRY.

Bouldering is about repeated failure, and getting use to it. It's about slapping for holds in an all-but-hopeless situation with the hope that just maybe you'll make it. Applying that to routes will immediately gain you a leap of several grades. I love bouldering – but bouldering with a small ‘b'. I'm not a big fan of Bouldering (capital B) with its sitting starts, and daft rules – but then I'm not very good at it!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.

Bouldering is about repeated failure, and getting use to it. It's about slapping for holds in an all-but-hopeless situation with the hope that just maybe you'll make it. Applying that to routes will immediately gain you a leap of several grades. I love bouldering – but bouldering with a small ‘b'. I'm not a big fan of Bouldering (capital B) with its sitting starts, and daft rules – but then I'm not very good at it!

I'm too weak not to take the bait. But what a fucking nob. There, I couldn't resist.

Mick Ryan

• addict
Jeez only one bite. Still he was easy to reel in. :devangel:

Toad

• regular
Bless you Mr Ryan.

Is your life that empty and meaningless that you feel the need to post perpetual and antagonistic drivel?

Dr T

• forum hero
you know what Toad I think you might be right there...
par example http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6139.0.html

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Bless you Mr Ryan.

Is your life that empty and meaningless that you feel the need to post perpetual and antagonistic drivel?

Wimp

Toad

• regular

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Wimp

author=Moo ?

Sort your logins out ffs Mick Ryan/Moo.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal