UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120496 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
I don't know why but it's taken me a while to get psyched to sit down and watch Bohemian Rhapsody. What a film. I ended up playing Queen's greatest hits for days afterwards.

Joe. I'd never heard of it but thought Cage was brilliant. It had plenty of "getting old and starting to feel it" vibes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Army of the dead (Netflix)

It looks like a poorer version of the Zombieland films (which I really liked) so was put off a bit. Better or worse?

tomtom

• forum hero

It looks like a poorer version of the Zombieland films (which I really liked) so was put off a bit. Better or worse?

Not seen any of them Chris. so no idea how it would hold up. I expect you'd get a feel for how it was after the first 10-15 min... It had a wee bit of a saggy bit in the middle but otherwise romped along in typical zombie stylee for 2 hours..

It had a good ending too (I thought).

SA Chris

• forum hero
If you like that sort of thing - Zombie / comedy they are worth a look. First is a bit better.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Nomadland is cracking. Highly recommend a watch.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Ok, coming out of the zombie closet... also enjoyed The Silence, Cargo and #Alive. Latter might appeal to fans of the Korean breakthrough thing Parasite.

SA Chris

• forum hero
or Train to Busan?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I don't know why but it's taken me a while to get psyched to sit down and watch Bohemian Rhapsody. What a film. I ended up playing Queen's greatest hits for days afterwards.

I enjoyed this, and likewise Rocketman, the Elton John one, is in a very similar vein.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Really looking forward to seeing this at some point, weather's been too good to go to the cinema though!

TobyD

• forum hero
Moneyball on Netflix, a movie about baseball and data analysis. This sounds unutterably dull, but in fact it's a study of motivation, and triumph of an idea over pure financial muscle. Recommended.

tomtom

• forum hero
Moneyball on Netflix, a movie about baseball and data analysis. This sounds unutterably dull, but in fact it's a study of motivation, and triumph of an idea over pure financial muscle. Recommended.

The Brad Pitt film? If so great. One of his better roles.

TobyD

• forum hero

The Brad Pitt film? If so great. One of his better roles.

Yes I agree that he's excellent in it, although I think he's frequently very good. Fight Club, Twelve Monkeys, even the Ocean's movies although they are of a type.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I thought he was great in Fury too, though I found it a hard film to watch.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I thought he was great in Fury too, though I found it a hard film to watch.

He was about the only redeeming factor in that shell-shock inducing monstrosity!

I like Brad Pitt, even in his less great roles. Always watchable.  Not seen Moneyball yet, but I might check it out this weekend.  :icon_beerchug:

tomtom

• forum hero
He was strangely good in a comedy/parody role in Burn After Reading - but I do love Cohen Bros films!!!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
He was strangely good in a comedy/parody role in Burn After Reading - but I do love Cohen Bros films!!!

He's always been good in comedic roles - right back to Floyd in True Romance.  He was funny (if disturbing) in Inglorius Basterds (“...we’re in the killin’ Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin’.”).

TobyD

• forum hero
Since you've all weighed in with more Pitt movies,  I was actually going to say originally Thelma and Louise, in which hes surprisingly good IIRC, although it's a long time since I saw it.
I thought I'd sound like too much of a film geek if I did, which I probably do anyway.  Anyway,  if any of you haven't seen Moneyball,  do so.

seankenny

• forum hero
Pitt is also excellent in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", which is an awesome film (apart from the five minute crescendo of violence at the end).

TobyD

• forum hero
Pitt is also excellent in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", which is an awesome film (apart from the five minute crescendo of violence at the end).

Nice one, that reminds me I haven't seen it yet

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I've seen Moneyball a couple of times. It's great. Quite a similar feel to The Big Short.

TobyD

• forum hero

I saw Nomadland today. What a beautiful movie. I'd highly recommend anyone see this, and on a big screen while it is around. The sound and the cinematography really need a cinema to come across I would guess, it is mournful, touching and occasionally mildly amusing. Frances McDormand is just as good in it as she is in Fargo or 3 Billboards... It's certainly not an action movie or remotely fast paced, but as long as that is what you're in the mood for, I think most people would love it. 9/10 or something like that.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Not seen any of them Chris. so no idea how it would hold up. I expect you'd get a feel for how it was after the first 10-15 min... It had a wee bit of a saggy bit in the middle but otherwise romped along in typical zombie stylee for 2 hours..

It had a good ending too (I thought).

I watched it, thought it was OK, but some bits were just a bit too silly even for my low levels of entertainment. Found most of the characters pretty annoying too. Not really a direct comparison, but prefer Zombieland for the humour, and the characters, plus better known stars seem to have a lot of fun in it.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I watched it, thought it was OK, but some bits were just a bit too silly even for my low levels of entertainment. Found most of the characters pretty annoying too. Not really a direct comparison, but prefer Zombieland for the humour, and the characters, plus better known stars seem to have a lot of fun in it.

NSFW  :
It was pointed out in one of the online reviews that, if the zombie head was more valuable than the cash as noted, then they could have had a 10 min film by just employing the coyote to get it for them and miss out the heist bit all together! 

SA Chris

• forum hero

Indeed - more spoilers below
NSFW  :
Totally agree. Also, why was the guy locked in the safe, when did he get bitten, why hadn't he changed like everyone else and how did he get out of the safe. And why didn't he get radiation poisoning?

And why did the 3 women even go into Vegas in the first place?

SA Chris

• forum hero
After watching Army of the Dead, thought i fancied a bit more of a Zombie fix, so went on to watch the Korean move Train to Busan - Terminal. And guess what, AotD is a blatant rip-off of the storyline from that.  The Korean version is better though, more splattering.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal