UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1137348 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
What was the overall view of Tenet? It’s a fiver to rent on Prime at the moment... usually like Nolan films.

remus

• forum hero
What was the overall view of Tenet? It’s a fiver to rent on Prime at the moment... usually like Nolan films.

Worth a fiver imo. Make sure you watch it when fresh though, as can be with time travel films the plot is hard to follow.

gollum

• obsessive maniac

Saw it at the cinema. Really enjoyed it, stick with the first hour or so where we just wondered WTF was going on.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I really quite liked it, and then watched it again (twice) and thought it was great. It was quite majestic (and incredibly loud) at the cinema, but it still stands up quite well on a small screen. Can you watch it a second time on Amazon, or just once? If the latter then you need to really concentrate.

tomtom

• forum hero
I really quite liked it, and then watched it again (twice) and thought it was great. It was quite majestic (and incredibly loud) at the cinema, but it still stands up quite well on a small screen. Can you watch it a second time on Amazon, or just once? If the latter then you need to really concentrate.

Think you get 48 hours (or similar) to watch it as many times as you like.

Make sure you watch it when fresh though, as can be with time travel films the plot is hard to follow.

Haha - neither of us are fresh at 8:30 or so after finally getting the nipper off to bed! Usually we watch 20 min of TV then I collapse on the sofa to watch an episode of some netflix thing or other, or a mindless film on the TV, whilst MrsTT sits in bed watching endless episodes of ER/Buffy/The Crown on her ipad :D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Dredd.
The 2012 dark version, not Sly Stallone's cheesy effort.
Really good sci fi dystopian violence feast, nicely concise and pleasantly escapist.

I liked it especially the special FX around the drug, but it's been accused of ripping off the Indo film The Raid, can see the similarities.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Dredd.
Really good sci fi dystopian violence feast, nicely concise and pleasantly escapist.
Yep I enjoyed this and have enjoyed repeat viewings. Hoped it would kick off a bit of a series.

Plattsy

• forum hero
It is excellent. Great at the cinema even with the low volume dialogue issues.
Hard to follow at times so yep you have to be on it.
Worth a repeated viewing and some of the explainer YouTube videos are good for filling in gaps / adding potential theory / pointing out not so obvious genius bits etc

seankenny

• forum hero
with time travel films the plot is hard to follow.

Has anyone here ever see "Primer"? Almost impossible to watch without a pen and paper!

Plattsy

• forum hero
with time travel films the plot is hard to follow.

Has anyone here ever see "Primer"? Almost impossible to watch without a pen and paper!
Agreed. Brilliant shoestring sci-fi.

IanP

• forum abuser
Multiple universes rather than time travel (and no pen and paper required!) but I really enjoyed Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse which is on Netflix at the moment

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Dredd.
A far, far better film than the god awful Stallone travesty. Grimy, dirty, violent. A fine realisation of the 2000AD I remember from my youth.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Indeed. I consumed 2000 AD with such an appetite in my youth. A few more of the classic characters would be great on screen, rather than the usual Marvel / DC fodder.

Bradders

• forum hero
Dog Soldiers

On All 4 for the next couple of weeks. Classic, low budget British horror. I watched it loads of times years ago but had forgotten just how enjoyable it is until I stuck it on again yesterday. Just great fun all the way through.

SA Chris

• forum hero

On the other hand, recently watched 1917 and thought it was superb. The 'one shot' thing is totally immersive, doesn't feel gimmicky at all, and the ebb and flow of the film felt spot on. Tense believable action sequences with haunting sections between and great dialogue.

Yeah, 1917 is brilliant. Was very glad I saw it in a cinema but good to hear it retains its impact on a TV (presumably).

I watched this on Netflix, really enjoyed it, especially the "one shot" bits, but everyone and everything just looked too clean?  All recounts describe the trenches as basically just mud, everywhere and everyone caked in it.

Bradders

• forum hero
Always the way with these things though I think. For example I'm currently working my way through The Walking Dead, and although it's very well done overall, they're all still either a little too clean or, more significantly, clearly well fed!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Lots of great films on IPlayer at the moment.

Inc Godfather, Untouchables, North by northwest, Citizen Kane, and given my penchant for Submarine films, Ice station Zebra got a watch yesterday :)

Watched La La Land over Xmas break which is totally not my thing but I really enjoyed.

On a similarly jazzy note, watched Soul with the kids as well. Taking the mad nature of the plot (hard to explain to a 6 and a 3 year old!), thought it was excellent. Got me in the feels at the end too.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Just to warn anyone thinking of watching The Midnight Sky not to bother. Tripe.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Though Soul was one of the weakest of the Pixar films, get a bit meta in places, but some good parts.

Onward is a lot more fun.

If you haven't explored them yet, the Pixar shorts on Disney + are great. Lifted, Boundin' and Piper are my favourites, my daughter loves the songs in Lava and has been singing them all week.

They both got freaked out by Bao though! Watch first to decide if it's suitable.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I've already freaked my two out with a couple of the studio Ghibli ones on Netflix. My little boy was not keen on Spirited Away once it started getting a bit spooky!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Spirited Away freaks me out to be fair, let alone the kids. Kyle is 11 now, and the spooky clown in a Captain Underpants episode gave him nightmares for weeks.

1:40
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:40:50 pm by SA Chris »

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
 Mission Impossible Fallout.
On Netflix,. Gets very complimentary reviews, but I thought it was a bit underwhelming, although still a decent couple of hours of entertainment. Worthwhile but not outstanding.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
I can't remember if it was a recommendation on here or over on the other channel, but thanks to whoever mentioned it. I watched The King Of Staten Island tonight. Judd Appatow directs. It's excellent. Coming of age story of Scott (Pete Davidson - who also Co wrote and produced it,) a mid twenties stoner wannabe tattoo artist, still living with his mom on Staten Island. A great characterisation by the lead with what feels like realist ad-lib dialogue at times, but not at all done in a jarring way, alongside gentle introduction of back story as to how  the protagonist has come to remain where he is still.

A fantastic supporting cast (including Steve Buscemi who always adds value.) Some laugh out loud funny moments and a few to cause a moistening of the eye. But most of all brilliant, believable, likeable, fully-rounded characters amongst the obvious tropes and types that populate the film. Ultimately you actually care for and about the characters. Not action packed nor a blockbuster, but enough story stuff happens to keep the viewer engaged throughout. Nicely shot.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film as much. Watch it should you get the chance. I watched it on bluray via Cinema Paradiso (films by post,) but sure it'll be on one of the streaming platforms soon.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I loved this too. It’s v autobiographical - PD did live with his mum quite recently, has Crohn’s disease, had a firefighter dad, etc...

SA Chris

• forum hero
I thought it was a great film but felt it lost its way and meandered a bit in a few places and would have benefitted from a bit of editing down?

Marisa Tomei is also great, but it didn't feel like a particularly demanding role for her.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal