UKBouldering.com

Dreams... (Read 77152 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:01:54 am
Dreams can (by turns) be fascinating and yawn-somely dull.  In my experience blow prevents me from dreaming (or at least remembering them when I wake.  After a period without blow I am plagued by lurid, vivid, and downright bizarre REM-state trips of the highest order.

I've had but two recurring dreams in my life: 

#1 - I am young (under ten).  And goddam I'm trapped inside a beer barrel!  I holler, I bang and stamp.  Some moments later Grandfather Fred (RIP) opens the lid with a Bludy 'ell lad!  Wotya do-in in thurr?!  We are in Freds' local The Rocket, Chaddeston Derbyshire.  Fred lets me have a few sips of ale.  End of dream.

#2 - (This one's a tad grim so...)  Myself and a friend who took his own life are hanging ourselves in turn.  One after the other, we out-do each other and aim for maximum style.  Oddly, we never die.  End of dream.

Two years ago I did some labouring work in N. Wales (to be local for a time).  We worked long and bastard hard - it hurt my body.

After a couple of months or so I'd had it up to here.  One night, very shortly before I stopped mixing cement forever, I had this dream:

I am in Llanberis somewhere around the streets to the right of Goodman St.  I am in a house (it is not the house I was restoring).  The house is a TARDIS and utterly labrynthine.  A party is going down and there are quite a few people in what seems like a thousand different rooms.  Oddly I recognise no-one, no-one but Toby Harris that is; but he's too busy smoothing a lass and gives me short shrift.  I enter another room and for the first time feel direct hostility.  There's going to be a pogrom and I'm the Semite.  I flee as the atmosphere turns sharply foul, party people in pursuit.  All the windows are locked: there is no escape.  I hit the stairs, many stairs and eventually find myself in the attic - a hunted animal.  I leap into the rafters tear at the felt and punch through the slates making a hole large enough to accomodate me.  I am on the roof looking for a way down - a drain pipe - anything.  There are no drainpipes and I realise that the house is in fact surrounded by dense  and gnarly pink rose bushes.  I have no choice but to leap off the gable end into the bushes.  I am still alive!  I fight tooth and nail for what seems like an eternity, lacerating myself to ribbons in the process.  Eventually I am free and find myself somewhere in the region of Goodman St. having no idea which paths I took to get there.  End of dream. 

Psychoanalyze my dream.  And offer (what you consider to be of genuine personal significance) a dream for whoever wants to try to explain it.

Go!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:07:33 am
well in my well informed opinion you are a nutbar  ;)

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#2 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:13:58 am
come and lay on my couch young man

so, tell me about your father..?

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:20:50 am
i have a recurring dream that i am standing up on a hold which breaks off and i wake up.
however when i am not doing much climbing and into cycling it changes to the pedal snapping off.
i suspect i've got cramp and its natures way of telling you to wake up.

incidentally apparently there are more books on dream interpretation than words in the bible.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#4 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:22:48 am
some silliness aside, i wouldn't expect too many serious analytical replies houdi, dreams are such personal metaphors

ref dream #1: still recurring?, maybe a yearning for a more secure time, when in the bosom of family, then again may not be

ref dream #2: the immortality of youth?

#3: personal strife and persecution?

i only remember one dream, a nightmare from my childhood:

a dark void; space with no background stars

in the distance a spinning red/yellow/blue cube, orbiting, closer and closer

i've go nowhere to go, spastic convolutions, yield nought

the cube spirals in, until at arms length

a hideous jack in the box springs out

SNAP! i wake up in a cold terror

apart from that my dreamscape nowadays is lost more or less as soon as i wake, thank fuck

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:40:01 am
so, tell me about your father..?

Shut the fuck up!  ;)

ref dream #1: still recurring?

Neither dreams persist.

Personal metaphors?  Certainly.  Fascinating though.  For me the roses are very significant.

Your cube:  Almost 2001 SO-esque. 

Webbos' hold/pedal.  Inability to accept death? (Reaching now)

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:45:33 am
maybe you two should write a book together.it would be as valid as all the other dream book bollocks. :whistle:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 10:53:54 am
Webbo - if they cut you in two it would say Curmudgeon.  That's why I like you  ;)

EDIT _ This is the only book I've read about dreams.  Far from poo.

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:02:52 am
you interpret a dream any way you like and who's to say whether you are right or wrong.nobody is able to produce evidence to back their theories.

also i spend my working life with people who have experiences like your dreams when their awake.you should hear the bollocks that is spouted to interpret that. :wank:

hang on minute maybe you should'nt

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#9 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:07:28 am
my deepest sympathies webbo,

you come on here for a little escape from work, and what do you get, two prize cunts indulging in dream analysis for dummiesâ„¢

saw----wwwwy  :boohoo:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:24:20 am by soapy »

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:12:36 am
 ;D

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#11 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:16:58 am
C'mon Webbo surely one can take a none too deep interest in dreams without writing it off as 100% absolute bollox not worthy of attention always.   One day, Webbos' great great great great great great great great (ad infinitum) grandson will be plugging those same patients into a machine that will visualise their dreams for the clinician to interpret.  Perhaps as a way of ameliorating them, helping the patient to regain sanity.

It's an ethereal experience.  But an experience nevertheless.

Anyone ever read any Dionne Fortune?  Excuse me I fibbed I've actually read two books on dreams.  Dionne Fortune is a...  erm.... psychic.  Or at least that's what she styles herself as.  The book was given to me by a mad Irish (Catholic) woman who thought her  daughter was experiencing psychic attack and possibly being set-up to star in a snuff film made by the glasgow underworld (!).  She complained of drums in the head and nightmares etc..  She was lying to her mum about how much she likes her mate Billy Whizz.  By now, surely both are living wrecks.  Dionne Fortune:  horse shit.

PS  Your job sounds chronic.  Have you seen this?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:39:37 am by Houdini »

webbo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:29:10 am
what do you mean have i seen that,you young whippersnapper :spank:

working with mad people is fine.the problem is trying to do it within a rapididly self combusting nhs.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#13 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:33:34 am
take heart webbo,

as the nhs is stripped and sold by the present nu-tory regime, so your customers will end up in prisons, group 4 prisons probably

every silver lining has a padded cell

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#14 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:37:08 am
I only started this thread as last night I had a nightmare (tossing, sweats etc..) and woke the missus.  I was dreaming that my left patella has burst through the knee and severed the tendon at the bottom.  Yet the patella was pointed, like a V.  And there was blood and gore and I shat my pants!  (Metaphorically).

Webbo - Dude I'm 34 in a fortnight.  If you think that's young - you must be well old!   ;)

webbo

• forum hero
#15 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:42:03 am
as i said you young whippersnapper.i'd just finished my 3 year nurse training when i was 34.
i hit 20 years service last week. :jaw:

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#16 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:47:49 am
yay to the 40's  :pissed:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#17 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:49:05 am
Anyone ever experienced a lucid dream? Basically a dream in which you become aware that you are dreaming without waking up.
 I have had a couple, but not for years now. The first one I had was when camping in Pembroke about 12 years ago and I remember it well. I was in the park where I used to tree climb a lot as a yoot. Then the thought occurred to me that hey I can't be in the park I must be dreaming. I then spent some time testing the parameters of the dream state, feeling the texture of the big cedar tree I was beside, noting the fact that visually everything was extremely clear and colourful, ate some chocolate I found in my pocket (it tasted of chocolate) etc. Sadly the fun was shortlived, I was looking at my hands when a gang of squirrels with large hooked claws ran down from the big tree and dug their claws into my hands, leaving me with huge multi squirrel mittens, at which point I woke up.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:53:05 am
You mean the 1940's Soaps?

Do you have a Squirrel phobia, Bonjoy? 

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#19 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 11:55:31 am
tell me some more about your father...

and bonjoy, interesting dream, squirrel mittens,, hmmmm

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 12:02:01 pm
Anyone ever experienced a lucid dream?

I'm unsure as to whether this qualifies Bonjoy but I'm pretty damn sure I was once hypnotised by a large fan (visible only in the far periphery above me) in Jarrolds' Coffee Shop, Norwich.

I went somewhere for a while.  I don't know where I went but I know I went somewhere.  The spell was broken as a lady bearing coffee entered my visual field.  And there I was again back to coffee and scones.  I felt Mr. Benn-ish.

Soaps.  Only in person.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#21 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 12:04:15 pm
 I have ambivilant feelings regarding the grey squirrel. On the one hand it is a charming and highly intelligent little fella (anyone remember the 80s tv fad of setting assault courses for squirrels to reach food?), on the other hand they have displaced the native red squirrel in most parts of the country and continue to do so. But I fear them not

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#22 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 12:08:16 pm

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#23 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 12:41:00 pm
there's no room for complacency bonjoy

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#24 Re: Dreams...
September 12, 2006, 12:50:08 pm
Over the course of the last couple of weeks, I have been having many sleepless nights, sometimes a few nights on the trot. This leaves me like a zombie, and despite really wanting to sleep, I can't. But something interesting has started to happen. Whenever I do sleep, I never seem to dream anymore. I used to suffer from anxiety whilst at university and went to hospital one day as a result of bringing on heart palpitations through a cocktail of drink, japanese shoot em ups and no sleep. I remember not being able to sleep for two nights, but seeing the game Change Airblade everytime I closed my eyes as clear as day. And you know the worst thing about the situation, was that it was boxing day, I had a heart rate monitor in my face, which just served to make me more anxious about my heart rate and I spent the night in a room with two lung cancer patients in the advanced stages of their condition. Horrible business.

Sorry this has strayed off-topic, but I thought maybe somebody might have some suggestions for getting to sleep more frequently and maybe having the odd good dream. Obviously, my climbing is starting to suffer as a result of not sleeping!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal