UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120477 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Sorry hit send too soon there.

As I was saying, it does feel though that with movies like this Cage has arrived in his natural place, which couldn't have happened of course without him being Nicolas Cage first. And even if they aren't for me, I am glad they're getting made.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
That’s a good question.  I still think it would be a good movie without Cage as it stand up by itself as a (forgive me here) meta B-movie, particularly when stood against Once Upon a Time in Hollywood given the Helter Skelter subject matter of both films.  You’re right though, it’s made for Nicolas Cage the character.

Cinema eh. Barmy.

Props to the UKB film club.  :popcorn:

Yossarian

• forum hero
Mandy is definitely not my usual cup of tea either, but I’m glad I watched it all. I guess what is most interesting (for me) is that Panos Cosmatos - a relative nobody, albeit with a famous dad and some history with Beyond the Black Rainbow - was able to recruit someone like Nicholas Cage, an amazing performer with a totally hit-and-miss body of work behind him.

I could imagine Michael Shannon in Mandy, or Joaquin Phoenix, Javier Bardem, etc.

I generally struggle With / find most horror deeply uncomfortable, but I was quite fascinated by the recent Susperia remake. I would like to see Dario Argento’s original sometime.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I watched all that stuff at uni (circa 20 ago), and generally found them over rated/ I didn't get it. I don't generally get horror though.

I think unfortunately for suspiria it was lumped in with all these other banned or reputation movies that i watched around the same time, most of which I was coming to with no context; Driller Killer, Cannibal Holocaust, Straw Dogs, I can't think of the others but there are loads.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Werner Herzog’s remake of Mandy entitled ‘Amanda in Cornwall’ (2024) with Woody Harrelson in the lead role and Nicolas Cage as the cult leader, all shot on 16mm box format, hand developed  and overdubbed is going to be brilliant.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Coppola’s ‘The Conversation’ is on BBC2 tonight. One of the greatest films of the 70’s. Gene Hackman as cool as a cucumber. A must watch.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Recently enjoyed  I, Tonya,  a docu style movie about the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan episode. Interesting back story, crazy characters and some ace figure-skating footage.
Also Grand Theft Parsons. The story of the theft of the country-rock legend's corpse and its aftermath. Glorious Joshua Tree scenery made me yearn for California.A bit odd but diverting enough.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
from Books...

Why we are living in J G Ballard’s world.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2020/04/why-we-are-living-jg-ballard-s-world

Yeah I read that. I love Ballard, but f*ck reading him at the moment, the drowned world or high rise would be way too close to the bone.

I really enjoyed the movie of High Rise, really captures the sort of silliness and hypocrisy, and is great to look at. Top casting.

Also two of my neighbours are in it, (they're a couple).

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Coppola’s ‘The Conversation’ is on BBC2 tonight. One of the greatest films of the 70’s. Gene Hackman as cool as a cucumber. A must watch.

Thanks for this, watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
@Cowboyhat.  That’s a good tick for them to casually drop in at parties.  Great film with The Fall’s “Industrial Estate” over the closing credits. 

@Sherlock - I Tonya is flippin’ great.  I loved it. 

We did Frost Nixon on Saturday night ‘cos W had never seen it.  I forgot how good it is. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

Thanks for this, watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot!

Ah great.  It’s soooooo good.  It’s worth watching Tony Scott’s Enemy of the State with Hackman and Will Smith as it’s a bit of a homage to The Conversation.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Love and Mercy, about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys currently on iplayer. Watched last night and thought it was very good.

rich d

• forum hero
This thread is still great after all this time, every film that the wife and kids have forced/coerced me to watch during lockdown - which is loads have all been absolute dog shit.

andy popp

• forum hero
Love and Mercy, about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys currently on iplayer. Watched last night and thought it was very good.

In which case, I'll mention that this documentary about the making of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is streaming for free this week. For fans.

andy popp

• forum hero
I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone has mentioned this film. We watched Greta Gerwig's Little Women about a week ago. I thought it was fabulous, deserving every plaudit. I'd never read the source book or read any of the many previous adaptations.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
This thread is still great after all this time, every film that the wife and kids have forced/coerced me to watch during lockdown - which is loads have all been absolute dog shit.

Feel your pain. Captain Underpants, Spies in Disguise are notable lowlights.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Extraction - watched it twice recently cos I enjoyed it so much. Exactly what a modern action film should be.
Chris Hemsworth is really good in these kind of roles. Reminds me a bit of Harrison Ford. And myself, obviously.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
If you like seeing yourself in more action films, I actually though 12 Strong is a good film, amazingly "based on true events".

Yossarian

• forum hero
 :punk:
Extraction - watched it twice recently cos I enjoyed it so much. Exactly what a modern action film should be.
Chris Hemsworth is really good in these kind of roles. Reminds me a bit of Harrison Ford. And myself, obviously.

I did the same! The film work and stunts are AMAZING. The fights, and the falling out of buildings, etc.

tomtom

• forum hero

Me too. I was going to post about it! I really liked it - set in Dakha it had a very non Hollywood feel to it which I really enjoyed.

Duma

• forum hero
I thought the hundreds of faceless blameless brown people getting shot with zero thought or consequence was pretty holiwood tbh.

tomtom

• forum hero
I thought the hundreds of faceless blameless brown people getting shot with zero thought or consequence was pretty holiwood tbh.

Oh come on Duma - it’s not Rambo. If you want to discuss it wrt race it’s an action film set in Bangladesh.  All of the major actors apart from Hemsworth were not white IIRC. In terms of moral positioning it’s Mercenaries working for one drug lord vs another drug lord surrounded by bent police and more mercenaries!! Everyone is a piece of shit to varying degrees! & All of the white/western mercs get it fairly quick!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

I think that was the point...

I also think, whilst certainly caricature, it didn’t fall too far from the reality tree, in terms of  “value of life” ; as I recall it from my traveling days. 

Duma

• forum hero

Oh come on Duma - it’s not Rambo. If you want to discuss it wrt race it’s an action film set in Bangladesh.  All of the major actors apart from Hemsworth were not white IIRC. In terms of moral positioning it’s Mercenaries working for one drug lord vs another drug lord surrounded by bent police and more mercenaries!! Everyone is a piece of shit to varying degrees! & All of the white/western mercs get it fairly quick!

No they weren't. Almost everyone who died was a Bangladeshi soldier who, as far as they were concerned, were following what may well have been legitimate orders. Their general was bent, and thus a bad guy, but they were not. I'm not saying it's better or worse than the rest of the genre BTW.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Watched Extraction last night. Thought the main action sequence (though I wouldn't describe it as part of the action genre - it possibly ploughs a new furrow in a novel genre called Bullet Fuck) must be one of the best I've seen. Every bit of the film which wasn't Bullet Fuck was desperately boring, but I will definitely watch the Bullet Fuck bit again, if not just to try and make sense of and appreciate the incredible camera work.

The counter argument to "lots of anonymous brown people eating lead" is that if it was set in downtown Whitesville it would be yet another film with a mostly white cast in a mostly white place, which there is no end of criticism for.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal