UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1138051 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
We rewatched the Coen brothers' Hail Caesar! last night. This might be one of my favourite films - just gloriously stupid fun.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Not sure if this goes here, or the podcasts thread, but on the zombie tip - I've been burning through the excellent "Evolution Of Horror" podcast lately.

The cover off a different sub-genre of horror and do a podcast on each one. The zombie ones include 28 Days Later, Shaun Of The Dead, Zombieland, Train To Busan.

Well worth a listen!

slab_happy

• forum hero
Oooh, hadn't heard of that podcast, will need to check it out. I've been enjoying "Talking Scared" lately -- it's a podcast interviewing horror writers.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I'll have to check that out once I've rinsed all the EoH ones - there are some good ones on Donnie Darko, The Shining and Under The Skin as well.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
out of the blue

On iPlayer for the next week only; this is a strange but I thought excellent film. Dreamy and meditative in tone, but the content is an engaging murder investigation. Recommended.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
Once upon a time in Hollywood:

Watched this on Netflix yesterday and thought it was really enjoyable. Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio make a good pair. Not Tarantino’s best work but still very enjoyable and a nice re-work of the Sharon Tate murder

TobyD

• forum hero
My neighbour totoro

A studio Ghibli movie I hadn't seen until recently,  its not Spirited Away,  but it is an entertaining hour and a half.  Probably more of a kids film really but enough weirdness to keep me watching.  The cat bus beast is a particular highlight,  some pretty powerful mushrooms must have been used to come up with that idea.

largeruk

• player
My neighbour totoro

A studio Ghibli movie I hadn't seen until recently,  its not Spirited Away,  but it is an entertaining hour and a half.  Probably more of a kids film really but enough weirdness to keep me watching.  The cat bus beast is a particular highlight,  some pretty powerful mushrooms must have been used to come up with that idea.
It is beautiful film, I think. Beguiling and childlike (as you say) but also playful & imaginative. Miyazaki's favourite.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
https://mubi.com/films/first-cow

Stretched out, with ebbs and flows of tension. Just watched it and making sense of it all now. Very good, I think.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
If anybody is planning on watching Once Upon A Time In Hollywood I'd recommend going down this Wikipedia rabbit hole first. It would have been a totally different film if I'd known about this!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate%E2%80%93LaBianca_murders#Tate_murders

Davo

• obsessive maniac
If anybody is planning on watching Once Upon A Time In Hollywood I'd recommend going down this Wikipedia rabbit hole first. It would have been a totally different film if I'd known about this!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate%E2%80%93LaBianca_murders#Tate_murders

I knew the story beforehand and so it was a real surprise how it actually turned out in the film. If only real life had worked out that way for Sharon Tate!

TobyD

• forum hero
Suicide Squad
ie the first one on Netflix now. A pretty poor superhero movie although saved from being totally worthless by a really good soundtrack and the presence of Will Smith.

Bradders

• forum hero
Suicide Squad
ie the first one on Netflix now. A pretty poor superhero movie although saved from being totally worthless by a really good soundtrack and the presence of Will Smith.

I've tried to watch this several times now and given up each time. It's just rubbish. I can't really explain why, it just is really, really bad.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
It could have been terrible anyway, but I think the main reason it is soooo bad is that they re-edited after Deadpool (and before it Guardians) did so well, so they wanted to make it more comedy with a notable soundtrack. Like Snyder with Justice League, the director has made his feelings known! https://collider.com/ayer-cut-suicide-squad-david-ayer-statement

TobyD

• forum hero
It could have been terrible anyway, but I think the main reason it is soooo bad is that they re-edited after Deadpool (and before it Guardians) did so well, so they wanted to make it more comedy with a notable soundtrack. Like Snyder with Justice League, the director has made his feelings known! https://collider.com/ayer-cut-suicide-squad-david-ayer-statement

Ah I see.  I didn't quite finish watching it,  and probably won't bother either, although I don't normally do that,  I like to finish even bad movies,  or books.  Suicide squad is completely devoid of plot or narrative drive though. Given that Will Smith and the soundtrack are the only good things,  I could just rewatch Bad Boys and find the soundtrack on spotify.

TobyD

• forum hero
Don't know if it's been mentioned up thread but Sherpa is good. On Netflix, yet another Everest doc but it's got some good cinematography and some powerful bits. Only available until the end of the month.

Hydraulic Man

• player
Watched Bait the other evening....Quite topical given the comments regarding Cornwall on this site recently....

TobyD

• forum hero
Watched Bait the other evening....Quite topical given the comments regarding Cornwall on this site recently....

I'd really like to see this, where is it available?

Hydraulic Man

• player
Rented off Prime.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Bait is a good film.

I watched Destroyer last night as it is on iplayer at the moment. Nicole Kidman as you've never seen her before is a ground down, murder detective hunting down a gang of armed robbers who she had previously been involved with in an undercover capacity. Quite slow moving in a thoughtful manner at times but  interspersed with some sudden scenes of pretty cool action. Good characterisations throughout and touches on similar themes as Point Break and Heat but in a more  thoughtful manner and with fewer full on half-hour action set pieces. Interesting to note that it's largely produced technically by a female director & crew (I know... Point Break directed by Katherine Bigelow.)

Check it out if you are so inclined. I enjoyed it second time round as much as the first.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
My neighbour totoro

Was walking in to Cuckoo Rock, this afternoon and No.1 blurted out “Ha! So we’re climbing on Totoro today”. Never thought about it before, but now can’t unsee it:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Uncanny

Well, it was when he pulled out the umbrella.

Ok, ok, I’ll get my coat…

TobyD

• forum hero
My neighbour totoro

Was walking in to Cuckoo Rock, this afternoon and No.1 blurted out “Ha! So we’re climbing on Totoro today”. Never thought about it before, but now can’t unsee it:

Awesome! I haven't been up to coombeshead for years I'll have to try to make it next time I'm down there.  I love that place,  even more so now I know I can visit Japanese film stars and boulder.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
My neighbour totoro

Awesome! I haven't been up to coombeshead for years I'll have to try to make it next time I'm down there.  I love that place,  even more so now I know I can visit Japanese film stars and boulder.

OT, but we had to retreat from our summit attempts, because the wind dropped and the entire tor was suddenly covered in an incredibly dense swam of flying ants, that choked you or filled your ears. No escape except dropping back into the valley. I think I weight 2-3kg more in dead ant corpses on the walk back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal