UKBouldering.com

Are we nearing the end of the lime season? (Read 5022 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
Are we nearing the end of the lime season?
September 03, 2006, 10:14:16 pm
 :'(

It seems as if it's just begun but due to the British weather everywhere appears to be wet... Can it be true, or will the season last another few months yet?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 Could go either way. If the weather continues as it has then the likes of the cornices, much of malham, kilnsey etc will soon be wet for the year. But at this time of year it doesn't take long for some stuff to dry out.
 Even in the worst years there are always still quite a lot of routes which aren't effected by seepage if you know where to look. Alternatively it's a good excuse to use the fitness on some trad.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
"The River" on the Cornice was flowing yesterday... although the rest of the crag was bone dry.  Personally, I'm looking forward to tradding on the grit (and dry lime) and bouldering over the next few weeks, but it'll be shame if Malham gets wet quickly 'cos I have a few routes that I wanted to do there this Autumn...

Paz

• junky
Limestone season's never over in the south (if anything it's the SE Wales sandstone crags and the big dank northish facing /devonish cornish cliffs that go out of season).  It's got to be prime time for Berry head Great Cave and Gower's Yellow Wall now the bird bans over.  That's one of the big advantages of our local crags that they're very rarely out of condition compared to Grit.  In fact it all kicks off a week today when the extended Cheddar season kicks off.  The best stuff is much better than that :-\ article in climb makes it look (and isn't open while october), but if it's quiet then I ain't complaining. 

andy_e

• forum hero
Thanks guys, you've put some hope into my tiny little heart of ACTUALLY DOING A FUCKING SPORT ROUTE THIS YEAR!  :furious: :furious: :furious:

Ahem. Sorry 'bout that.

:-[

How long would Kilnsey take to dry does anyone reckon?

bigphil

• menacing presence
How have you not done a sport chuff this summer Andi-e?  Where were you all July and August?

andy_e

• forum hero
Well, I have no regular partner so it's hard to get anywhere, and when I do get somewhere, it's Kilnsey, where I repeatedly try to redpoint one route! OK, so I lied, I've done one sport route- that shitty 6a+ on the left of the Catwalk at Malham.  :thumbsdown:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Whilst he was at Kilnsey trying his 'project' he fell off trying to clip the last bolt and nearly decked it  :jaw: I think that may have psyched him out for a while (it did frighten me a bit and I was belaying)...

andy_e

• forum hero
Yeah, the next time I got on it I was just not right in the head and made some shitty excuse of how "I was at Almscliff yesterday so I'm tired". Just don't know why I never tried any of the easier stuff like Directissima. I want to do that next time I go!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Back on with the real thread.... Malham and Kilnsey may, just may, dry out if, just if, we get a good spell of weather in the next couple of weeks. If not then almost all bets are of until next year I'm afraid.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
Well, I have no regular partner so it's hard to get anywhere, and when I do get somewhere, it's Kilnsey, where I repeatedly try to redpoint one route! OK, so I lied, I've done one sport route- that shitty 6a+ on the left of the Catwalk at Malham.  :thumbsdown:

You can get a bus from Leeds to Malham so theres no excuse. It takes a while but theres still enough time left for a good days chuffing and a drink in the pub before heading home again

andy_e

• forum hero
There is an excuse! I have to get to leeds first to get the bus! I'm not there yet...

squeek

• junky
Back on with the real thread.... Malham and Kilnsey may, just may, dry out if, just if, we get a good spell of weather in the next couple of weeks. If not then almost all bets are of until next year I'm afraid.

I thought Malham could be dry in winter if the weather was ok?  Wouldn't have thought it would be a write-off now if that was the case.

IanP

• forum abuser
Malham can dry out in the winter - so the season isn't definitely over by any means, depends on the weather in the next fewweeks I guess.  I think that historically we usually get more rain October - December than January to March,  Malham quite often drys out pretty much completely in February / March.  Also worth noting that you can usually find some parts of Malham dry anytime except after seriously heavy rain (like last week!).

Also as Andy says above Raven Tor was bone dry on Sunday and I believe that much of Cheedale is still dry so there are options (unless you're allergic to the Peak!).

grimer

• forum hero
there was still quite a bit of kilnsey dry on sunday

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

I know long term forecast are pish, but doesn't look too grand.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/outlook/index.html

contradicts it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal