UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1121049 times)

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
I must confess to liking a bit of meandering in the right movie... it doesn't always have to be plot leads to event, leads to resolution.  Maybe it's my age.  :fishing: I even watched all the deleted scenes and two alternative endings included in the bluray. :coffee:

Paul B

• forum hero
Only the Brave has recently been added to Prime. We enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
NSFW  :
If you've watched it, the fact that it's based on a real story is pretty tragic with 19 dead, the oldest around 43 and the youngest aged just 22!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
 Watched "a Most Wanted Man" on All4 yesterday. Good le Carre adaptation. Philip Seymour Hoffman is very good.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I should think this one has been mentioned, but I’d avoided it until today, despite it’s 2014 release.

It’s on Netflix. Quite a hard watch, riveting despite knowing the story and outcome well.

Kajaki.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Possibly one of the hardest films I've ever watched, knowing it's based on a true story.

Of all the war films I've ever watched, possibly one of the most terrifying situation you could find yourself in.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
trial of the Chicago seven
On Netflix.  Passable entertainment but all a bit worthy and not quite as good as it thinks it is. That sounds harsh, it wasn't bad at all,  I think I was just expecting something a bit better. Sacha BC is fairly good as Abbie Hoffman. 
As a TV movie,  it's fine, but if I'd coughed up £10 for a cinema ticket, I think it would have been really disappointing. 

sheavi

• menacing presence
The Captain (2017 German Film) on Netflix. Dark

Davo

• obsessive maniac

Not seen it but just searched for this and couldn’t find it on Netflix but is on Amazon Videos

sheavi

• menacing presence

Not seen it but just searched for this and couldn’t find it on Netflix but is on Amazon Videos

Sorry yes my mistake - Amazon Prime.

TobyD

• forum hero
White Tiger
On Netflix; I quite like this, its a little Parasite-esque in that it is about inequality and although it's nowhere near as good as Parasite, it does have some strong characters and quite funny moments. Its a shame that it won't be shown in cinemas, as I think a lot of the atmosphere of the locations is diminished on the small screen. It is still definitely worth watching though, maybe 7/10?

seankenny

• forum hero
The Farewell (Netflix)

Billie, a Chinese-American woman, goes back to China on a family visit, ostensibly for a wedding. The real reason is that her grandmother has terminal cancer - but the family have decided to keep the diagnosis secret from the old lady. Obviously Billie thinks this is nuts but she has to put up with it. Really enjoyable family drama and lots of great performances.

Is Love Enough Sir? (Netflix)
Ratna moves from the village to Mumbai to become a maid, but her first job doesn't work out as she expects. The plot was a bit obvious, but I found the evocation of modern urban India really good and the woman who plays Ratna puts in an excellent and totally believable performance. In Hindi, but not a masala movie.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Farewell (Netflix)

Billie, a Chinese-American woman, goes back to China on a family visit, ostensibly for a wedding. The real reason is that her grandmother has terminal cancer - but the family have decided to keep the diagnosis secret from the old lady. Obviously Billie thinks this is nuts but she has to put up with it. Really enjoyable family drama and lots of great performances.

Ratna moves from the village to Mumbai to become a maid, but her first job doesn't work out as she expects. The plot was a bit obvious, but I found the evocation of modern urban India really good and the woman who plays Ratna puts in an excellent and totally believable performance. In Hindi, but not a masala movie.

Nice one, I'd like to see the Farewell I didn't realize it was on Netflix, I wanted to see it in the cinema

J_duds

• menacing presence
American Animals - slow build up the starting 30mins feels a bit weird, but gets faster and hooked me in, with a haunting end. Brilliant and weird film.

tomtom

• forum hero
American Animals - slow build up the starting 30mins feels a bit weird, but gets faster and hooked me in, with a haunting end. Brilliant and weird film.

This was on film4 last night right? It was ace - but I needed to go to sleep at ten so missed the second half!!

J_duds

• menacing presence

This was on film4 last night right? It was ace - but I needed to go to sleep at ten so missed the second half!!

Yes on film4 last night. I stayed up past my bedtime to finish watching it! I got hooked in.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Farewell (Netflix)

Nice one, I'd like to see the Farewell I didn't realize it was on Netflix, I wanted to see it in the cinema

Actually having looked at the rotten tomatoes page I did see it.... senile moment.  It was good though. 

SA Chris

• forum hero

Yes on film4 last night. I stayed up past my bedtime to finish watching it! I got hooked in.

I remember this saving my sanity on a flight back from the US, fantastic compared to the rest of the dross on offer. Fascinating film.

tomtom

• forum hero

:D I nearly did the same.... still wondering if it were a documentary with the real protagonists as the talking heads or all fiction (please no spoilers - happy to keep it that way until it comes on again!!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
It will be on All 4 for a month, no need to wait.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Soul (Disney+).

I thought it was great. The plot is loosely A Matter of Life and Death, covering middle-aged disappointment, death, and the purpose of life, through the medium of jazz piano. Almost custom-built for me! It approaches Ghibili levels of visual imagination and would look fabulous on a big screen and/or accompanied by psychedelics.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

I haven't watched the film yet, but... (Contains spoilers).

NSFW  :
I remember finding this fascinating when it came out a couple of years ago. The true story, as recounted by the protagonists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3cswt6b

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
The Farewell (Netflix)

Is it on Netflix? Might be because ours is a Dutch account, but then, we're on UK VPN?  Can't see it.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Dig

Really good, superb performances, and beautifully shot.

andy popp

• forum hero
The Dig

Really good, superb performances, and beautifully shot.

We enjoyed it too (though my wife is an archaeologist, so there was a degree of running professional commentary). Agreed about Mulligan and Fiennes, but I feel like the narrative lost direction a little in the second half. I would have preferred it remained focused on the main characters rather than the star-crossed young lovers (who really just needed to get on with having a jolly good shag).

webbo

• forum hero
Watched this the other night, thought it was pretty good. Interestingly the guy with the camera who goes off to join the RAF is Johnny Flynn who wrote and performed the music for the Dectorists.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal