UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120474 times)

seankenny

• forum hero
For all its faults - overlong, occasionally a bit portentous- Heat is absolutely one of my favourite films and has to have some of the best heist scenes ever made.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I am a massive Mann fan too. Heat is currently on Netflix, and I think Amazon Prime too. Think one of them is the Director's Cut as well.

Bizarre circle, when you mentioned Manhunt a few posts back i initially thought you were referring to Mann's Manhunter, (which was later remade as Red Dragon).

crzylgs

• stalker
I am a massive Mann fan too. Heat is currently on Netflix, and I think Amazon Prime too. Think one of them is the Director's Cut as well.

Heat is a clear standout of the genre. So many imitations and knock-offs over the years. Some of them pretty decent in their own right but I don't think any film has toppled it from the top spot.

For you Mann fans, Collateral is definitely worth a (re)watch - Really enjoyed Tom Cruise in a very 'off brand' role playing the bad guy. Some of his lines of dialogue are absolutely incredible:

''Okay, look, here's the deal. Man, you were gonna drive me around tonight, never be the wiser, but El Gordo got in front of a window, did his high dive, we're into Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.''

''Well, tens of thousands killed before sundown. Nobody's killed people that fast since Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Did you bat an eye, Max?... Did you join Amnesty International, Oxfam, Save the Whales, Greenpeace, or something? No. I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit.''

Get you in the mood for what I'm sure is a very different performance in the new Top Gun and next Mission Impossible that is being churned out.

Paul B

• forum hero
Heat is a clear standout of the genre. So many imitations and knock-offs over the years. Some of them pretty decent in their own right but I don't think any film has toppled it from the top spot.

For you Mann fans, Collateral is definitely worth a (re)watch - Really enjoyed Tom Cruise in a very 'off brand' role playing the bad guy. Some of his lines of dialogue are absolutely incredible:

Agreed on both fronts. I've also re-watched a load of the Tom Cruise classics over the past few months and I've thoroughly enjoyed them all (having sidestepped Cocktail obviously). Was I just in a really bad mood watching Nobody?

crzylgs

• stalker
Was I just in a really bad mood watching Nobody?

I can see it not being for everyone. Personally I really like Bob Odenkirk - fan of his early comedy in Mr House(i think it was?). He was one of the best bits in Breaking Bad and imo Better Call Saul has surpassed that show! So I just went along for the ride. Have actually watched Nobody about 3 times now, couple of times as 'background noise' on my second monitor when I don't want to have to fully focus on the film and can just perk up for a couple of the more wild sequences.

Admittedly, I have a strange affinity for films that know exactly what they are, don't try to ride above their level but execute their mission statement. A while back I mentioned on here about the 'Garbage-Crime' binge I went on inspired by talk of it on a film podcast. Nobody is similar. It's not trying to be an AAA* summer blockbuster, not trying to be Oscar bate, not taking itself over seriously. The fight/action scenes are never going to match something like The Raid for example, but in its own slightly off-kilter, amusing way delivered a pleasant surprise for me.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

For all its faults - overlong, occasionally a bit portentous- Heat is absolutely one of my favourite films and has to have some of the best heist scenes ever made.

And obviously, it has this remarkable exchange in it too!

crzylgs

• stalker
Iconic Pacino :D

SA Chris

• forum hero
youtube at work blocks links, but i know exactly what it is.....

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I'd be happy with a whole thread dedicated to the greatness of Mann. I think manhunter and thief are unbelievably good too.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
youtube at work blocks links, but i know exactly what it is.....

Supposedly in the early drafts of the script, Pacino's character had a coke habit - scenes explicitly showing his coke use were cut, but scenes like the "great ass" one are a legacy of it - Pacino was playing it as though he was high.

If anyone wants to relive the experience / find out more about the making of Heat, I highly recommend listening to the Ringer Rewatchables podcast episodes on it.  It's the hosts' favourite film so they've covered it three times.  The most recent occasion was with Michael Mann - really interesting stuff up about the script, actors, and filming.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/7/16109854/hall-of-fame-heat-with-bill-simmons-and-chris-ryan

https://www.theringer.com/2020/1/24/21079798/the-re-heat-with-bill-simmons-and-chris-ryan

https://www.theringer.com/2021/11/2/22758064/the-three-heat-with-bill-simmons-chris-ryan-and-michael-mann

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Was I just in a really bad mood watching Nobody?

I can see it not being for everyone. Personally I really like Bob Odenkirk - fan of his early comedy in Mr House(i think it was?). He was one of the best bits in Breaking Bad and imo Better Call Saul has surpassed that show! So I just went along for the ride. Have actually watched Nobody about 3 times now, couple of times as 'background noise' on my second monitor when I don't want to have to fully focus on the film and can just perk up for a couple of the more wild sequences.

Admittedly, I have a strange affinity for films that know exactly what they are, don't try to ride above their level but execute their mission statement. A while back I mentioned on here about the 'Garbage-Crime' binge I went on inspired by talk of it on a film podcast. Nobody is similar. It's not trying to be an AAA* summer blockbuster, not trying to be Oscar bate, not taking itself over seriously. The fight/action scenes are never going to match something like The Raid for example, but in its own slightly off-kilter, amusing way delivered a pleasant surprise for me.

Great summary, I think I'll watch this at some point now, I also like movies that don't get ideas above their station. I like some arty complicated international movies, and I like Pacific Rim. Nothing wrong with a cheesy popcorn film that knows what it is! This is also why the Matrix slightly pissed me off, too much pretend philosophy.

I also like most Tom Cruise movies, at least a bit. A few good men is classic. He actually has a bit of range: Rainman, Jerry Maguire, Top Gun, Collateral....

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
On the Tom Cruise / Mann thing - I actually watched Collateral at the big Cineworld out on the edge of Sheffield when I was down visiting a mate, the weekend it came out.

Obviously pretty blown away by it, and afterwards we were discussing what we thought about it, and his very thoughtful Syrian housemate pondered for a while and said "I didn't like it...you can't kill Tom Cruise in a movie".

Led us to think - is it the only film where you see his character die? I haven't seen his whole back catalogue, but I reckon it's one of the few!

crzylgs

• stalker
He dies a few times in Edge of Tomorrow :P

But also can't think of another legitimate time he dies... Or when he ever plays the 'villain' to the extent he does in Collateral? Zero character development. Starts of the with a list of people to kill and shows no remorse or will to change at any point! It really is a shame for the last 10yrs we've only had god/hero figure Cruise in films. He used to challenge himself with a much wider range of roles.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Or when he ever plays the 'villain' to the extent he does in Collateral?

Well he is a Nazi in Valkyrie, although he isn't a "bad" one.

And when do Hollywood leads ever die? Not never, but rarely.

Bradders

• forum hero
Does he die in Valkyrie? I feel like he might do but it's been a while. He is 100% a good guy in it though, or at least portrayed as one despite the context. 

Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favourite guilty pleasure type films. Always an easy watch. Likewise Collateral, which considering the limited set up (and presumably the relatively tiny budget) is pretty much perfect all the way through.

crzylgs

• stalker
Or when he ever plays the 'villain' to the extent he does in Collateral?

Well he is a Nazi in Valkyrie, although he isn't a "bad" one.

Ahh... I've not actually seen Valkyrie.

Good point tbh! But it isn't just not dying, he really stopped taking risking/interesting roles post the ~2005 Scientology madness reveals. Reverted to the safe space of Mission Impossible, where he can always be the best, most intelligent, morally correct, flawless hero/God/saviour character.

crzylgs

• stalker
Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favourite guilty pleasure type films. Always an easy watch. Likewise Collateral, which considering the limited set up (and presumably the relatively tiny budget) is pretty much perfect all the way through.

Edge of Tomorrow is excellent - no need for it to be a guilty pleasure imo! Not entirely sure it sticks the ending but it was a really fun twist on the 'Groudhog Day' principle.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

But it isn't just not dying, he really stopped taking risking/interesting roles post the ~2005 Scientology madness reveals. Reverted to the safe space of Mission Impossible, where he can always be the best, most intelligent, morally correct, flawless hero/God/saviour character.

I think this is unfair to Cruise, and Hollywood. The decline in mainstream interesting grown up movies is a function of the decline in cinema attendance, and the vast value of the Chinese market.
If you are going to invest $XX million in a movie, you want guaranteed return, so it needs to be able to appeal to the maximum number of markets. Hence the endless stream of (in my opinion!) tedious Marvel movies which don't differ very much or challenge anyone with more than one brain cell. That said lots of people don't want to be challenged, and there is lots of really interesting, innovative movie making out there, from the US, the UK and many other countries. 1917 was a big screen mainstream film for instance, in which almost everyone dies, and with some ground breaking cinematography.
I also like the Mission Impossible films, incidentally. They do exactly what you expect, are silly, unchallenging and don't take themselves too seriously.

seankenny

• forum hero
Inspired by this thread I rewatched Heat yesterday and it’s even better than I remembered it. Lots of little details I missed before, and Prime gives you interesting little bits of trivia and background too. Three hours well spent!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
We just watched Summit of the Gods.
My wife's review: "that was absolutely wank".

remus

• forum hero
Everything Everywhere All at Once - Christopher Nolan meets Stanley Kubrick meets Jackie Chan? Comedy, drama, action movie, surrealist trip with pathos and poignancy. Those familiar with Michelle Yeoh's work will enjoy her tongue in cheeky nods to her back catalogue. There's also an ongoing homage to Ratatouille. On one level it's a chaotic film with so many ideas & images thrown into it (including butt plugs!) that it could have been a complete mess but somehow it manages to be both entertaining and existential. One of the best films I've seen in a while. Well worth a watch.

Watched this eve, what a wild trip. Highly recommended.

Bradders

• forum hero
Into the Wild

Few years old now but my wife and I finished watching this last night (had to spread it out over 3 nights, because, y'know, life etc.). It's a bittersweet, romantic story told and filmed beautifully. The whole thing has left me feeling very conflicted. The film is very much a slow burner but I recommend sticking with it, many of the most poignant moments are right towards the end.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Yep. Did the book proud. Definitely a story for our times.

Grizzly Man covers similar terrain in a tragicomic doc style - recommended.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
There’s a couple of good documentary’s made post-Into the Wild.  The Call of the Wild and Return to the Wild. We watched the latter recently. Has a lot of the McLandless family in it, mainly his sister.  Worthwhile if you’re interested in the story.

JB - the soundtrack for Grizzly Man is ace. Richard Thompson and Jim O’Rourke noodling on guitars.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Munich: Edge of War on Netflix. Standard Brit flick spy drama type stuff, but very watchable saying that. Generates a remarkable amount of tension given that if you don't already know what happens you've been lobotomized. Jeremy Irons, and the guy who's in 1917 act very well in it. I really liked it overall.

I'd avoided this as it didn't scrape 7 on IMDB but watched it last night on this recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyed it. As Toby says, it manages to be very tense.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal