UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139372 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
My apologies JJP!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Jojimbo. 60 year old B&W subtitled Japanese films can be a bit worthy but this is still great: dark story, plenty of black humour, spasms of bloody action, fab. soundtrack and cinematography. It you’ve not seen it, it’s the basis of Fist Full of Dollars and many subsequent films: mysterious lone swordsman shambles into small town gang war. Carnage ensues. Toshiro Mifune’s performance, pitch-perfect economy, is the template for Clint eatswood’s entire career.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Last man standing with Bruce Willis is another Yojinbo remake I vaguely remember.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
The sequel, Sanjuro, is pretty good too.  I also have a soft spot for Zatoichi - a bit like Yojimbo but the protagonist is a blind swordsman - not as good as Takeshi Kitano's Yakuza films (Sonatine, Hana-bi, Boiling Point, and Violent Cop) but fun watch.  There was a western version with Rutger Hauer called Blind Fury, which is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

JJP

• addict
My apologies JJP!

:2thumbsup: No worries had also not seen the painting!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Since Davo listed him as a favourite actor I've really struggled to put my finger on what I think of Hanks' acting. He gives pretty solid performances in films that are pretty watchable, but I don't think I've ever seen him do anything extraordinary. I don't know whether that's because he's not a great actor or because he gets cast in uninspired roles. Compare to people like Johnny Depp, Daniel Day-Lewis, Gary Oldman, whose performances often make the film they're in.

I don't know whether it says more about me or Hollywood but I'm struggling to think of actresses who give the same kind of performances. Maybe something to do with a lack of films with strong individual female lead roles?

Watch 3 billboards... and Fargo for an incredible example.  Jodie Foster? She's pretty impressive in most of the things I've seen.  Tilda Swinton is a very strong actress in anything I can think of.  I could think of many more,  Im sure. Judy Dench is obviously an excellent actress in many films but also unfortunately happens to be in some proper tripe. 

I always expect to hate Tom Hanks movies because I find him incredibly annoying for no definite reason; it's a totally unreasonable prejudice.

Forrest Gump effect. I hated the movie and he's annoyed me because of it ever since.

Admit I think Road to Perdition is brilliant though.

I'm not sure if I hated Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Big (etc etc...) more. I just can't stand his simpering dumb labrador impression which seems to be his standard substitute for actually bothering to act.

Bradders

• forum hero
Surprised by all the Hanks angst!

whose performances often make the film they're in.

In what world does Hanks' performance not make Forrest Gump the film it is?!

Philadelphia as well, but in a very different way. There's a good reason he won back-to-back Oscars for those two.

I think what I like about him is that he's the consummate every man. There's nothing desperately flashy about his acting, he just is the character and it feels more sensitive than someone like Gary Oldman who just wants to tear the screen down.

Although on the other hand, I think he also just can't escape being Tom Hanks, in the same way as Hugh Grant struggles not to be Hugh Grant, so in a lot of roles they don't really worry too much because they know the audience has come to see them, rather than whatever character they're playing.

On female actresses, I'd echo Toby on Fargo & 3 Billboards, and would The Help and Hidden Figures; Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer are flipping brilliant. Loads of others of course but those were two that sprung to mind.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:33:33 am by Bradders »

Bradders

• forum hero
Thought of another; Charlize Theron, Monster.

slab_happy

• forum hero
For Frances McDormand fans, I highly highly recommend the HBO miniseries "Olive Kitteridge", which she's fucking amazing in.

andy popp

• forum hero
For Frances McDormand fans, I highly highly recommend the HBO miniseries "Olive Kitteridge", which she's fucking amazing in.

And I'm really looking forward to "Nomadland."

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Surprised by all the Hanks angst!

whose performances often make the film they're in.

In what world does Hanks' performance not make Forrest Gump the film it is?!

The world in which Forrest Gump is tedious, sentimental emoting. (Sorry, I know my dislike of Hanks isn't reasonable)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I also found the portrayal of someone with clear Asperger's characteristics as someone to be laughed at uncomfortable viewing.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I also found the portrayal of someone with clear Asperger's characteristics as someone to be laughed at uncomfortable viewing.

I’d steer clear of Ben Stiller in Simple Jack then 😄

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Emily Blunt - The Adjustment Bureau, The Edge Of Tomorrow

Uma Thurman - Kill Bill

Tilda Swinton - Snowpiercer

(I don't even follow actors / actresses apart from a massive crush on posh english-voiced Blunt in that era)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
On the Aspergers thing, what about Sheldon in The Big Bang theory??

I have wondered if the leftieliberal sjwokeflake crowd would find the comedy Aspergers offensive. Or maybe it's lightweight and endearing / sympathetic enough to be okay??

Davo

• obsessive maniac
Just read back and I agree with Bradders. What is with the hating on Hanks? He is in several of my favourite films (which I have watched again recently)

Saving Private Ryan (I would argue he is a large part of why the film works)
Forest Gump: I don’t usually like this kind of thing but if you don’t feel for Gump then you have a heart of stone (TobyD!)
Road to Perdition: just brilliant gangster film.
Green Mile: pretty schmaltzy and sentimental but really well done.

In terms of News of the World vs True Grit. This is not a fair comparison. True Grit is a remake of an all time classic western. In my opinion it is a good film but is not really any better than the original which begs the question (apart from money) why make it?

Like I said I like pretty much all westerns (even the 100s of Randolph Scott ones) and I like Tom Hanks. If these aren’t your cup of tea then News of the World won’t be any good.

On another note: I really liked Fargo (film not series) but though 3 Billboards sucked as a film despite good acting.

Dave

SA Chris

• forum hero
On the Aspergers thing, what about Sheldon in The Big Bang theory??

I have wondered if the leftieliberal sjwokeflake crowd would find the comedy Aspergers offensive. Or maybe it's lightweight and endearing / sympathetic enough to be okay??

Never seen it, never intend to, nor Simple Jack. You could call me a leftie liberal snowflake (assuming that's what you meant to say) if you want to, or the parent of a child with Asperger's who sees their daily struggle and hears what they have to deal with daily. You choose.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Chris I definitely wasn't referring to you at all, my mangled phrasing was an OTT tongue-in-cheek description (partly mocking those who dismiss any concerns in just that way).

And my question behind that was genuine. It's something I've wondered at in recent years after seeing the crackdown on racial / gender portrayals in media. I used to watch and mildly enjoy plenty of TBB, and personally think that whilst Sheldon is a slightly ridiculous and "dysfunctional" aspergers charicature, he is also very likeable and portrayed with some sympathy (in part he's having a struggle - but succeeding, partly due to the geek crowd he's landed with). OTOH I totally respect that for some people with prominent and perhaps difficult aspergers experiences it might be too close to the bone.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Gotta say, I think some are missing the point of Forest Gump.
Pretty sure the “sentimentalism” is a sarcastic tilt at the “American Way” and the each and every episode he blunders through is dark, violent, tawdry and often heart wrenchingly believable. A stinging indictment of a USA culture that cares not a jot for it’s people. Every single character is abused, cheated, permanently disfigured or outright killed, including the protagonist. Bullying, exploitation, imperialism and senseless war. Drug addiction, corruption, and more. The only person who can survive, is the one who cannot feel the pain. Even Captain Dan, the only other “positive in the end” storyline, has to lose his grasp of the fictional American Dream, even going as far as marrying a Vietnamese woman as a nod that reconciliation and cooperation, not war, are the foundations of happiness...
Etc etc etc.

Bradders

• forum hero
Gotta say, I think some are missing the point of Forest Gump.
Pretty sure the “sentimentalism” is a sarcastic tilt at the “American Way” and the each and every episode he blunders through is dark, violent, tawdry and often heart wrenchingly believable. A stinging indictment of a USA culture that cares not a jot for it’s people. Every single character is abused, cheated, permanently disfigured or outright killed, including the protagonist. Bullying, exploitation, imperialism and senseless war. Drug addiction, corruption, and more. The only person who can survive, is the one who cannot feel the pain. Even Captain Dan, the only other “positive in the end” storyline, has to lose his grasp of the fictional American Dream, even going as far as marrying a Vietnamese woman as a nod that reconciliation and cooperation, not war, are the foundations of happiness...
Etc etc etc.

Yes, 100% this.

Chris I've never for one moment thought Forrest Gump was a character to be laughed at! Quite the opposite, for the reasons Matt outlines, I've always found the character to be someone you completely empathise with.

The world in which Forrest Gump is tedious, sentimental emoting. (Sorry, I know my dislike of Hanks isn't reasonable)

You heartless bastard  :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
DaVinci code...

SA Chris

• forum hero

Chris I've never for one moment thought Forrest Gump was a character to be laughed at! Quite the opposite, for the reasons Matt outlines, I've always found the character to be someone you completely empathise with.

Let's agree to disagree. I freely admit I may be overly thin skinned about the portrayal.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Frances McDormand in 3 Billboards is an excellent call. I haven't seen Fargo (only the series).
Helena Bonham-Carter is great in the Harry Potter films though obviously doesn't get to completely let rip as she's playing a fairly minor character.

Maybe I'm hopelessly naive but I didn't ever think of Forrest Gump as being a character with Aspergers or autism, and I didn't really think of him as a comic character - just credulous. I did like the film though - and tbf Hanks brings a lot to it.

Other examples of transformative performances to contrast Hanks with: Heath Ledger as The Joker (contrast again with Heath Ledger in Knight's Tale, Brokeback Mountain - the guy had decent range), Christian Bale (esp as Patrick Bateman), Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter (particularly when set against Jodie Foster).

Maybe I'm just drawn to baddies!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I really didn't rate American Psycho but know a lot of people who do. Have you read the book Will?

Re transformative, see also Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men. The sense of menace he captures is incredible. Strong contender for my favourite film full stop.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Apart from lack of ending.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal