UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120769 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Conversely I though 8 was absolute tripe.

Not saying it's good, just I had very low expectations and it wasn't quite as bad as expected.

I'm pretty sure I've seen all / most of the Alien movies, but after 1 and 2 I can't recall on from the other.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
I've a soft spot for Alien 3. Sniffed at when it came, further doldrumed by Fincher disowning it, but I like it. Decent premise, good monstering, motherhood theme, a few good gags.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/22/alien-3-movie-1992-david-fincher

Let's just not speak about Alien vs Predator though.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Fast and Furious obviously the most consistent series 😂

SA Chris

• forum hero
like Terry Pratchett books; after a while it doesn't matter which ones you have seen, they are all familiar and similar.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I've a soft spot for Alien 3. Sniffed at when it came, further doldrumed by Fincher disowning it, but I like it. Decent premise, good monstering, motherhood theme, a few good gags.

I like all the Alien movies I've seen, other than Prometheus, which I thought was boring and pretentious. Personally I liked all the first four, they are just very different from each other. Alien: horror movie. Aliens: basically a Vietnam war movie in space. Alien 3: David Fincher stylised darkness like Seven or π, but in space with a xenomorph... Etc.

Terminator, agree with others one and two are brilliant, one especially so, but I have enjoyed them all to an extent.

I'd suggest (contraversially?) Blade runner. Original: one of my favourite films. 2049: I thought was shite.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

I'd suggest (contraversially?) Blade runner. Original: one of my favourite films. 2049: I thought was shite.

I remember you not being a fan of Dune either, Villneuve’s epic pace too slow for you?

Duma

• forum hero

You are of course entitled to your incorrect opinion ;-)

SA Chris

• forum hero
How about Highlander? One great film, the rest utter cods. Well I am guessing they are cods, i gave up after the second.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Alien 3 good in it's own right, I like that they didn't try to do the sci-fi action flick of Aliens and kept it more claustrophobic and low-key. Couldn't watch Resurrection on principle of Ripley being dead. Prometheus and Covenant almost okay in their own right but wasted huge potential.

Terminator Salvation was a genuinely and surprisingly decent film. Not nearly as classic but not bad at all.

BR2049 great as any fule kno.

Just throwing an 0:02 in the mix.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
How about Highlander? One great film, the rest utter cods. Well I am guessing they are cods, i gave up after the second.
Similar to the Police Academy series then  ;)

Paul B

• forum hero

There can be only one?

TobyD

• forum hero
I remember you not being a fan of Dune either, Villneuve’s epic pace too slow for you?
You are of course entitled to your incorrect opinion ;-)

It's not a question of epic pace or something,  it's a question of trying to be all mysterious and long winded as a substitute for any intellectual heft. Some of these film makers need to take their heads out of their own behinds, and remember that they are not directing a Brecht or Chekov play on celluloid (yes I know its digitised really) and be entertaining as well.  The original blade runner dealt concisely with the issue of AI as in the source material, which is after all, a really short story.
It didn't need a 3 hour sequel,  which succeeds only in doing this less well. 

I maintain you're all wrong. 

Wellsy

• forum hero
I thought 2049 was absolutely great but I can get why some people would hate it

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

It didn't need a 3 hour sequel,  which succeeds only in doing this less well. 

I maintain you're all wrong.

Us, film critics and awards shows!

It’s 3 hours of beauty, I’d quite happily watch cinematography that good for a film about talking cats or something. I think the story addresses different issues to the first, more current issues.

I’m kinda sad for you that you didn’t enjoy that and Dune more than anything else, as it feels like you’re missing out as someone who obviously likes watching films.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Might go back back and rewatch Dune and 2049 just to remind myself how good they are. Gutted still a long wait for the next Dune film.

Be like the guy who threw a chocolate sweet in his herb garden; Revel in your Thyme.

Wellsy

• forum hero
One thing I really liked about those movies is that they took themselves pretty seriously and allowed the heavy tone to be present and not undercut. A nice antidote to the quippy jokefests that are the Marvel movies

Incidentally I rewatched Fellowship of the Ring recently and its still brilliant

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Blade Runner 2049 didn't really do it for me either. Maybe my attention span is too short. I'll probably rewatch at some point with a more open mind. I keep the original shrink wrapped on a pedestal, as an all time great. 2049 kinda felt like another sci fi movie, which is fine. The good people of IMDB give it 8.0, a whisker behind the 8.1 original.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Which original? ;)

TobyD

• forum hero
I didn't dislike Dune, btw, I was just perhaps not nearly as enthusiastic as some people were about it.  This may be because I saw it at home; no doubt it's much better on a cinema screen.  It was still pretty cool though. 

I'm still sceptical about 2049, although I might rewatch it at some point. 

Carliios

Watched Prey last night (the new predator film) and I thought it was fantastic - bonus points if you watch it in Comanche with subtitles. Well worth a watch if you’re looking for a film this weekend. On Disney+

andy popp

• forum hero
Watched about the first third of "Once Upon a Time in America" last night (started watching too late and it is nearly four hours). And, just wow! I don't know what I was expecting, probably something cornier, but it's magnificent. As much as anything I loved the incredible portrait it paints of the Lower East Side in the early twentieth-century. Can't wait for more tonight.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
That’s a great film. I’d be interested to know what you make of the ending when you get there.

seankenny

• forum hero
I only just saw this for the first time fairly recently and it is indeed excellent. In the 20s New York was where the future was being made and this film gives a great sense of that.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
It’s the world that Once Upon aTime in the West gives birth to. Not a completely optimistic vision.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Ghost Writer

I thought this was pretty good, an entertaining TV movie with a great cast. I might have seen it years ago but if so couldn't remember anything about it.
Recommended, as it's on Netflix, it won't change your life but it's an enjoyable evening.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal