UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120441 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
I watched Herzog's Grizzly Man recently. Still not quite sure what I think of it, but it's certainly powerful stuff.

A devastating and heartrending take on grizzly bear activists Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard, who were killed in October of 2003 while living among grizzlies in Alaska.

Horrific and tragic death. Mind-boggling characters. Beautiful landscape. That's all I'm going to say. Watch it and make up your own mind...

You can download a trailer here:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0427312/

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
i'm interested in seeing this new del toro offering - pan's labyrinth, but i suppose a little bit previous of me

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
And another thing!

Saw Stanley Kubricks' Barry Lyndon not long back.  So engrossing.  Give it a whirl.

Apologies if this has been plugged before, but Lilja 4-Ever is a very fine film indeed. 

squeek

• junky
I want to see Pan's labyrinth, might be going this weekend.  Also want to see the Prestige before it stops showing at the cinema.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
barry lyndon. hell yes.

Duma

• forum hero
Re pans lab.

Go. It's awesome.

Rob

I want to see Pan's labyrinth, might be going this weekend.  Also want to see the Prestige before it stops showing at the cinema.

Went to see The Prestige this weekend. It made a bit of a change.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Also worth mentioning, "The Business" is on film4 this week - a far better and funnier film than it has any right to be given its pedigree.  If you liked Sexy Beast it's well worth a punt.

I finally got round to watching this off the digi box. For the most part pretty good, but kind of fell apart at the end, lost all tension. Although he is a one trick pony, I quite like Danny Dyer.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
This was no TV last night and was pretty good....

The backdrops are amazing, shame so much land is going to be flooded.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Re pans lab.

Go. It's awesome.
Me and the wife also agree.
pretty dark in places but brilliant

foxgt

• regular
just saw new james bond and its brill
awsome chase scene at the begining and the man is back to being a nutter which is good no gadgits just good acting
go see it really good  :great:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
The Squid and the Whale - An excellent film about the breakup of a relationship. For me, a great film. No special effects, no ridiculous storyline, just well shot, well acted, well written, and true to life. Wonderful. More info here; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367089/

Romance and Cigarettes - A modern day musical. A great cast, and another film with no special effects or crazy storyline. Just true to life, emotional truths. Watch it. More info here; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368222/

Sorry if these have been posted before, i haven't read the whole thread this morning.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
yesterday night, "the commitments".

so nice.

andy_e

• forum hero
I've just watched Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Fucking awesome.

Although I now feel smacked out completely, and it's almost as if I've been taking drugs myself. Which I haven't.

Not hard drugs anyway

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Fear and Loathing's an awesome film.

Bond was great too, but it did feel a little bit like an extended advertisement at times for respectively Sony Ericsson, Ford, Omega ('...a rolex?' 'No an omega'). Did anyone else spot Richard Branson being frisked at the airport security? I spose filmmakers need to drum up finance somehow, but I did find it vaguely distracting being pulled out of the diegesis by all blatant product placement.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
The Squid and the Whale - An excellent film about the breakup of a relationship. For me, a great film. No special effects, no ridiculous storyline, just well shot, well acted, well written, and true to life. Wonderful. More info here; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367089/
a good recomendation there uncle, watched it last night. If you like royal tenenbaums, then you'll like this.
Very enjoyable.
Cheers Uncle

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
heres my little story about fear and loathing...
when it came out here, i was serving military duty as an objector, working in a museum, and i was very depressed.
one evening after service i went to the cine alone to see that movie, then got home and smoke all alone, which made me even more depressed, then i went to a party where i drank like ten perfect martinis, and my last memory is about one guy that asked me to light his fag, and i answered "ill throw you out of the window" then i woke up in my parents house bathroom, liying on the floor still completely dressed, covered in vomit.

r-man

• forum hero
Watched Pan's Labyrinth recently. I liked it - dark fantasy, atmospherically done. Much better than Lord of the Rings (the more I watch that, the more I'm disappointed). Does anyone remember the Lord of the Rings animated film? Now that was good. Shame they never had the budget to make the next film.

I remember being a bit bored by Fear and Loating. People do drugs, world goes a bit funny, people talk uninterestingly, repeat ad infinitum.

Anyone seen Morven Callar? I found it in our living room last night and watched it. Some girl wakes up one day to find her boyfriend dead. He's left her a note saying it just felt like the right thing to do, but his finished novel is on the computer, could she please send it to a publisher... Not a big budget movie, but one that feels like an adaptation of a short story. A subtle character study maybe. Some nice moments and some clever shots.

SA Chris

• forum hero
How can you praise MC and and claim to be bored by F & L in one thread? You must inhabit a strange world indeed.

r-man

• forum hero
I just thought everyone in F&L was trying too hard. The whole film seemed to be, hey look we're on drugs, we're all a bit messed up. Craaaazy. MC seemed to have more depth. Maybe I liked the characters better too. F&L characters I found a bit annoying. Still, maybe I'll give F&L another watch some time...

cofe

• forum hero
are you sure you weren't watching trainspotting? read the F&L book instead. great.

Stubbs

I must agree with Cofe, I used to think that the F&L film was crap, but then after reading the book and going back to the film, I appreciated it a lot more.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I think that's the key to it. I first read the book and thought it would be a hell of a job trying to get it onto film, and that it would be really shit, but I didn enjoy it. I don't think it's as much a "hey we're on drugs" as actually trying to make a record of experiences while on said drugs.

are you sure you weren't watching trainspotting?
or Human Traffic maybe?

chappers

• forum hero
Lord of the Rings animated film? Now that was good. Shame they never had the budget to make the next film.

I remember being a bit bored by Fear and Loating. People do drugs, world goes a bit funny, people talk uninterestingly, repeat ad infinitum.

was it not the hobbit animated film? i could be wrong, hazy memory.

as for F&L you really do have to read this, and some other stuff by hunter s thompson, the film can appear a bit like "look at the shear volume of drugs we can consume" the book really does let you into the world of  a man attempting to report on a culture gone crazy. this is one book i would say is an essential read. afterwards, the film is much better.

Dr T

• forum hero
this is one book i would say is an essential read. afterwards, the film is much better.

true true
speaking of HST and J. Depp really looking forward to the Rum Diary

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal