UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1132295 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
A Private War
10/10.

To flesh it out slightly; it isn't actually a perfect film, but it certainly has impact. It will make you even more angry about the f*** wit decisions made by people like Trump in off hand tweets that exacerbate or prolong situations like Syria.

Paul B

• forum hero
I watched BlacKkKlansman on Sunday night. I think I must have missed something as all the ratings/reviews seem to be glowing and was finding it hard to bother finishing?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/

andy popp

• forum hero
I watched BlacKkKlansman on Sunday night. I think I must have missed something as all the ratings/reviews seem to be glowing and was finding it hard to bother finishing?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/

I think its a fantastic film: sharp, smart, and funny. Maybe it carries more weight watching over here?

Yossarian

• forum hero
Mandy

Fuck me, what a film. Directed by Panos Cosmatos (who directed the equally bizarre Beyond the Black Rainbow, and son of George Cosmatos, of Tombstone /  First Blood part 2 fame).

A perfectly cast Nicholas Cage, if anything, appears to be underacting, but mainly because everything else is so amplified, including the colours, film grain, and score (by Johann Johansson, shortly before he died).

Not the sort of thing you enjoy. More like an induced hallucinatory experience that you’re not sure you’re going to emerge from unscathed. Highly recommended...

andy popp

• forum hero
Green Book as best film is a terrible, terrible choice.

TobyD

• forum hero
Green Book as best film is a terrible, terrible choice.

Spike Lee did a great interview with a BBC journalist afterwards and said "are you British? I'll give you a British answer: it wasn't my cup of tea" (about Green Book whilst clearly very peeved that Blackkksman didn't win)

I haven't seen it but it sounds pretty trite.

andy popp

• forum hero

Its a bog standard road trip/buddy movie but its racial politics are terrible. Giving it best film over Blackkklansman or Black Panther seems like an insult. It would have been better to give it Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Me and W watched Black KKKlansman last night - was laughing and very angry at the same time.

andy popp

• forum hero
Have you seen "Sorry to Bother You" Ben?

Plattsy

• forum hero

Its a bog standard road trip/buddy movie but its racial politics are terrible. Giving it best film over Blackkklansman or Black Panther seems like an insult. It would have been better to give it Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born.
I really enjoyed GB. Can you expand on where in the film the racial politics are terrible?

andy popp

• forum hero
There are a lot of layers to it, but it could be summed up as white saviour syndrome.

Edited to add that I'm very much writing from a US perspective.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:14:18 pm by andy popp »

Plattsy

• forum hero
Think I'll watch it again and see. I agree there's layers to it but I didn't feel it was one sided. Kind of saved each other.
Edit. Maybe not saved but changed....

tomtom

• forum hero
Deleted post...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:00:48 pm by tomtom »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

Thanks for the tip Andy - I’d never heard of it but just looked it up and it sounds great. 

andy popp

• forum hero

Thanks for the tip Andy - I’d never heard of it but just looked it up and it sounds great.

Its really good.

largeruk

• player
On the one hand - Green Book looks like 2019's Driving Miss Daisy. Wasn't the South racist? Oooh, someone said the n word, how shocking. But looky, people can overcome their differences. And aren't we great in Hollywood that WE are tolerant and progressive. Back slaps all round. Driving Miss Daisy 2: this time, the racist’s behind the wheel.

On the other hand -  I don't think Green Book pretends to answer every question about race - it's a lovely  film about a specific story. Really it's about the stupidity of unthinking inherited structural racism, and how enormously positive it can be (for the protagonist) to let it go. Can a movie that underlines the unfairness of segregation in all its forms be that un-woke?

And on the other - Yes maybe the white dude saving the black guy premise is a bit unfortunate but the white dude kind of also gets 'saved' by the black guy so...

(On a side note, something I haven't seen mentioned much about the film is that, as well as race, there is a lot in there about the C word. Class.)

Actually I had all these conflicting sets of feelings after watching the film but despite some reservations, really enjoyed it. It's a great buddy movie that is superbly well acted by both leads and made me smile far more often than wince. In the end, people will see it (or not) and make up their own minds.

I get that some are unhappy about Green Book winning because it wasn’t progressive enough. I'd argue any complaint should be that it probably wasn’t actually the best picture but then what do I know? For right or wrong, a "Best Picture" award doesn't have to go to the movie with the most politically accurate analysis of the state of humanity today. It's an entertainment, after all. Awards are basically opinions ultimately.

For me, the best film I saw last year was Leave No Trace. If you're a fan of understated human drama-type films (and generally I'm not), give it it whirl.

While ostensibly it is the story of an army vet and his daughter living on their wits in the wilderness and what happens to them -  beautifully told and acted - it's also about the relationship between parents and children, and how those relationships need to change as children grow up and how painful and difficult that can be. It's better than I make it out to be; a film review I will never be!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Did you copy that first bit from this Guardian comment, and hoped no-one would notice, or did you write this comment too so it's all your own work? https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/126244480

user deactivated

Christ I bet you were buzzin’ when you noticed the potential in that discovery mate. I can almost feel the smug glow of self satisfaction....

largeruk

• player
Did you copy that first bit from this Guardian comment, and hoped no-one would notice, or did you write this comment too so it's all your own work? https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/126244480
Gah! Actually I meant to put quotes round all the different viewpoints as they pretty much summed up my thoughts. I'd almost finished my first attempt (with quotation marks) when I deleted it by mistake. Hurried a second attempt and just forgot. They are all from different things I've read. No attempt at originality of thought on this at all!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Ah cool yeah the forum is not the most forgiving for quoting stuff! I was just reading those comments this morning and for some reason that one stuck in my head, hence the query!

Looking forward to watching Green Book, Black KKKlansman and Sorry to Bother You,  Lakeith Stanfield is awesome in Atlanta.

Plattsy

• forum hero
For me, the best film I saw last year was Leave No Trace.
I really enjoyed Leave No Trace and was surprised it wasn't nominated for something.

andy popp

• forum hero
For me, the best film I saw last year was Leave No Trace.
I really enjoyed Leave No Trace and was surprised it wasn't nominated for something.

Ditto.

TobyD

• forum hero

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Hunter Killer - It's as daft as a brush but I love submarine films and thoroughly enjoyed this one. 

TobyD

• forum hero
The Kindergarten Teacher

Unusual and unsettling. Has a really classic movie air about it somehow. Well worth watching.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal