UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1138149 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Bloodshot I thought I'd pick something pretty random from Netflix, so watched this. If we start from the point that it's ultimately a shit film with no artistic value or intelligence, I'll say some positive things about it. Most of the (very extended) action scenes are quite good; the main bad guy is a bit like Elon Musk; you don't invest anything in any of the characters so it's not stressful to watch in any way; there's no need to follow it terribly closely as there's not really much of a plot anyway.
It's sort of entertaining in a sort of 2/10 kind of way.

CrimpyMcCrimpface

• player
The Outfit is currently on Netflix for anyone interested, mentioned a few times on this thread. Watched it again the other night and still thought it excellent.

Paul B

• forum hero
Everyone is psyched for Dune: Part Two, right? It's out on Fri.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

I'll have tickets for Friday. IMAX + original soundtrack proved impossible though... but I found a screening of it with OS in a huge theatre.

Pretty psyched even though I remember the book well.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Yes! Just rewatching part 1 with my son in anticipation.

Took him to watch Blade Runner Final Cut which is being rerun in the cinema at the moment. Forgot how good it is.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

Yup! Saw the first in Imax and the austere sparseness of the spectacle worked great - it wasn;t too overwhelming.

I think I need to rewatch the first beforehand...

Wellsy

• forum hero
Got tickets for Friday evening, very psyched for it

remus

• forum hero
Got tickets for friday evening too. Frothing.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I will be rewatching the first on Friday. Going to the cinema next Wednesday. No spoilers!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut

SPOILER:

NSFW  :
Sandworms 'n' shit yo!!!  :tumble: :worms:

SA Chris

• forum hero

SPOILER:

NSFW  :
Sandworms 'n' shit yo!!!  :tumble: :worms:

Spicy!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
The Outfit is currently on Netflix for anyone interested, mentioned a few times on this thread. Watched it again the other night and still thought it excellent.
I'd been swithering over this, watched last night and it is indeed excellent.
Thanks for the recommendation.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
This might not come as a surprise, but Dune 2, or D'une as my autocorrect likes to call it, is good. I don't think I'll see another movie in a good while. I'd just be disappointed

Wellsy

• forum hero
Its uh, fucking incredible really

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
My father-in-law was visiting and we took him to see Dune 2. He had neither seen the first dune movie nor read the book but still enjoyed it.

Villeneuve cut out a lot of story-lines from the book, and foucsed strongly on the Bene-Gesserit/Imperial power-play angle. This cut down on exposition and made it possible to see the movie without having seen part 1. I think that also makes Frank Herbert's intended warning about charismatic leaders slightly harder to miss, even though I am quite confident that 90% of movie-goers will see Paul as the 'good guy'.

Christopher Walken wasn't great in the movie, the score was a bit meh, and like all modern american movies I had some issue to clearly hear the dialogue* at places (but I heard it better than most recent movies — since English, Swedish, Spanish, Swiss and French actors apparently somehow have learned how to articulate; I only checked the subtitles 2-3 times in the entire movie). Otherwise an almost perfect science-fiction/adventure movie. Better than all Star Wars movies, worse than Blade Runner.

---
* old man shouting at the clouds, I know.

stone

• forum abuser
The whole mumbling actors thing is interesting. If it means that good subtitles become ubiquitous, then I'm all for it since I need subtitles anyway because of my hearing  ;D
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jan/28/mumbling-actors-bad-speakers-or-lazy-listeners-why-everyone-is-watching-tv-with-subtitles-on

Paul B

• forum hero
the score was a bit meh

Wow, ok. I thought the absolute opposite on this and was actually glad that I'd forked out £16 for a ticket to have a sound system inject it into my spine via the outrageous bass!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
---
* old man shouting at the clouds, I know.

Mumbling at clouds and the score slightly overwhelms you, so I'm glad we've got subtitles.

seankenny

• forum hero
I’m some kind of inbred who found the first Dune film very boring, but for those more interested in the Duniverse this piece on its political economy may be worth a read:

https://www.markkoyama.com/p/the-political-economy-of-dune?utm_campaign=post

(Or it may be hideously niche…  :tumble: )

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I’m some kind of inbred who found the first Dune film very boring

You're not alone, I wasn't particularly excited by it either, other than it looking very nice

remus

• forum hero
...but for those more interested in the Duniverse this piece on its political economy may be worth a read:

https://www.markkoyama.com/p/the-political-economy-of-dune?utm_campaign=post

(Or it may be hideously niche…  :tumble: )

Thanks for the link, interesting read, and impressively geeky.

SamT

• forum hero
The whole mumbling actors thing is interesting. If it means that good subtitles become ubiquitous, then I'm all for it since I need subtitles anyway because of my hearing  ;D
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jan/28/mumbling-actors-bad-speakers-or-lazy-listeners-why-everyone-is-watching-tv-with-subtitles-on

Glad to hear (ha!) I'm not alone then.. finding it increasingly difficult to understand the dialogue on the telly.  Assume its my hearing (but then not sure I'm that hard of hearing), or maybe the shit sound system of my telly, but then it seems I'm not alone.  Maybe like with iphones, so much extra stuff is packed in with tellys or even the process of film making, that some of the basics are being forgotten about. Like clear dialogue.  The phone app on my mobile is by far and away the shittist app on my phone.  :slap:

Just wish they had a 'dialogue only' option for the subtitles.  It pisses me off when you constantly get [tense music plays] .. [a door creeks] etc etc.  :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Added to Nolan's deliberate "bad" sound mixing and my knackered hearing I've got no chance.

https://www.looper.com/1340779/every-christopher-nolan-movie-exact-same-problem-audio-sound-mixing-oppenheimer/

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Added to Nolan's deliberate "bad" sound mixing and my knackered hearing I've got no chance.

https://www.looper.com/1340779/every-christopher-nolan-movie-exact-same-problem-audio-sound-mixing-oppenheimer/

Even as far back as the last Batman film I just got so pissed off with not being able to hear what anyone was saying especially Tom Hardy as Bain, virtually unintelligible for most of the film

I love his films fwiw but this pisses me off

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Glad to hear (ha!) I'm not alone then.. finding it increasingly difficult to understand the dialogue on the telly.  Assume its my hearing (but then not sure I'm that hard of hearing), or maybe the shit sound system of my telly, but then it seems I'm not alone.  Maybe like with iphones, so much extra stuff is packed in with tellys or even the process of film making, that some of the basics are being forgotten about. Like clear dialogue.  The phone app on my mobile is by far and away the shittist app on my phone.  :slap:

Just wish they had a 'dialogue only' option for the subtitles.  It pisses me off when you constantly get [tense music plays] .. [a door creeks] etc etc.  :wall:

Not so much films, but I get this with a LOT of modern TV. Recently while watching Kin on BBC and the new True Detective on Now I've had whole scenes where I've not followed a word of it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal