UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1136444 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Top Gun Maverick

For the first few minutes,  you wonder if you're watching the old one (mark kermode said this but it is true) especially as Cruise doesn't age at all. Its not complicated, sophisticated or thought provoking; but if you like 80s nostalgia,  or really impressive fighter planes going very,  very fast and doing ridiculous manouevres, its great fun.
Cheesier than a tartiflette, but I loved it. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Seconded. We saw it at the IMAX this evening and loved it. A proper blockbuster.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
It's so good isn't it. We went to see it this morning before going to the crag and made us smile alot.
I want a plane now...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
especially as Cruise doesn't age at all.

The Indian Face FA was the same year as Top Gun came out…

TobyD

• forum hero
especially as Cruise doesn't age at all.

The Indian Face FA was the same year as Top Gun came out…

Crazy isn't it. Thatcher was PM, hardly anyone had heard of the internet... Etc etc

Paul B

• forum hero
It's so good isn't it. We went to see it this morning before going to the crag and made us smile alot.
I want a plane now...

Nike Air

• forum abuser
Haha fantastic. I know Toms small but didn't think he was that tiny.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
I want a plane now...

You can be my wingman anytime goose  🤣

Nike Air

• forum abuser
Am I spoiling it for anyone telling you goose no more. Its all about the rooster now..

Paul B

• forum hero

This is always worth a post:

Wellsy

• forum hero
I really need to see the new Top Gun.

I also really need to see Men, at the other end of the spectrum

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
I really need to see the new Top Gun.
I also really need to see Men, at the other end of the spectrum

Funnily enough they accidentally sold us a ticket for Top Gun when we went to see Men at the weekend. I was chuckling at the thought of the 2 fan bases overlapping (I would like to see Top Gun though).

Men: 3.5* out of 5. Really good to look at, some proper creepy atmospherics and quality performances. A sort of feminist modern day Brit Horror but just a bit heavy handed in the latter parts. It didn't help that I found (one of the) Roy Kinnear's to be channeling a David Walliams oddball from Little Britain. I also wouldn't have been surprised if members of the Hot Fuzz or This Country cast had wandered onto set.

Boiling Point - tick, technical triumph. As well as Stephen Graham, Vinette Robinson that played Carly did a fine job.

Notable catchups: Blade Runner (see also Vangelis ref: RIP thread), Kill Bill 1, Pulp Fiction, still enjoying daughter's new ticklist mentality.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
If you're going to see top gun try and make sure you do so in IMAX it'd be well worth it.

Bradders

• forum hero

This is always worth a post:

Fantastic, that channel is worthy of the Best of YouTube thread!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I know Toms small but didn't think he was that tiny.

OI!

TobyD

• forum hero
Anyone know where operation mincemeat is available? It says it's a Netflix movie online, but doesn't seem to be available on there. Perhaps it hasn't been released yet?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Looks like it was a regional release, so only Netflix in the Americas and went to cinema release here.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Looks like it was a regional release, so only Netflix in the Americas and went to cinema release here.

Just get a vpn so you can watch netflix American version.

slab_happy

• forum hero
I recognize that "1980s lesbian politics" might not be an obvious sell for some here, but Rebel Dykes is an absolute blast.

Joy, fun, rage, pr0n, punk, S&M, Greenham Common, baby oil wrestling, Debbie Smith of Echobelly, and abseiling into the House of Lords:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/rentals/film/watch-rebel-dykes-2021-online

Genuinely important re: the fight against Section 28, the emergence of sex-positive feminism, trans inclusion, etc., but also just an absolute fucking blast.

Instant flashbacks for everyone old enough to remember the "BEEB MAN SITS ON LESBIAN" headline, historical education for those too young.

Now free to watch on All 4 through the rest of July:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/rebel-dykes

TobyD

• forum hero
Rewatched Oceans Eleven last night, having last seen it years ago. What a finely crafted, conscise movie it is. 2 hours of uncompleted entertainment devoid of any pretensions, I'd forgotten how good it is.

It's on Netflix.

TobyD

• forum hero
Rewatched Oceans Eleven last night, having last seen it years ago. What a finely crafted, conscise movie it is. 2 hours of uncompleted entertainment devoid of any pretensions, I'd forgotten how good it is.

It's on Netflix.

On the other hand,  Oceans Twelve is unmitigatedly tedious,  vacuous and not even the strange appearance of Bruce Willis as himself half way through saves it, even a little bit.  I usually really like many of the actors in it, I like heist movies but this really is awful. 
Is this the least consistent of a series of movies? Jurassic park/ world? The Exorcist movies?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures

Is this the least consistent of a series of movies? Jurassic park/ world? The Exorcist movies?

The podcast Cult Popture does a regular series “Film Franchise Fortnights” in which the hosts (New Zealish ex-film students) watch each of the films in a series and report back on them. Many of the series turn out to be inconsistent. Here’s the “Ocean’s…” one.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

It's on Netflix.

On the other hand,  Oceans Twelve is unmitigatedly tedious,  vacuous and not even the strange appearance of Bruce Willis as himself half way through saves it, even a little bit.  I usually really like many of the actors in it, I like heist movies but this really is awful. 

Alien/s? 1st good horror, 2nd good action, rest are pap. Likewise T1 and T2, after which quality falls off a cliff. I enjoyed Oceans 8 more than expected though.

Bradders

• forum hero
Alien/s? 1st good horror, 2nd good action, rest are pap. Likewise T1 and T2, after which quality falls off a cliff. I enjoyed Oceans 8 more than expected though.

I actually have a real soft spot for Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. Always enjoyed them just as much as the first two.

Conversely I though 8 was absolute tripe.

Terminator is on the money though. It's not like the subsequent films are all completely awful, and I think Salvation is genuinely good, but the first two set such a high bar.

Durbs

• forum hero

Alien/s? 1st good horror, 2nd good action, rest are pap.

Even more so if you include Covenant and Prometheus... So much potential, wasted. Urgh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal