UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120677 times)

crzylgs

• stalker
Marcel the shell with shoes on, just wonderful.

I second this. Would make a cute date night watch, or also be a good one to watch with youngsters.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Black Sea on Netflix. It has pretty much critical reviews but I wasn't especially impressed, personally. It's not awful but it lacked a bit of spark and I didn't really root for the characters very much. It's worth watching, just about but not great unless you are a devoted fan of submarine movies.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Watched the Netflix Luther film thing over course of last couple of nights.

Quite well-executed, the plot is pretty silly / ridiculous, Andy Serkis plays a good baddie. It's not exactly Chekhov but if you want a relatively brainless but entertaining couple of hours it's OK.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I really liked Banshees.

Really disliked Everything Everywhere. From talking to others its a miracle I got all the way through it. A sort of trite two hour music video or jeans advert.

The Marcel trailer/ short version? was on before the Puss in Boots film, (which is good, for both the fours and forty fours in our party), anyway Marcel. I didn't get it. Just felt sort of, nothing. Couldn't imagine watching it at any considerable length.

grimer

• forum hero
oi loiked A Pale Blue Eye (netflix) though mostlu the first 4/5s of it

TobyD

• forum hero
The Wind Rises
On Netflix, decent Studio Ghibli movie about the man who designed the zero fighter plane. It's different from the fantasy-like movies such as Spirited Away or My Neighbour Toro, but has a similarly whimsical edge to it . It's certainly good and worth watching, although I prefer some of the other Studio Ghibli offerings to it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
School strike day so took my almost-6 year old to see the Mario movie. Brilliant fun for her and me. I had to leg it to keep up with her as she ran back through Bradford to the train station jumping between imaginary platforms, gobbling imaginary power-ups, and stomping imaginary koopas.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
@Will - some friends mentioned it was great, but then caveated that they're gaming / mario fans - reckon that's mandatory?

We watched https://mubi.com/films/ava on the weekend. Both really enjoyed it and it properly had me engrossed and wondering what might happen (rare these days).

PM if you want a free view.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
For the adults it probably helps. I've dipped in and out of Mario since childhood but I'm not sat in a house filled with Mario paraphernalia.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Troll on Netflix. Fun escapist stuff about a Big ass Troll waking up in Norway.

Opens with a silly climbing section, but some amazing scenery, and some cool looking boulders on the archaeological dig about 5 minutes in. Google says it's filmed at Flo, looks like it might be this https://27crags.com/crags/flo

TobyD

• forum hero
Supernova
It's on iPlayer at the moment. A stunning film, although it's extremely melancholic. Beautiful scenery and well shot. The acting is brilliant.
Not one to watch if you want action but very much worth watching. It's also admirably concise (87min)

andy popp

• forum hero
Agreed, a really excellent film. Firth and Tucci are superb.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Forgotten Battle

On Netflix,  a Dutch WWII film about the battle of Antwerp and the liberation of the Netherlands.  Sounds extremely niche, but its very well made, with harrowing battle scenes and commendably unsentimental overall.  Its not too dark and depressing by the end though, and definitely worth watching if you want to see a war film.

slab_happy

• forum hero
I saw "Citizen Sleuth" at Sheffield DocFest -- very good documentary about a true crime podcaster:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/citizen_sleuth

It's having its first screenings at film festivals now (apparently we were the fifth ever audience to see it), but I'm betting it'll get picked up by Netflix or Storyville on the BBC or suchlike pretty quickly.

andy popp

• forum hero
Speaking of documentaries, at the weekend we watched "Harlan County, USA," which won the documentary Oscar in 1976. It tells the story of a 1973 strike at a coalmine in Kentucky. Brilliantly done, without narration, it's an incredible insight into working class life in the 'hollers' of Appalachia at that time - incredible poverty and just as amazing working class union militancy. 

I think it's on Hulu and well worth anybody's time.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Iron Lady; I just happened to see this on Netflix and thought it might be interesting.  Meryl Streep's performance is reliability good,  but the film really lacks a narrative structure. Though there are good scenes,  it ends up feeling disjointed,  to the extent that it barely held my attention.  I haven't quite got to the end of it yet, I'll probably try to finish it up but it's not something I'd really recommend.  This may be unfair given that I haven't finished it, but that fact says something about how much it grabbed me. .

TobyD

• forum hero
Nobody... on the other hand is brilliant.  I absolutely loved this slightly strange mash up of the 90s (I think) 'falling down' and a comic book superhero movie with a bit of 'breaking bad' into the bargain.  The appearance of Doc from back to the future is bizarre but funny. Its not wildly clever or intricately plotted, it's just very violent and absolutely great fun. It's on Netflix. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
I enjoyed it too, thought Bob Odenkirk was great in the role, and looked like he had fun making the film.

Mixed bag recently;

The Revenant (not the LDC one). Soldier dies in strange circumstance, comes back from the dead, wanders about drinking blood and causing mayhem. Very gory and pretty funny, with surprising finale.

13 Minutes - Tornado disaster movie. Too much human element, not enough special effects for my liking. Not recommended

Snowpiercer - the original movie. Put this off for a while as it didn't look great, but actually much better and much grimmer and gorier than I expected. Some very strange parts to it, but on the whole a fun ride. Assume the series follows on from the end of the film? I remember mixed reports on here about it, might give it a go.

nik at work

• forum hero
The new Spider-Man spiderverse animation is wonderful.

But it’s only part 1 of a 2(?) parter, which I don’t remember trailers pointing out. Although if part 2 is anywhere near as good as this then no great hardship…

SA Chris

• forum hero
Does it not follow on from the first one? Agree, the animation in the first one was class, looking forward to this one.

crzylgs

• stalker
Does it not follow on from the first one? Agree, the animation in the first one was class, looking forward to this one.

I believe it follows on from Spider Man into the Spider-verse and is the middle film of an intended trilogy. Haven't seen it yet - hopefully will be seeing it next week  :popcorn:

There was some recent unrest from animators complaining that the expected release date of 2024 is completely unreasonable and an unrealistic timescale... So we'll see when the third part of the trilogy actually arrives.

TobyD

• forum hero
Law of Tehran Iranian cop movie on iplayer at the moment.  Its pretty good,  although I found it slightly challenging to follow at times because of the rapid exchanges which are,  obviously,  subtitled.  It got very good reviews from critics,  I am not sure I thought it was as amazing as some of them did, but it's worth watching if you like a fast paced cop/drug lord battle.  The opening chase scene which has an interesting conclusion is certainly memorable. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
Transformers - Rise of the Beasts - leave brain behind, lots of fighting, thin storyline. "best Transformers movie yet" - Kyle (13). Guess that's the audience that matters.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
Better than the original Transformers the Movie (1986) ?

SA Chris

• forum hero
LOL, way better.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal