UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1136343 times)

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
I haven't watched The Deer Hunter for a very long time. Vaguely recall enjoying it but having learned more about Michael Cimino in the passing years I don't think I could bring myself to watch it or enjoy it again. Usually I can separate the artist from the art but he seems to be a pretty rotten individual, who wove himself a rather prickly nest of lies trying to insist that the film is autobiographical based on real personal events.

That said I do need to watch Heaven's Gate - another of his films which was an epic production (cost $40+mil in 1980) and equally epic box office bomb (earned ~$4mil) but seems to have been re-evaluated in more recent years.

Just checked...... :read:

Oh fir Fucks sake :wall:
Why do ALL our heroes/mentors/role models from this era turn out to be at best, arseholes. At worse serial rapists and paedo's?.

Oh well there's another film toppled off its Golden Plinth.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Also, I had always presumed that was what PA looked like, although in hindsight it's pretty unlikely.

So a film i had always revered turns out to be a deceitful and produced by a right shit. I blame scragrock for mentioning it.

crzylgs

• stalker

Just checked...... :read:

Oh fir Fucks sake :wall:

Sorry! It was within the last few years that I got wind of his shenanigans and had a brief search myself to confirm. Can't remember if it was the source of my Cimino knowledge but there was a fascinating interview with Richard Dreyfuss on what was the BBC version of Kermode+Mayo a while back. He was meant to be promoting a much more recent film of his, but for some reason used it as a platform to go off on a tangent about how much he hated Cimino and lost all respect for him.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
Also, I had always presumed that was what PA looked like, although in hindsight it's pretty unlikely.

So a film i had always revered turns out to be a deceitful and produced by a right shit. I blame scragrock for mentioning it.

Oi :blink:  :whistle:

cowboyhat

• forum hero
This Cimino thing is part of a wider debate that for me just trends towards not being able to experience or enjoy any culture that wasn't produced by your own benign grandma. Who may or may not have once contrived to prevent Mrs Higginbottom from winning the WI cake competition in 1972.

I have no intention of looking up Cimino, or his flawed personality. What of the Usual Suspects, or Seven; can we still enjoy them. Or should I be driven to distraction by the misdeeds of the protagonists? TUS is a double!

Listening to radio. M Jackson comes on, like Beat it or something. Four year old starts dancing and is clearly elated. Wants to know more. His older brother immediately puts on youtube, they're watching smooth criminal, Thriller, etc. What should I do? Never mind Ignition (Remix).

With old literature it becomes even more problematic.

As an aside I was talking about Deerhunter/ Apocalypse Now/ Full Metal Jacket with big chop aged fourteen and a half, six foot six and a hundred tons. He is not a young fourteen by any means but I've advised that he's not quite ready, needs to be a little bit older, a tiny bit more context. Probably Apocalypse is fine to go first, then maybe FMJ and DH are an equal shock. We've watched stuff like Inglorious Bastards but its effectively a comedy. 

crzylgs

• stalker
I have no intention of looking up Cimino, or his flawed personality. What of the Usual Suspects, or Seven; can we still enjoy them. Or should I be driven to distraction by the misdeeds of the protagonists? TUS is a double!

There is (in my opinion at least) a big difference between these examples - the 'flawed personality' (assuming you're referring to Kevin Spacey) as you put it, is not directly related to the art in question. I prefaced my Cimino info with 'I can usually separate the artist from the art' and personally I can still enjoy The Usual Suspects, I've watched it since Spacey's fall from grace and still find it an incredible film. The Cimino situation is rather more entangled with the art itself, as he has falsely claimed the film to be autobiographical and true to life. This I find (where others may not) unacceptable given the subject matter delving into 'stolen valour' territory and must be a huge slap in the face for people who have actually served duty under similar situations.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
I watched The Outfit this week. It stars Mark Rylance as a British tailor (cutter) living in Chicago and his involvement with the Mafia - or rather them encroaching on his life. Set vaguely in the 50s but costume and acting makes it appear earlier. One of those films which is built entirely on the acting, with all scenes in a single location of the tailors shop. Really enjoyed it, very smooth, tension and intrigue throughout but never jarring.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Body of Lies. Renowned director,  amazing cast, and generally well directed and acted. Stunning locations,  tense action scenes; what could go wrong?
Unfortunately they forgot an actual story.  It ends up being watchable but pretty aimless and forgettable. 
It's on Netflix if you're tempted. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Another vote for The Outfit.  Really enjoyed it.  I’m guessing it might have been written as a stage play?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Skandal! - The Wirecard story. Watched last night on NetFlix. Really good.. (story on the book thread).

andy popp

• forum hero
We watched "The Harder They Fall" last night. A classic, obviously, but somehow I'd never seen it. Really excellent - I'm surprised it ever became any kind of a hit, it's pretty uncompromising.

Watched Baz Luhrmann's new "Elvis" last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very obviously a Luhrmann film but the frenetic energy very much fits the subject.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Very much enjoyed the Edgar Wright Sparks Brothers documentary on Netflix currently, a band I seem to get into every 10 years or so. Astonishing they’re now mid to late 70s and still cranking them out. Nicely made, one of the better music docos you’ll see.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Skandal! - The Wirecard story. Watched last night on NetFlix. Really good.. (story on the book thread).

Thanks, really enjoyed this.

Just watched Only Lover Left Alive. I thought it was great. If you like weird indie arthouse type shit, then it'll be up your street. Best vampire movie I've ever watched (not gore/scary).

PM me if you want a free watch on Mubi.

crzylgs

• stalker
Here's a few from the last week or two:

- Triple Frontier, this one escaped me while I was on my 'Garbage Crime' genre binge a while back. A bit of a game of two halfs. First half seemed really pretty great, stacked cast, sets up the heist premise nicely... the second half essentially the getaway felt weaker. Unless you're a 'Garbage Crime' completionist, are probably better films out there for you.

- Dredd (the 2012 Karl Urban one), this film had passed my by probably due to the original being so bad in my mind it had tainted the franchise. SO glad I caught up with it. Was actually a really cool 'switch brain off' action film. Some excellent camera/photography/special effects. Huge body count. All takes place in one of my favourite film settings 'dystopian sci-fi' not so distant future. Whats not to love?

- Horrible bosses (the first one) - another film that had passe me by. Was actually really funny, the lead trio (Jason Batemen, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis) are some of my favourite comedy actors. AMAZING role for Jennifer Aniston. Possibly knowing role for Kevin Spacey? I almost spat my beer out when 'TOTAL FUCKING ASSHOLE' came up on the screen as his character is introduced! Colin Farrell was also having fun playing his version of the horrible boss. More than enough funny moments to keep me entertained.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
[quote author=Falling Down link=topic=6004.msg666223#msg6662

Just watched Only Lover Left Alive. I thought it was great. If you like weird indie arthouse type shit, then it'll be up your street. Best vampire movie I've ever watched (not gore/scary

+1 for Only Lovers Left Alive, excellent.
Mentioned in best war films thread a while back, Lawrence of Arabia is on Netflix. It still looks fabulous.

largeruk

• player
If you ever get the chance to see a film called Mr Bachmann and His Class (Herr Bachmann und Seine Klasse), give it a whirl. It's 217mins long, it's a fly on the wall documentary and it has no narration or script - yeah, I know, it should be a dull, boring and tedious snooze-fest. I almost never watch films that long and especially not documentaries but to my amazement this drew me in and captivated me in a way few films have done. Utterly unexpected.

TLDR; it's about grade 6 class - 12-14 year olds including many (i)migrants - and their teacher in an industrial town in Germany with its own complex history. The film is basically about the relationship and rapport built by the teacher with his students, both collectively and individually. As he tries to develop their understanding of the complexities of the wider world without just filling them with academic facts to pass tests, Bachmann's seemingly haphazard style reveals itself to have another purpose and objective that is being crafted by his gentle but firm wisdom, knowledge and musical skills; to help his class build empathetic, supportive relationships with each other as a buttress against the harsh social and economic realities of their lives while having belief in their own talents and the pursuit of a life that is their own.

The film is basically a human, warm, funny, affecting and ultimately emotional film about the potential of all kids and the value of treating them with respect and dignity. If all that sounds more than a bit 'worthy and wanky art film nonsense', that would do it a great disservice. My fave genres of film are sci-fi and thrillers - this wouldn't normally be my kind of film at all!

If you ever come across the film, give it a whirl even if you think it's absolutely not your kind of thing especially if you have young or teenage kids. To everyone who does give it a go - watch the first hour; if it hasn't drawn you in by then, it's not going to be for you. If you make it beyond an hour, you'll probably end up watching the whole thing. There are plenty of things that could be better about the film - notably it could actually have been shorter, I think, without losing its impact but the rewards far outweigh any faults IMHO.

Finally, apologies for going big on such a niche film. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and find myself still thinking about it which is super rare for me. One of the best films I've watched in quite some time. It's not the easiest film to hunt out (it's on MUBI from time to time, I think) but well worth your time if you do ever come across it.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Everything, everywhere, all at once.
Quite literally. Stuffed full of sight gags, movie references and Kung fu, likely one of the more bonkers films you’ll see this year. Good cast, especially appreciated Jamie Lee Curtis as a fierce tax inspector. Strict minimalists look elsewhere.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I enjoyed it but found it hard work to keep up.

Got round to watching Tenet now on Prime. I enjoyed it, but found it hard work too, need to rewatch now (possibly in rewind!).

Teaboy

• forum hero
Fury on Prime, first good film I’ve watched on there for some time. Wouldn’t say I enjoyed it as it’s a grim watch at times but definitely a reasonable way to while away an evening

Paul B

• forum hero
If you ignore the reality of the various tanks' capabilities then it is indeed a good (gritty watch).

Bradders

• forum hero
The Courier

On Netflix atm. If you like war/espionage films set in the mid-late 20th Century, as I do, then you'll enjoy this. Improves as it goes on as well.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Another Round. Danish, Mads Mikkelsen, Now TV. Very good.

andy popp

• forum hero
Another Round. Danish, Mads Mikkelsen, Now TV. Very good.

Agreed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
If you ignore the reality of the various tanks' capabilities then it is indeed a good (gritty watch).

Explain? All accounts I've read have said the film is pretty accurate. Tigers outclassed Shermans in just about every aspect except speed / maneuverability.

Great film but pretty harrowing.

Paul B

• forum hero
Explain? All accounts I've read have said the film is pretty accurate. Tigers outclassed Shermans in just about every aspect except speed / maneuverability.

It's been a while but isn't there a 3:1 scene? Anyhow, I guess picking holes in action films isn't generally a good idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal