UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139390 times)

tomtom

• forum hero

On a series tip, then I can second votes for Game of Thrones & SOA.  I'd also add Braquo (French cop thriller) and Gomorrah which we've talked about already.

After Game of Thrones & Homeland I was on the lookout for a new series to start.

I've watched the first three episodes of Braquo now and it's the best thing I've seen in ages.

Good tip. Is a Netflix style thing or dvd?

205Chris

• forum hero
After Game of Thrones & Homeland I was on the lookout for a new series to start.
I've watched the first three episodes of Braquo now and it's the best thing I've seen in ages.

Good tip. Is a Netflix style thing or dvd?

I picked it up off itunes. It is in French but you quickly look past this.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
On a series tip, then I can second votes for Game of Thrones & SOA.  I'd also add Braquo (French cop thriller) and Gomorrah which we've talked about already.

Finally! someone watches it. :wall: it's flippin' great.  (My French GF laughed at your comment BTW  :))

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Nice one Chris...  :popcorn:

Lopez

• stalker
Back on topic, i had a look through the thread 'cause i was interested to read other people's opinions, but didn't make it in here yet, so i may as well start it up.

I was curious about all the online infighting and so i watched American Sniper last night. I'd say if you are not American and have more than 2 functioning brain cells don't bother watching it.

It's just a series of scenes with no context or development which clumsily tries to follow a bunch of the mandatory story-threads and totally failing to hook you into any of them. Boorishly done and feeling rushed, and with the subtlety of a pneumatic jackhammer. It really felt like a simplistic 'film' trying to pick and chose elements from other films while leaving behind the garnishing, and though watchable, it isn't anything like interesting or absorbing. When you are checking your e-mails and facebook a number of times through the film you know they didn't quite get it right.

It is being touted as a 'companion' movie for The Hurt Locker but it lacks all that is good in it. How it racked 6 Oscar nominations is beyond me, although Cooper does manage to make a good job out of a shitty script.

On the 'political' side of it, it is a cringeworthy eye-rolling uber-patriotic piece of propaganda grade film-making, reminiscent of that film towards the end on Inglorious Basterds...  :sick:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

On the 'political' side of it, it is a cringeworthy eye-rolling uber-patriotic piece of propaganda grade film-making, reminiscent of that film towards the end on Inglorious Basterds...  :sick:

US Military Propaganda could just about be a new genre these days... 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Under the Skin might be amazing but also possibly rubbish. Not sure yet, still thinking about it. Whatever it's the strangest film I've seen in a while. Beautifully shot. Cleverly made (don't read up on it too much if you are going to see it)

Watched this far too late on monday night and couldn't stop watching, really really weird. Did I enjoy it? I don't know but i'll be watching it again. Never viewing this anything other than sober.

A very different film. The bit with the **** ******* and the **** *****, that was mental.

Watched this from my sickbed this afternoon.  Really great, especially if you don't read anything about it beforehand (I hadn't read much). 

Some Spoilers follow hence the drop down.

NSFW  :
The scene on the beach was really unsettling and upsetting... Just awful.  I loved the fact that her motorcycling partner looked almost identical to Dave in his spacesuit in 2001.. There's a lot going on so will definitely watch again.  Watching it with a fever whilst sick and a bit spaces out was an experience.

tomtom

• forum hero
I know its been mentioned before here - but we started watching House of Cards.. only done two episodes so far...

Absolutely superb.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I know its been mentioned before here - but we started watching House of Cards.. only done two episodes so far...

Absolutely superb.

British or American version?

tomtom

• forum hero

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Absolutely superb.
You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.  ;)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I'm half-way through the second series - good stuff; although, when Kevin Spacey's doing his slightly reptilian, scenery chewing thing, I could watch him reading from the Yellow Pages.

This wiki's pretty good for reminding you who's who, and just why they're stabbing thingummy in the back:

http://house-of-cards.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

tomtom

• forum hero
It's beautifully filmed too..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Still a bit  :sick: so had a nap, lots of tea then watched the HD version of Cammel and Roeg's "Performance" from 1970. Saw this ages ago on a crap VHS but it's miles better in its fully restored glory.  Fox, Jagger and 'Arry Flowers.. It's brilliant, quite disturbing. 

Gallant

• player
Finished not awful but certainly not fantastic exam - attempt to head back to library via coffee shop, have coffee, realise I can't be fucked with revision for a few hours, head to The Showroom.

I wound up catching A Most Violent Year, which I thought was pretty fantastic in my sleep deprived, not quite with reality state. Kind of classic gangster film in parts, with Oscar Isaac looking a hell of a lot like Michael Corleone in a few scenes, but otherwise about a man torn between doing the right thing and doing what might be right for his business. Went in having not watched trailers or read any reviews, walked out thinking it was well shot and worth a watch / recommendation.

psychomansam

• forum hero
I sknow its been mentioned before here - but we started watching House of Cards.. only done two episodes so far...

Absolutely superb.
You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.  ;)

The new season appears shortly.

Currently watching season2 of Forbrydelsen, and actually enjoying it more than the first. First was more towards fear-suspense, while this is more toward political intrigue. Both seasons are excellent. Watch it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Saw Whiplash tonight at our local cinema.  Gives an insight into what it takes to play music at the highest level and why mastery of an instrument with feeling is somewhat incompatible with the school system.  It will appeal to climbers, lots of blood, sweat and tears coupled with incomprehension and misunderstanding over the pursuit of something transcendental but impossible to describe to family and friends.  Recommended, although Tom, sorry mate, it's a film about a jazz drummer...

Off to see Inherent Vice next Friday.  The first Pynchon novel to be adapted for the big screen and it looks good.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
I liked it too. I think it might appeal more to climbers than jazz fans.

cofe

• forum hero
I went to the premiere of my friend Jon's new film at BFI Southbank on Saturday night. It was showing as part of the London Comedy Film Festival. In fact, it won the only award the festival gives out, which is a bit cool.

Anyway, it's called Superbob, and stars Brett Goldstein (stand-up comic, known for Derek and Drifters), Catherine Tate and a bunch of other people. It's a Brit indie film, made on a tiny budget. It's proper funny and I laughed my cock off. They're hoping to have distribution sorted soon, so hopefully it'll be coming to a cinema near you. Go see it if you get chance.

Teaser:

xx

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I went to the premiere of my friend Jon's new film at BFI Southbank on Saturday night. It was showing as part of the London Comedy Film Festival. In fact, it won the only award the festival gives out, which is a bit cool.

Anyway, it's called Superbob, and stars Brett Goldstein (stand-up comic, known for Derek and Drifters), Catherine Tate and a bunch of other people. It's a Brit indie film, made on a tiny budget. It's proper funny and I laughed my cock off. They're hoping to have distribution sorted soon, so hopefully it'll be coming to a cinema near you. Go see it if you get chance.
Looks great, did the 'tiny' budget include smashing up some cars or did they chase some ambulances for a bit?

Is the original 'short' they did online anywhere?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Looks great Cofe...

kelvin

• forum hero
Just watched White Settlers with Polyanna McIntosh as a great female lead. Not one for horror films to be honest but this was gripping, tense and kept me interested. A young couple sell up and move to Scotland in the middle of nowhere, a great fixer-upper - the rest of the movie is mostly shot at night. Not a bad week British movie at all.

cha1n

• forum hero
Watched The Imitation Game last night. It was definitely watchable but not as good as a beautiful mind or good will hunting to name a few other mathematician themed films.

I little annoyed as it had potential to be much better with its cast and story line.

I've been waiting so long to watch a good film lately, I'd say the closest was Gone Girl and Nightcrawler wasn't bad either. Keep the suggestions coming!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'm a sucker for Liam Neeson in Taken and Taken2 so watched "Non-Stop" last night.  A completely ridiculous plane hijack tale.  It's really daft but great.

Watched this last night. Top notch daftness!

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
Inherent Vice? I like a good stoner noir, liked Boogie Nights and even liked the book though I'm not into Pynchon; 5* in the Guardian and it's off to the Everyman...

I'd give it a low three stars. It strikes me as a very straight rendition of the book, which in turn is as straight as Pynchon's ever got (not very straight.) A mix of hippie LA, when counter culture hadn't obviously passed high water, Vietnam, vs straight America. Nixon in the mix. I should have liked it more that I did, but I guess it tonks merrily enough along. Haven't heard so many people speaking as though trying not to exhale since I lived on Harcourt Rd. However, my wife would like the two and a half hours of her life back as she hadn't a clue what was going on (two hours would be fairer, as she was having a lovely kip for at least half an hour).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal