UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120300 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Have we done The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It’s a series of short stories about the American West. I laughed out loud a few times, cringed and even got a bit thoughtful.
Great scenery even if it doesn’t float your boat.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely amazing. I seem to remember that somewhere up thread, someone compared it unfavourably with 1917. Personally, I thought it was every bit as good, if not better. In many ways they're quite different films. All Quiet... seemed even bleaker if anything, but that might be how recently I've seen it.
The battle scenes are harrowing and raw, and capture well the absolute futility of WW1 tactics. The scenes in between the fighting feel like a welcome respite but are suffused with a sense of the mens' boredom and anxiety about what they have to return to at home.
Richly deserves Oscars, if they mean anything; watch it, if you have Netflix.

Paul B

• forum hero
The Railway Man is currently on iPlayer.
https://g.co/kgs/hp7fEm

Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman are both very good.

I've still got Banshees and The Menu to try on Disney+ before All Quiet on the Western Front.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Saw Aftersun the other day. Wonderful, and so syked for Paul Mescal getting a (very well-deserved) Oscar nomination for it…

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely amazing. I seem to remember that somewhere up thread, someone compared it unfavourably with 1917. Personally, I thought it was every bit as good, if not better. In many ways they're quite different films. All Quiet... seemed even bleaker if anything, but that might be how recently I've seen it.
The battle scenes are harrowing and raw, and capture well the absolute futility of WW1 tactics. The scenes in between the fighting feel like a welcome respite but are suffused with a sense of the mens' boredom and anxiety about what they have to return to at home.

Slightly off topic, but the novel is well worth reading too.  I read it recently and was very impressed.  Up there with Capote's In Cold Blood as a book that seems anachronistically modern.
Also... it's really short -  a good fit for this age!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Did you post this before or after the nominations were released?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64386176

Everything EAO will hopefully clean up. FWIW.

I remember the book being great and a short read too. Up there with ..Ivan Denisovich as a quick read to make you appreciate your lot.

TobyD

• forum hero

Did you post this before or after the nominations were released?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64386176

Everything EAO will hopefully clean up. FWIW.

I remember the book being great and a short read too. Up there with ..Ivan Denisovich as a quick read to make you appreciate your lot.

Before; or certainly before I knew anything about it anyway. I definitely think Bill Nighy should get best actor for Living. EAO?? If you mean everything all at once, I haven't seen it, I thought it sounded annoying, but that seems as though it was overly judgemental. Personally, I'd go for All Quiet.. or Banshees for best picture.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Is Jung_E on Netflix in the UK?
 A very worthwhile bit of SciFi. Something the Koreans seem to do well. Notably released after the death of the actress, Kang Soo-Youn, who plays the lead role (or at least, the co-lead).

Paul B

• forum hero
I thought All Quiet on the Western Front was excellent. I was a bit tired when watching it so lazily opted for the dubbed version.

The Menu has to be a contender for the worst film I've ever endured. What utter garbage!

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
The Menu has to be a contender for the worst film I've ever endured. What utter garbage!

Watch Llamageddon that'll alter your perspective of bad!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Watched Nobody last night on a whim and it was very excellent! Kind of John Wick vibes so very violent but lots of humour too. Recommended!

Also, watched the Banshees etc the other day but whilst it looked lovely and the acting was great, it left me asking what the point was and overall, a little disappointed...

TobyD

• forum hero
The 70s classic Eiger Sanction is on iPlayer at the moment. Staggeringly politically incorrect cheesy assassin nonsense, and most enjoyable, if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Couple of good ones I watched over the last week - VERY different extremes, both on All4

The Long Good Friday

Classic 70s British gangster film with Bob Hoskins. The last scene is well-known as a classic in film history but the story building up to it is well-woven. Some elements of it (notably attitudes to the LGBTQ+ community / non-white people) are very much "of its time" so I guess trigger warning needed.

Hereditary

Been meaning to pluck up the courage to watch since seeing Midsommar. Absolutely amazing film - creepy, scary, claustrophobic. Can't really go into any detail for fear of spoilers but I'll just say that having seen the trailer, it wasn't the film I thought it was going to be.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
The Whale, is a decent talky movie basically set in one room (betraying it's stage play origins). Strong performances from the slim cast. Didn't even recognise Samantha Morton till the credits. I see afterwards a slightly kneejerk reaction against Brendan Fraser and his fatsuit. I might be getting middle aged but the urge to only have legitimate actors who are themselves blind, deaf, fat, gay, trans, etc, play those parts, seems to have gone slightly too far for me. It's acting after all.

Low budget talky sci-fi - again mostly in one room - Coherence. Multiverse, parallel universe, Schrodinger's Cat shenanigans. Like one of those middle class dinner party movies before it gets odd, lots of improv, shaky camera, actors that only get a snapshot of that day's lines. No CGI. A few hindsight reveals made it all the more fun for me. Filmed for bugger all ($50,000) over 5 nights in the director's house with basically no crew - camera and sound. There's a car that gets a smashed window, turns out they were a couple of identical hire cars that had the windows replaced before handing back with an innocent look. Quote from the cast: "To be quite honest with you, I never really knew what was going on fully until I saw the movie done."

Duncan campbell

• junky
Slim cast for the whale  ;D

crzylgs

• stalker
Pretty sure I've watched Coherence and pretty sure it is great... However, I can't remember much of the plot. It's the one with the comet passing over during the dinner party?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Pretty sure I've watched Coherence and pretty sure it is great... However, I can't remember much of the plot. It's the one with the comet passing over during the dinner party?
That's the one, on Amazon currently. No explosions or CGI, just plot and people.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
The new Puss in Boots film was incredible and had no right being as good as it did. Went in with fairly medium expectations and left with s new favourite animated film.

TobyD

• forum hero
On iPlayer now is Gravity; I thought it was visually stunning, even on a home screen. I'm not quite sure if the rest of it lives up to that, but it not bad at all. I found it almost unbearably tense at times, and it's one of those disaster movies where you start thinking why can't anything go right? Still well worth watching though.

andy popp

• forum hero
Eagerly anticipating the first reviews here for "Cocaine Bear."

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
The full film can’t be as good as the trailer which is a work of art!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Dunno, looks like Attack of the Meth Gator might eclipse it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched two Indie flicks on Mubi over the weekend.  Aftersun - really great film about a Dad and his daughter on a holiday in Turkey.  Alcarras - really great. About a peach farmer about to lose his (and his families) land to solar panel “farm” and all familial goings on around it. 

We thought Banshees was really good too.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
One of the actors in Cocaine Bear is a standup comic who got famous on Twitter and TikTok for his very funny clips about being a retail assistant at IKEA. Just search “IKEA retail assistant” or thereabouts. If you’ve worked in retail at any point in your life they’re well funny and on-point.

nik at work

• forum hero
Marcel the shell with shoes on, just wonderful.

Banshees was a great idea but lost its way towards the end for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal