UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1136009 times)

dunnyg

• forum hero
Also watched this the other day and enjoyed it, agree it could have been pretty crap without the leads.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
A Cure For Wellness

Again can't remember if it was mentioned before. I thoroughly enjoyed this, despite it being a bit drawn out and having a bit of a corny ending, for most of the film it was very well done and really quite sinister and creepy - definitely kept me intrigued!

Also some aspects of the whole "cure for wellness" / cult thing were quite timely in view of the recent epic vaccine bantathon on here  ;)

crzylgs

• stalker
Has anyone watched the new Ghostbusters... My instincts were that it'd be a load of rubbish, trading on nostalgia and lame fan pleasing moments. However, a friend (who lets say isn't top of my list for trustworthy recommendations...) seemed to think it's rather good, harmless fun.

Any second opinions?

crzylgs

• stalker
A Cure For Wellness

This looks interesting. I do love some Jason Isaacs, especially when he is playing the creepy/weird doctor similar The OA.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Has anyone watched the new Ghostbusters... My instincts were that it'd be a load of rubbish, trading on nostalgia and lame fan pleasing moments. However, a friend (who lets say isn't top of my list for trustworthy recommendations...) seemed to think it's rather good, harmless fun.

Any second opinions?

Some friends said it was pretty enjoyable. They're not high-brow film types, but also not trashaholicks.

slab_happy

• forum hero
I recognize that "1980s lesbian politics" might not be an obvious sell for some here, but Rebel Dykes is an absolute blast.

Joy, fun, rage, pr0n, punk, S&M, Greenham Common, baby oil wrestling, Debbie Smith of Echobelly, and abseiling into the House of Lords:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/rentals/film/watch-rebel-dykes-2021-online

Genuinely important re: the fight against Section 28, the emergence of sex-positive feminism, trans inclusion, etc., but also just an absolute fucking blast.

Instant flashbacks for everyone old enough to remember the "BEEB MAN SITS ON LESBIAN" headline, historical education for those too young.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
I recognize that "1980s lesbian politics" might not be an obvious sell for some here, but Rebel Dykes is an absolute blast.
:punk: Instant sell for me - psyched to watch this later! :popcorn:

IanP

• forum abuser

Agreed, sounds well worth watching.

Don't generally watch enough films to post on here but by strange coincidence watched Pride a few weeks ago - more mainstream but covers a similar period loosely based on the true story of LGSM (Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners) in the mid 80s; who knew that a benefit concert called Pits and Perverts was held in London and 1984 headlined by Bronski Beat!?

In the line of gritty(ish) British dramas like Brassed Off, Full Monty etc, it's not particularly subtle but has a great cast and is really entertaining.

slab_happy

• forum hero
Have a (NSFW!) trailer:

slab_happy

• forum hero

Agreed, sounds well worth watching.

Don't generally watch enough films to post on here but by strange coincidence watched Pride a few weeks ago - more mainstream but covers a similar period loosely based on the true story of LGSM (Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners) in the mid 80s; who knew that a benefit concert called Pits and Perverts was held in London and 1984 headlined by Bronski Beat!?

In the line of gritty(ish) British dramas like Brassed Off, Full Monty etc, it's not particularly subtle but has a great cast and is really entertaining.

Incidentally (and because it's World Aids Day), you might be pleased to know that Jonathan Blake (played by Dominic West in Pride) is still alive and well and fighting the good fight -- he's in Sky's new documentary series Positive.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Red Notice (Netflix)
Read some shit reviews for this but I thought it was very enjoyable, possibly carried by the two charismatic stars though.

I agree, very entertaining but extremely silly. I enjoyed it, a great film to see on a plane flight or long train journey.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Went back to the IMAX for another sitting of Dune yesterday, so good to be able to soak up more of the details. Think this might be the first film I’ve watched twice at the cinema, which is a sign of how much I love it I guess!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Went back to the IMAX for another sitting of Dune yesterday, so good to be able to soak up more of the details. Think this might be the first film I’ve watched twice at the cinema, which is a sign of how much I love it I guess!

Finally managed to get to the Imax yesterday for the first time to see Dune for the first time. Not much to say really, very good even if you're not a big scifi fan.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Tokyo Godfathers. An Anime Christmas story of sorts. The Godfathers are a runaway teenage girl, alcoholic man, and trans. woman living on the streets. They find an abandoned baby and try to trace her parents whilst we learn a little more about their backstories. Dickensian in the range of characters, multiple plot strands, and outrageous coincidences, verging on the magical in the final act. From 2003 but re-released with a new dub this year. On Netflix.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Tokyo Godfathers. An Anime Christmas story of sorts. The Godfathers are a runaway teenage girl, alcoholic man, and trans. woman living on the streets. They find an abandoned baby and try to trace her parents whilst we learn a little more about their backstories. Dickensian in the range of characters, multiple plot strands, and outrageous coincidences, verging on the magical in the final act. From 2003 but re-released with a new dub this year. On Netflix.
I really enjoyed Tokyo Godfathers. Totally subverted my expectations.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Watched Tomorrow War with my son on Saturday arvo. Action / Cheese fest but good fun, and both enjoyed it, lots of exploding aliens.

Until I raised the old issues around time travel with him, which bent his brain a bit.

TobyD

• forum hero
Once upon a time in Hollywood

I liked this perhaps the least of any Tarantino film I've seen, although it's still entertaining it lacked the wit of inglorious bastards, or the stylish violence of his earlier films. It is ultimately a film about the cinema industry and despite some good scenes it felt a little too self indulgent to be brilliant. I'd still give it 7/10 though.

Davo

• obsessive maniac

I liked this perhaps the least of any Tarantino film I've seen, although it's still entertaining it lacked the wit of inglorious bastards, or the stylish violence of his earlier films. It is ultimately a film about the cinema industry and despite some good scenes it felt a little too self indulgent to be brilliant. I'd still give it 7/10 though.

I watched it with pretty much no info about it and quite low expectations and was pleasantly surprised and therefore really enjoyed it. I liked the reworking of history and Brad Pitt and DiCaprio are both very good. 7/10 seems fair

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I thought “Don’t look up” might be quite witty and entertaining. Sat down with entire family to watch it. There was the odd moment but it just dragged on, labouring the same point. Felt very uncomfortable with the mocking of autistic tendencies. Cast looked great. As a list, it was, as an ensemble it sucked.
It would have worked as an SNL half hour special but 2 hours and 18 minutes?
No idea why it’s been popular. Even to this politically sympathetic family, it was OTT. Edit an hour out of it, maybe 7/10, as is, 4/10.

IanP

• forum abuser
Don't watch that many films (too much TV to watch!) but mention of Stop Making Sense on another thread reminded me that I don't think Summer of Soul has been mentioned on here.

I thought this was brilliant. some amazing performances intermixed with great background and interviews, really one of the great concert films and incredible the footage has been hidden away for so long.

andy popp

• forum hero
Agreed. I also thought Summer of Soul was brilliant, both for the history and for the performances.

There’s an equally worthwhile documentary about the live recording of Aretha Franklin’s classic gospel album (in a church in LA if I remember) - some absolutely thrilling performances.

TobyD

• forum hero

I watched it with pretty much no info about it and quite low expectations and was pleasantly surprised and therefore really enjoyed it. I liked the reworking of history and Brad Pitt and DiCaprio are both very good. 7/10 seems fair

Yes, I'd agree, they are both entertaining in pretty much every movie they're in. If my review seems harsh, its probably because I love Tarantino movies and had high expectations,  which it only partly met.

I thought “Don’t look up” might be quite witty and entertaining. Sat down with entire family to watch it. There was the odd moment but it just dragged on, labouring the same point. Felt very uncomfortable with the mocking of autistic tendencies. Cast looked great. As a list, it was, as an ensemble it sucked.
It would have worked as an SNL half hour special but 2 hours and 18 minutes?
No idea why it’s been popular. Even to this politically sympathetic family, it was OTT. Edit an hour out of it, maybe 7/10, as is, 4/10.

Thanks for that I'd been intending to watch that but perhaps I wont bother!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I don't watch a lot of films, my wife has the remote control and she's already seen them. Don't look up is entertaining, a bit overlong and flashy but sags in the middle rather than drags at the end. It's nice to see a Chris Morris style satire get such big treatment, of course being american and not Morris at the helm there isn't much subtlety. Beefs: (spacewanker pedant obvs) the unrealistic way the science is done and released, the way they still can't help portraying the US as both all that matters and the only ones who could save us (after years relying on russia to taxi them to the ISS) but the big one is that they are trying to do a huge wake up call while preaching squarely to the converted.

Also watched The Rescue, Chinny Jim and co's doc on the Thai cave rescue. The story is incredible and benefits from the deep dive into details. Just astonishing. I didn't think the doc was that well done, the start is messy, the geography of the cave is never really made clear despite fancy graphic overviews, and the recreated diving footage is downright misleading. When a British cave diver describes it as a muddly hole with zero vis, or whitewater caving, the footage bears no resemblance. But fuck me what a story. I'd thought the kids might be traumatised but I'm more worried for the rescuers now.

Bradders

• forum hero
I was surprised to find that "The Last Duel" is on Disney+ already having only just been in cinemas. Tbh I stuck it on in the background whilst training, but was rapidly sucked in and by the end fully absorbed. Interesting story, well told, doesn't get boring despite essentially seeing the same events three times in a row. Well worth a watch. Made me want to read the book it's based on as well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal