UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1138562 times)

Bradders

• forum hero
Nice list. Training Day is one of my all time favourite films. Good to know Sicario 2 is worth the time as well.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Power of the Dog seconded, good slow burn stuff.
From left field the 1975 version of Suspiria, suitably bonkers. 2018 remake at some point. My daughter's on a ticklist mission at the moment prompted by a scratch off 'Top 100 Movies' poster, so it's a good opportunity to watch/rewatch some old classics not normally on the radar.
Enjoyed the Usual Suspects (good films from bad people?). Kevin Spacey is brilliant though.
Killing of a Sacred Deer with a deadpan turn from Colin Farrell.
The Trip (not the Steve Coogan one) is just out on Netflix. Slightly annoying premise but great execution.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Power of the Dog seconded, good slow burn stuff.
From left field the 1975 version of Suspiria, suitably bonkers. 2018 remake at some point. My daughter's on a ticklist mission at the moment prompted by a scratch off 'Top 100 Movies' poster, so it's a good opportunity to watch/rewatch some old classics not normally on the radar.
Enjoyed the Usual Suspects (good films from bad people?). Kevin Spacey is brilliant though.
Killing of a Sacred Deer with a deadpan turn from Colin Farrell.
The Trip (not the Steve Coogan one) is just out on Netflix. Slightly annoying premise but great execution.

I think that Suspiria is one of the best horror movies ever made,  that scene when the blind man is attacked by his dog really stuck in my mind for some reason despite the fact that I saw it about 15 years ago. 

The usual suspects is a proper classic,  and the uncomfortable truth is that many amazing artists,  actors in any form are not nice people.  This doesn't change the fact that Kevin Spacey is an incredibly good actor,  or that Michael Jackson performed some of the greatest pure pop songs ever. I believe Dickens behaved absolutely reprehensibly towards his wife... I think that their legacies can be appreciated without delving into their characters. 

I think that Boyz n the Hood should be on any list of classic movies. It's on iplayer at the moment,  as is Citizen Kane and quite a few other films that anyone interested in really good film making should see.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Withnail and I is on All 4 at the moment in case any of you shag sacks haven't seen it.

Teaboy

• forum hero
I enjoyed Three Days of the Condor, other than that I’ve been struggling and have cancelled my Netflix subscription even though it’s only £5.99 a month.
IMDB TV does a reasonable roster of classic films as well

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Cancelled Netflix too. With Prime, Disney + and IMDB, no need to spend extra cash. Until winter...

TobyD

• forum hero
The apparently superlative Boiling Point is now on Netflix for anyone who hasn't cancelled their subscription. Was kicking myself that I didn't catch it at the cinema but looking forward to seeing it soon now.

remus

• forum hero
The apparently superlative Boiling Point is now on Netflix for anyone who hasn't cancelled their subscription. Was kicking myself that I didn't catch it at the cinema but looking forward to seeing it soon now.

Saw this the other day on Netflix and thought it was amazing, though it was amazingly stressful to watch. Not one if you want a relaxing evening in.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Someone at work just mentioned Boiling Point so I'll give it a look. Doesn't sound like relaxing evening viewing but I like steven graham.

Finally watched Don't look up; it does flab in the middle but what film doesn't these days etc. Really enjoyed it, but tbh I was onboard with that cast anyway

Speaking of Leo; somehow, excuses but i just finally watched Once upon a time in Hollywood. Twice actually, i put it straight back on. That's the selling point of home movies, if there is one. Though I like the cinema. Anyway, Joker better be good, (when I watch it next week), because Leo is incredible in OUTIW. What can I say, I love Tarantino, and this was right up my street.

Took the lad to the cinema to see The Batman. Its a 15, and despite being 5'11" he was very nervous about getting in (just turned 14), he kept saying, but they're really strict now dad' which amused me no end, and we all remember that jeopardy/thrill, jumpers for goalposts...

Anyway despite the three hour! runtime, I enjoyed it. They've taken it in a new direction, which I guess they had to, and generally works. Snyder aside I've seen all of the previous two major Batman franchises, (Schumachers 'effort' being the only film I've ever walked out of at the cinema. I went for a long loo break in Moulin Rouge, ...) Yet i'd never describe my self as a fan of any comic book movies really and wouldn't have gone to see this without aforementioned underage youth etc. And so. I did actually have a good time, no groans, was entertained throughout. Its quite a lean story, less pompous than the Nolan stuff. Emo goth mise en scene, kind of like a light version of Seven really. No bad thing.

Speaking of infinite franchises, No time to Die. Again, just watched on tv at home through my preferred medium, the amazon prime rental. Too long, otherwise good. Entertaining throughout in that absolutely meaningless, Bondian type way.

Fans of Lea Seydoux; the French Dispatch. Wes Anderson by numbers. A veritable bubble and squeak. Needless cameos, too many ideas, too many sets, too many characters, nevertheless entertaining throughout in that absolutely meaningless, Bondian type way. And Lea Seydoux appears naked.

TobyD

• forum hero

Speaking of Leo; somehow, excuses but i just finally watched Once upon a time in Hollywood. Twice actually, i put it straight back on. That's the selling point of home movies, if there is one. Though I like the cinema. Anyway, Joker better be good, (when I watch it next week), because Leo is incredible in OUTIW. What can I say, I love Tarantino, and this was right up my street.

Once upon a time... is brilliant isn't it. I haven't yet seen the Joker either, not sure if I'll watch it soon although it has just appeared on Netflix, so I'll probably watch it at some point.

Bradders

• forum hero
Joker is the kind of film you really should watch, but it's tough going. I'm not sure what I was expecting from it exactly but a superhero movie it is not. Joaquin Phoenix makes Heath Ledger's Joker look pretty cute and cuddly.

TobyD

• forum hero

Saw this the other day on Netflix and thought it was amazing, though it was amazingly stressful to watch. Not one if you want a relaxing evening in.

I also thought that this is excellent.  If you have a Netflix account,  watch it. Its even better if you occasionally remind yourself that this is all filmed in one continuous take; what an amazing achievement.  It isn't just a cinematic gimmick either,  it really intensifies the atmosphere and transports you into the environment. 

Paul B

• forum hero
So there are no cuts hidden or otherwise? That seems truly remarkable.

TobyD

• forum hero
So there are no cuts hidden or otherwise? That seems truly remarkable.

I believe not,  I haven't analysed it frame by frame or anything but that's how its described in credible reviews and it certainly feels like that to watch. Whatever the minutiae,  it's a brilliant movie.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jan/09/boiling-point-review-stephen-graham-restaurant-drama-single-take?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We loved it too.  Pretty stressful and yep, all shot in one take.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Has House of Gucci been mentioned?

I started watching this and wasn't sure what I thought, and left it for a few weeks and then returned to it. I don't think it's brilliant, but the casting is so incredibly good and every single person in it seems to be having so much fun with their roles that I liked it more and more as I watched it. Jared Leto and Lady Gaga are both particularly good.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Anyone seen The King? I quite liked it and I'm progressively more war film phobic. Not a total banger but some good acting and a different perspective on battle scenes!

Duma

• forum hero
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_(2019_film)
This one? Yeah I've seen it a couple of times, think it's great.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Yeah me too, great cast, Pattinson looked to have a lot of fun with his role!

TobyD

• forum hero
Inside Man A fairly old (2006) heist movie with a superior cast: Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, Willem Dafoe and Clive Owen. A good TV movie, nothing too challenging but entertaining enough without being spectacular. It's on Netflix.

TobyD

• forum hero
Django Unchained (on Netflix) I thought this was intermittently very funny and had some great set pieces and scenes. The use of music is really good as well. It is slightly let down for me by being too long: some of it drags a little but this doesn't spoil it, it's still a great movie, just perhaps not Tarantino's best.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Agree, would definitely benefit from a bit of tight editing.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Gave up trying to find something to watch on Netflix and started to browse Disney Plus. I was pleasantly surprised to find Nomadland lurking in there, which is as good as they all say.

Paul B

• forum hero
Covid meant I've watched quite a lot of films recently (that, and a £1/M NowTV Cinema subscription):

Pig:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11003218/
Very odd but not as bad as the description might suggest.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4513678/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Enjoyable with some nice little nods to the original and a few dark moments that made me chuckle.

Stillwater:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10696896/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4
I quite enjoyed this. Damon does a lot of heavy lifting as there aren't many characters.

Supernova:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11169050/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Not uplifting but very well done. I do like Tucci in anything though.

Finding the Way Back:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8544498/
Like a reverse Coach Carter but significantly less good and with a deeply unsatisfying ending.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Has anyone mentioned Good Time on this thread ? currently on netflix and I think its just extraordinary.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal