UKBouldering.com

Assisted Dying, UK Parliament (Read 208 times)

stone

• forum abuser
Assisted Dying, UK Parliament
Today at 09:05:50 am
This morning at 08:15am BBC R4 had a thought provoking item with Esther Rantzen and Amy Proffitt talking for and against the assisted dying bill being debated in UK Parliament today.

I was uncomfortable with Esther Rantzen's comment that she thought her dog's death was better than her mother or husband's had been. I know she means well and also that it was a light hearted comment. It made me reflect though that my fish at work are one stage further along than her dog in terms of luxury/"dignity". Her dog had to endure old age. My fish all get euthanised before they become elderly and that is (rightly) insisted on by animal welfare officers etc for lab animals.

Perhaps what is messed up is people seeing it as somehow being undignified to be demented and incontinent or whatever. When we are new born babies, we are like that and everyone is fine with that.

I'm throwing this out there because I've got very limited experience, knowledge or insight on this and am keen to hear others' perspectives.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
This morning at 08:15am BBC R4 had a thought provoking item with Esther Rantzen and Amy Proffitt talking for and against the assisted dying bill being debated in UK Parliament today.

I was uncomfortable with Esther Rantzen's comment that she thought her dog's death was better than her mother or husband's had been. I know she means well and also that it was a light hearted comment. It made me reflect though that my fish at work are one stage further along than her dog in terms of luxury/"dignity". Her dog had to endure old age. My fish all get euthanised before they become elderly and that is (rightly) insisted on by animal welfare officers etc for lab animals.

Perhaps what is messed up is people seeing it as somehow being undignified to be demented and incontinent or whatever. When we are new born babies, we are like that and everyone is fine with that.

I'm throwing this out there because I've got very limited experience, knowledge or insight on this and am keen to hear others' perspectives.
It’s not as simple as indignity, it’s often pain and suffering. I know my wife would have taken the option, many months before she died and I would have carried out myself.
The whole thing is a nightmare though and far from simple, unless we want a “Logan’s run” world.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Wow Stone, another  :thumbsup: heavy topic thread.
Like your style! 

Having more than 2 decades of working in elderly care, complex dementia & intensive care, including the first two waves of COVID, I’ve seen a lot of death. Much of it quite drawn out and horrible for both the person and their loved ones.
So from a professional perspective I’m a strong believer that the approach to care and its delivery can be a lot better.

From a personal perspective, having had a family member have a prolonged painful and mentally painful end stage of life due to cancer, my feelings are the same.

remus

• forum hero

One significant difference is that a new born child has ~75 years of quality living ahead of them, whereas a dementia patient is unlikely to have lots of quality living ahead of them.

Personally I hope assisted dying is legal by the time Im at risk. It seems to work well in other countries, and forcing people to suffer through poor-quality of life with little hope of enjoyment seems unusually cruel.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
Wow heavy indeed, possibly deserving of a woke 'trigger warning '

My older brother died of cancer about 25 years ago when he was only 23. Sitting watching him die slowly with my parents and younger brother is the most freeing, but horrific experience I've ever had.

The only save grace was that they pumped him so full of morphine he wasn't in pain. Given the choice he & we as a family would of ended his life earlier and with more dignity.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Having witnessed the effect on my close family of my grandmothers slow descent into alzheimers over a five year period I agree that it would be better for everyone with a similar diagnosis to be able to go gently into the good night. There's no grace in losing your mind and memories.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal