UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120360 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Jackie Brown is pure quality.
Don't know if it's been mentioned but 2020 Spike Lee film,Da 5 Bloods is superb. I won't say too much about it to avoid spoilers. Four GIs return to Vietnam. Some great character acting and an interesting plot. Not perfect by any means but a powerful piece of cinema. It's on Netflix.

Nice one, 5 bloods has been on my watch list for ages and I've not got around to it. I'll definitely watch it now

crzylgs

• stalker
Exciting news for all the Dredd heads - apparently a Dredd 2 with Karl Urban returning is in the works. No idea how far along but hope they do a decent job of it!

Can confirm Jackie Brown is excellent. Been one of my fave Tarantino's for a long time.

Da 5 Bloods - mostly agree with the comment 'not perfect but powerful piece of drama' well worth a watch. One scene in particular is not for the weak of stomach... although I found it hilarious, I think it was meant to be slightly comic but is rather graphic for a second or two!

Just about to watch 'The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent' either that or 'Confess, Fletch' will report back my findings  :popcorn:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Hyped for dredd 2 I think the authenticity with which the original film was made would be very hard to pull off now and I’m not sure how it managed to fly under the execs radar in the first place.

In my humble opinion Jackie brown is Tarantinos best film.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
The very best there is......accept no substitutes.

ducko

• forum abuser
Dredd was mega
I really hope there is a second instalment the first (Karl urban) was incredible

Wellsy

• forum hero
Dredd 2! Brilliant. I'd be there day 1.

TobyD

• forum hero
In my humble opinion Jackie brown is Tarantinos best film.

It's also a really nice reminder of a world before the vast majority of people had a mobile phone,  most probably didn't use email and stuff like Twitter or Facebook barely existed.
The very best there is......accept no substitutes.

... but the US had exactly the same problem with guns. Some things don't change.  (The quote refers to the AK47, for those who aren't as much of a geek as I am)

Teaboy

• forum hero
Watched ‘I Came By’ (Netflix) with no knowledge or expectation of it. Wife and I both really enjoyed it but the reviews I read afterwards were a bit sniffy.

TobyD

• forum hero
Watched ‘I Came By’ (Netflix) with no knowledge or expectation of it. Wife and I both really enjoyed it but the reviews I read afterwards were a bit sniffy.

Reviews often seem rather negative towards Netflix films, despite some of them being really good. I liked the good nurse, the dig, the courier... and probably lots of others

TobyD

• forum hero
The Constant Gardener - Netflix. A serviceable but not great adaptation of a John Le Carré novel. I thought that the 'social issue drama in Africa ' movie has been done better by other movies, but that it was still a reasonably engaging, though unmemorable watch with some good cinematography. After watching it, I had a feeling that I might have seen it years ago but couldn't remember much about it. That probably tells you the most about it. It's worth watching because it's on a streaming service, but I'd have felt a bit robbed at the cinema.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Me and the lad went to watch the new Avatar film.
On an IMAX screen.
In 3D.

Just awesome.

TobyD

• forum hero
out of sight on Netflix, slickly directed by Soderberg, an entertaining heist/ rom com crossover. I liked it.

Eddies

• forum hero
'Bones and All' Original, very well acted, brilliant

crzylgs

• stalker
Me and the lad went to watch the new Avatar film.
On an IMAX screen.
In 3D.

Just awesome.

^^ second this.

Although I opted for 2D on a similarly large screen, as I thought 3+hrs of 3D glasses would give me a migraine. The visual effects are unbelievably good, can easily get lost in the world thinking you're watching real filmed images not CGI/magic creations.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Need to rewatch the original with the kids, then get to the cinema for this. They went on the Avatar ride at Animal Kingdom before they saw the movie!

erm, sam

• forum hero
Quick, go and see Violent Night while it is still seasonal. Stupid, funny, lots of violent deaths at the hands of Santa. Whats not to love?

SA Chris

• forum hero
my regular seasonal recommendation. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/

Mike Highbury

• addict
Another from me without the violence that is essential for a good film but, in spite of, oh, you know, a cellular level,

Aftersun,

Is really good.

Saw it a few weeks ago with the wife and has cropped up on several people's list of films of the year.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Another from me without the violence that is essential for a good film but, in spite of, oh, you know, a cellular level,

Either you’ve had too much port or I have, but I can’t make sense of this sentence 😂

crzylgs

• stalker
Quick, go and see Violent Night while it is still seasonal. Stupid, funny, lots of violent deaths at the hands of Santa. Whats not to love?

Watched this last night - definitely a good choice for this time of year. Many great funny-violent moments, my personal fave being the direct Home Alone booby trap homage/rip off sequence!

As if they decided to mix together Die Hard, Home Alone and Bad Santa and it actually worked  :clap2:

Wellsy

• forum hero
Glass Onion is great, absolutely worth a watch

chriss

• stalker

I watched this the other night, thoroughly entertaining.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Got round to watching glass onion last night, I thought it was sensational and somehow managed to top the first film.

crzylgs

• stalker

I watched this the other night, thoroughly entertaining.

Agree with this, well worth a watch. Enjoy Daniel Craig chewing up the scenery.

I followed this up with The Banshees of Inishirin. VERY different types of film but Banshees was incredible. Film of the year contender for me, not that I've watched all that many 2022 films in 2022.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Watched the two Knives Out films this past couple of evenings. Very formulaic in that they're both Gentleman-Detective-Amidst-Opulent-Surroundings films, which is a very well-trodden genre: but with good reason. These are great!

Janelle Monáe is a superstar. Her music is incredible and so creative AND she can act. Did anybody see her Glastonbury set a few years ago? Wow! Such talent!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal