UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1134045 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Saw Terminator: Dark Fate today; I was pretty much going to enjoy this, whatever it was like, but I was quite surprised that it's good anyway. Several of the ludicrous set pieces are pretty impressive, but Linda Hamilton is good in it, as is Arnie though he does have a few silly cheesy lines. Not world changing cinema but if you like the sound of evil AI death robots, C5 Hercules flying into the Hoover Dam and a cyborg time traveling female soldier, you'll love it.

andy popp

• forum hero
The Laundromat, Steven Soderbergh's larky but bleak take on the Panama Papers saga. Through a series of loosely coupled stories, the film traces the machinations of international finance and its many deeply buried networks, interspersed with campy direct to the audience turns from Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas as Mossack and Fonseca, partners in the dodgy legal firm at the heart of the scandal. Its not perfect, there are loose ends and weaker segments, but its highly enjoyable as black, sometimes tragic, comedy. Available on Netflix.

tomtom

• forum hero
I thought the Laundromat didn’t live up to the spin.

It felt more like money laundering for dummies - explained by Oldman and Banderas - as comic characatures of the real F&M.

First half was decent but it kind of lost its novelty and point By bribery101 act with the infidelity/daughter - which seemed a bit weird to me.

Meryl Streep, however, was outstanding... not - over-rated.

It was also interesting to see Oldman and Banderas together in the same scenes doing the same items to camera - and how for me Banderas somehow stole every scene - his twinkle seemed to engage more than Oldmans grumble.

remus

• forum hero
The Joker Better than I thought it was going to be and seemed an interesting departure from the usual super-villain / super hero stuff. Came out feeling slightly disturbed and mildly unsettled.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
We came out of Joker with a great deal of sympathy for him.

andy popp

• forum hero
"Dolemite is My Name" (Netflix). Eddie Murphy in the true story of do-it-yourself 70s Blaxploitation movie star Rudy Ray Moore; huge amounts of fun. "Dolemite is my name and fucking up motherfuckers is my game."

Paul B

• forum hero
The Joker Better than I thought it was going to be and seemed an interesting departure from the usual super-villain / super hero stuff. Came out feeling slightly disturbed and mildly unsettled.

Did you feel it lasted perhaps longer than it needed to?

remus

• forum hero

Did you feel it lasted perhaps longer than it needed to?

Not particularly, certainly didn't feel anywhere near as excessive as some of those avengers marathons that have come out recently that feel like you're trapped in a permanent inter galactic battle.

TobyD

• forum hero
Went to see Monos this afternoon. This was certainly not quite like anything I've ever seen before. I'd be pushed to say that I really enjoyed it, but it was a brilliant piece of filmmaking. Dark, affecting and relentless; I suppose it comes closest to Lord of the Flies meets Apocalypse Now?

TobyD

• forum hero
I've just read Peter Bradshaw's review,  embarrassingly,  he says a very similar thing: Monos review – Apocalypse Now on shrooms

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/13/monos-review-alejandro-landes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Eddies

• forum hero
I watched Netflix's 'The King' over the weekend. About a young Henry V becoming the king of England, declaring war on France and the ensuing battle of Agincourt.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Is it any good?

Eddies

• forum hero
...It was alright.

Mr E S Capegoat

Watched Joker last night. A good movie and interesting representation of the process of alienation. I can only assume he’d been on a 6 month energy systems Program possibly triggered by reading a seminal ‘capacities’ pdf online followed by spraying his mums pension up the shitter paying for an Internet coach. Regression into further ‘uselessness’ accompanied by a deluded level of the emperors new clothes was the final straw 😂

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
If we all had a whip-around and refunded the cost of your dalliance with lattice would you stop bleating about it?   

tomtom

• forum hero
If we all had a whip-around and refunded the cost of your dalliance with lattice would you stop bleating about it?

😂

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
 :lol: :2thumbsup: :yes: I'm in. I think I owe ScrapeScroat petrol money anyway but would rather put it towards this.

Duma

• forum hero
Please god

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

lol. Crowdfund it. I'd be in.

Mr E S Capegoat

You may mock, but Joker was clearly a metaphor for the insanity of our consumer culture and it’s energy systems zeitgeist. Fiend is eternally spouting from his back passage and the rest of you love it

Mr E S Capegoat

Don’t worry I’m sure someone will be along soon going on about letting it go and mental health etc. Thanks in advance 😊

Yossarian

• forum hero
The Cheetham Capillarization

“Who am I?”
“You’re Lattice property Dan.You’re a malfunctioning £60-a-month weapon. You’re a total goddam catastrophe!”

Jason Bourne, now back in the employ of the US government is tasked with tracking down renegade operative Dan Cheetham. Cheetham was part of Project Lattice - a next-gen physical augmentation programme administered from a black-ops facility in Sheffield, England. During programme training, Cheetham responded badly, experiencing life-threatening energy system fluctuations. Latticeboarded against his will, he escaped and went rogue. Now Bourne, teamed with Level 9 Lattice assets Barrows and Littlefair, must eliminate Cheetham before he makes contact with the Power Klub consortium, an underground deadhanging network funded by the mysterious Shark. If they fail, Cheetham has vowed to infiltrate Power Klub, using it to unleash the terrifying An-Cap Protocol.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

Mr E S Capegoat

It’s ok Yossarian, you can just call me Dan. Everyone on here knows who I am, so it should be ok. Maybe you’d like to write an article as above. You could introduce yourself into the narrative and maybe do a first person perspective. Maybe you could use your full name to make sure everyone knows who’s saying what about who, because this is absolutely necessary and absolutely not unpleasant in getting your genius point across. Ps hope your training is going well ✌️

cowboyhat

• forum hero
In response Grimer writes a think piece on the project magazine about the halcyon days of climbing/training films* and how drone footy has ruined the genre; which anyway weren't really proper climbing films in the first place.

On a serious note I went to the cinema to watch The Irishman. It is very very long and perhaps will find its natural home when it hits Netflix in a couple of weeks time.

Having said that, the dreamlike efficiency of the pacing; sound, editing and shot selection meant that the first three hours passed without notice, then i suddenly wondered how long i'd been sat there. Needless to say in that regard Scorsese is peerless. It is wholly excellent and I will watch it at home soon with a loo break.

*it was Splinter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal