UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1138976 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
'Good' is obviously very subjective. It's a bit like wine.

I wonder if you could make a list of 20 categories for people to mark out of 5 (i.e. how much X matters for a good film), so as to provide an understanding of their palate. Geeky thought I know.

I liked american hustle because I found the characters interesting and unexpectedly moving, because I enjoyed some of the scripting and cinematography and because it was only predictable in the right ways. Didn't like the ending, but didn't really care about that.
I've made no mention of the plot and content of the film. Sometimes those two just get in the way. Obviously, this sets my tastes well apart from many people, but then I do have some fairly esoteric tastes.

Paul B

• forum hero
'Good' is obviously very subjective. It's a bit like wine.

:alky:

Evil

• addict
Watched Lone Survivor last night  :slap:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Watched Rush last night, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It did go a bit cinematic-holywood at times but overall I thought it was good.

I watched this the other week. For some reason I was expecting something a bit more heavyweight but for what it is, it's good and I enjoyed it. Daniel Brühl as Lauda makes it imo.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
If you go in and expect a typical hollywood film with action/guns and car chases youre in the wrong theatre

I'd argue that if you found a movie to have a disappointing ending then it precludes it from being good!

You can argue all you like :P  its only my opinion and I am entitled to say it as we all are.... but to help you understand my meaning, the film is good, well acted, interesting direction and not very typical of Hollywood, the kind of 'different' you see in foreign language films, which was quite refreshing... sadly despite all this in its favour, the ending disappointed as it returns a bit to the Hollywood stereotype.  Didnt stop it being a good film at all. 
 :great:

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
For anyone into album art and photography check out Inside Out, a docu-film on Anton Corbjin. Probably best known for working with the likes of U2 and Depeche Mode to name just two, both black white photography and videos, but also for making the film about Ian Curtis, Control.

Good documentary, very personal (a little uncomfortable for Anton at times) which makes for good honest viewing. Good contributions too from the likes of Metallica, Lou Reed, Martin Gore.....

Paul B

• forum hero
Any opinions on Dallas Buyers Club?

Gallant

• player
Watched it yesterday evening with a few friends on the small screen. It was rather well filmed and acted, and reasonably thought provoking. Quite a heavy watch though, rather far from cheerful or uplifting.

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw "Love" on DVD last night. An odd film (low budget Sci fi) about a bloke marooned on the international space station - good - but had a bit of a 'huh?' ending if that makes sense.. Not going out of your way to watch - but 80 mins of engaging but odd entertainment...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1541874/

Interesting tale to the film - sponsored/made by the band who provided the sound track - and the ISS set was made in one of the band members back yard...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Finally saw Watchmen the other night.

Having read the book as a lad I didn't think a film could do it justice. Happy to be proved wrong.

Surely the best adaptation of a comic book ever, or have I missed something better?

tomtom

• forum hero
Finally saw Watchmen the other night.

Having read the book as a lad I didn't think a film could do it justice. Happy to be proved wrong.

Surely the best adaptation of a comic book ever, or have I missed something better?

Yup its great. I'm not into that comic book shizzle, but really liked Watchmen. Stylistic. Gritty. Good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Was it the full length version? Not seen that yet. The cinema version had the whole story in a story about the pirates cut out.

Watched Trance on Saturday night. Started off in usual Danny Boyle stye, slick, well filmed, well acted, nicely paced, but felt it all got bit muddled and messy towards the end.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Finally got to watch Filth over the weekend and it does live up to its name.  I'd give it 8 out of 10 as its good, darkly funny and very Trainspotting in places.  Recommended.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
We also watched Dallas Buyers Club which was really, really good. The subject matter was quite hard going in places and the actors are shockingly thin, they really look awful, but it's well worth a watch. I can see why it's up for / won so many awards.
;)

psychomansam

• forum hero
We also watched Dallas Buyers Club which was really, really good. The subject matter was quite hard going in places and the actors are shockingly thin, they really look awful, but it's well worth a watch. I can see why it's up for / won so many awards.
;)

Yea. It's good. N stuff.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Oscar for Mconaughey!!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched the first episode of that True Detective series with him and Woody Harrelson last night and he was excellent in that too.

He also looked painfully thin which I guess is cos it was filmed at a similar time to DBC.

Evil

• addict
Watched the first episode of that True Detective series with him and Woody Harrelson last night and he was excellent in that too.

Am up to episode 5 on this now, and loving it!  :2thumbsup:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
got this to watch next I think. Anyone seen the blacklist? - woprth watching?
(sorry yes TV series here and not films I know  :off:)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I've got it Sky+ed but not started watching yet, it's supposed to be really good, I heard loads of good reviews, but obviously I can't comment yet.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
BTW, true detective is pretty dam good

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched recently...

Spike Island - Bunch of lads attempt to get to the famous Roses gig. Nothing new but entertaining and funny and with a decent soundtrack obviously.

Monsters University - Amusing enough to not be a pain in the arse to sit through when used to entertain several kids but not anywhere near as good as Monsters Inc or indeed.....

The Lego Movie - Saw this in 3D at the pictures on Saturday with the sprog. It's the best kids film I've ever seen, in fact it's probably unfair just to label it a kids film as (like the Toy Story films but more so) it works on lots of different levels. Superb. Glad Mrs S didn't come with us as I've a good excuse to watch it again when it comes out on DVD.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Watched Metro Manila http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1845838/?ref_=nv_sr_1 at the weekend.

Really good, thought provoking film. Tense and atmospheric, and a scary insight into poverty in the Philippines. Would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind watching films with subtitles. 

Dr T

• forum hero
Watched recently...

Monsters University - Amusing enough to not be a pain in the arse to sit through when used to entertain several kids but not anywhere near as good as Monsters Inc or indeed.....

The Lego Movie - Saw this in 3D at the pictures on Saturday with the sprog. It's the best kids film I've ever seen, in fact it's probably unfair just to label it a kids film as (like the Toy Story films but more so) it works on lots of different levels. Superb. Glad Mrs S didn't come with us as I've a good excuse to watch it again when it comes out on DVD.

agreed and agreed (not quite sure it's the best kid's movie ever but it's a contender)

also saw Mud yesterday - really rate it, a similar feel (due to setting more than anything else) to "beasts of the southern wild" - but much easier to watch

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal