UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139449 times)

crzylgs

• stalker
Bit late to this one but I finally got around to watching Top Gun Maverick - on a suitable large and loud (iSense with Dolby Atmos) screen. Amazing popcorn (or in my case Haribo... my guilty pleasure!) cinema. Ticks all the boxes. Amazing footage of the actors in the planes, nostalgia soundtrack, Tom Cruise saving the day, parallels with him ageing as a film star / the death of the film star in our age of IP/content and his character being phased out by drones.

Not really a spoiler but a theory I kind of like:

NSFW  :
Maverick actually died at the start during the Mach 10 boom boom. The rest of the film is some kind of death dream/ purgatory dream

Something new to me (I think) but an older film - The Limey - from the classic film year that is 1999. Watching this parts of it felt very familiar so I might have half watched it before but if I have either i was tired / under the influence / or simply enough time has past for it to feel like a new film. Absolute classic of the revenge genre. Some of the dialogue had me in creasing up - especially when the mighty Bill Duke appears. Also, the throw away line from Peter Fonda's character about helping the parents of his girlfriend pick her name when she was born - what an incredible way to show what an absolute creep and scumbag he is, with one simple line! Very high recommendation for this one to anyone who hasn't seen it, or like me might have not seen it for ~20yrs!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Watched Prey last night (the new predator film) and I thought it was fantastic - bonus points if you watch it in Comanche with subtitles. Well worth a watch if you’re looking for a film this weekend. On Disney+

Watched this last night, great no nonsense action, great lead actor and beautiful scenery

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Watched Prey last night (the new predator film) and I thought it was fantastic - bonus points if you watch it in Comanche with subtitles. Well worth a watch if you’re looking for a film this weekend. On Disney+

Watched this last night, great no nonsense action, great lead actor and beautiful scenery

Jealous. Shame that it's only on Disney, I can't afford that and Netflix. Perhaps I can find a way to download it for free somehow...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
You could always dump Netflix for a month or two and take up Disney instead? Netflix context quality has dropped off a cliff over the last few years with all the other streamers starting up and taking back their content.

crzylgs

• stalker
Speaking of Disney+ aimed mainly but not exclusively at anyone with kids I've had some overwhelmingly positive reviews for an animated series called 'Bluey'. I'm not a parent but the reviews I've heard have been so heartfelt I'm going to have to at least check out a few episodes.

Just realised this definitely isn't a film... oh well... it's here now.

kac

• addict
You can use Tesco clubcard points to get Disney cheaply. I also thought prey was great. Generally find the film choice a bit rubbish though and only really had it for watching frozen most days!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
You can use Tesco clubcard points to get Disney cheaply. I also thought prey was great. Generally find the film choice a bit rubbish though and only really had it for watching frozen most days!

Frozen must be the greatest investment any studio has ever made. Hundreds of thousands of parents worldwide are forced to maintain a Disney subscription to feed their children's meth-like Frozen addiction.

Have you got the dresses as well?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Gladly outgrown by now, we still have DVDs if anyone wants to save a subscription. We got D+ for the Mandalorian for the older one and baby Yoda for the younger one.

kac

• addict
Getting the DVDs would be the sensible option but always make the mistake of thinking he can't want to watch it again! No dresses yet but suspect I have that coming with his little sister. To be fair to Disney I thought the mandalorian was brilliant and Obi wan Kenobi pretty good. Unfortunately it also gave me the opportunity to see the last stars wars film!

TobyD

• forum hero
I can't believe that a 'good films' thread has deteriorated to a discussion of Frozen.

kac

• addict
Sorry Toby. How about Ray & Liz on 4oD.
Its a good film although you may want to watch frozen to cheer yourself up afterwards!

seankenny

• forum hero
I can't believe that a 'good films' thread has deteriorated to a discussion of Frozen.

Yes please post Frozen-related content in the gooDADvice thread.

Paul B

• forum hero
Jealous. Shame that it's only on Disney, I can't afford that and Netflix. Perhaps I can find a way to download it for free somehow...

I've recently switched phone contracts and have the option to select a few months for free of various services. I'm currently on a child account of another UKBer. I can look into doing the same if you like?

Paul B

• forum hero
I finally cracked and went to see Top Gun: Maverick at the weekend. I should preface this with once a year as a kid I'd be in a bus with a TV which would undoubtedly include watching Top Gun; I had high hopes.

NSFW  :
Honestly I thought the flight scenes were incredible but the rest was rather lacklustre. They seemed to have lazily recreated characters/scenes from the first film whereas I think the best sequels/prequels have more subtle (not always serious) nods to their predecessor. I think Monica Barbaro was good as Phoneix and Lewis Pullman as Bob.

I wasn't aware of Val Kilmer's health issues until I Googled them following his scene:
He underwent chemotherapy and two tracheotomies. In 2020, he revealed that he had been cancer free for four years, and that he uses a feeding tube because he can no longer eat. In 2021, his voice was able to be re-created through AI technology using archival audio of his voice

It made me want to watch Only the Brave again though (featuring a few of the same actors; Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
It’s not a film (yet) but Michael Mann’s Heat 2, a novel is as good as you would hope. It’s both a sequel and prequel to the movie. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.  We’ve talked about the film a lot on this thread hence me mentioning it here.

crzylgs

• stalker
I finally cracked and went to see Top Gun: Maverick at the weekend. I should preface this with once a year as a kid I'd be in a bus with a TV which would undoubtedly include watching Top Gun; I had high hopes.

NSFW  :
Honestly I thought the flight scenes were incredible but the rest was rather lacklustre. They seemed to have lazily recreated characters/scenes from the first film whereas I think the best sequels/prequels have more subtle (not always serious) nods to their predecessor. I think Monica Barbaro was good as Phoneix and Lewis Pullman as Bob.

I wasn't aware of Val Kilmer's health issues until I Googled them following his scene:
He underwent chemotherapy and two tracheotomies. In 2020, he revealed that he had been cancer free for four years, and that he uses a feeding tube because he can no longer eat. In 2021, his voice was able to be re-created through AI technology using archival audio of his voice

It made me want to watch Only the Brave again though (featuring a few of the same actors; Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly).

Having known the Val Kilmer medical history prior to watching I think they handled that sequence really well. Was a nice touch. He's an incredible actor... Arguably could have had a more significant career.

Bradders

• forum hero
It’s not a film (yet) but Michael Mann’s Heat 2, a novel is as good as you would hope. It’s both a sequel and prequel to the movie. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.  We’ve talked about the film a lot on this thread hence me mentioning it here.

Good to hear this, I preordered it but it's not arrived yet so extra excited now!

Bradders

• forum hero
Miss Sloane

Jessica Chastain does a good line in sharp, powerful women and this is basically a sequel to Zero Dark Thirty / prequel to Molly's Game in which Jessica Chastain switches career (she's had quite the roller coaster) to become a high powered corporate lawyer / lobbyist taking on the gun lobby. Enjoyable enough to have on in the background whilst fingerboarding anyway.

Duma

• forum hero
I love JC and Zero Dark Thirty, this better not disappoint Bradders...

Bradders

• forum hero
Don't worry, she plays literally the same person (not a bad thing), just different context.

Paul B

• forum hero
I love JC and Zero Dark Thirty, this better not disappoint Bradders...

I enjoyed it too and the same for the other JC movies mentioned (Molly's Game less on second viewing).

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I’d say Zero Dark Thirty is substantially better than the other two JC films mentioned, which are both good, but ZDT is just amazing. Won’t miss a chance to shout out Hurt Locker, also directed by Bigelow

TobyD

• forum hero
I’d say Zero Dark Thirty is substantially better than the other two JC films mentioned, which are both good, but ZDT is just amazing. Won’t miss a chance to shout out Hurt Locker, also directed by Bigelow

I'd say that The Hurt Locker is one of the best war movies ever made.

Teaboy

• forum hero
I’ve pretty much run out of things to watch on Amazon Prime so eventually got around to watching War Dogs, definitely one of the better films I’ve seen on there.
In contrast I’d been looking forward to Northman but found it a bit boring. Seemed to fall between two stools, action-adventure and Norse mysticism without satisfying either itch.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I liked War Dogs, but I think it's more a work of fiction than even loosely based on a true story.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal