UKBouldering.com

Books... (Read 544921 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2125 Re: Books...
Yesterday at 10:32:37 pm
I’ve never read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell but “Sparks” has been compared favourably, so if you liked that I suspect you’ll like this one.

Biiiiiiig recommend, alongside Piranesi also from Susanna Clarke if you haven’t read that. I’ll give this one a go!

I’ll let you read me in on the old solve et coagula afterwards 😆

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2126 Re: Books...
Yesterday at 10:56:36 pm
 :-[

Sorry Fiend! I did fear sounding like a right knobhead writing this down and then reading it back.

JB - Whoops, yeah Taylor (where did I get Walker from?). It’s a great read and I’m sure you and Ellie will enjoy it. Very Sheffield which is why I’m sure she followed you on Twitter.

As for the others, I’d leave the Davies until you’re in the right mood as it’s chunky and dense. The Pasulka is a good entertaining read, probably similar to the book Sean suggested as it has got lots of California high desert scenes in it too. Madden’s not too dense, but a bit of a mindblower. 

The Thiese has f-all to do with UFOs and is a lovely read.

Yeah I’ve read Higg’s KLF book. It’s good and funny (I think I talked about on here too) and of course they nicked pretty much everything from RaW and his associates at the time.  His two books on William Blake are brilliant.

Funnily enough, per KLF, last night, I discovered that this https://www.klfrs.com/dispatches-from-the-k-line runs through the street we live on, passing through the house nextdoor but one.

Dolly

• forum hero
#2127 Re: Books...
Yesterday at 11:12:14 pm
Nice one, Ben, lot of interesting sounding stuff to explore there...

The Stirrings: Catherine Walker.

It's Taylor innit? Been intrigued by this since - weird flex alert - she followed me on Twitter (no idea why). Will pick up a copy as Ellie was curious too and is squarely in the core audience.

High Weirdness: Erik Davies.
American Cosmic (UFOs Religon and Technology) : Diane Pasulka.
Unidentified Hyper Object: James D Madden
Notes on Complexity, A Scientific Theory of Connection, Consciousness, and Being: Neil Thiese

These all sound great! Which would you recommend first? Have you read John Higgs' book on the KLF, I will have recommended it many pages back? Touches on similar ground although no doubt in a lighter manner. Also reminds me I ground to a halt half way through a McGilchrist tome a couple of years back... need to revisit.

I haven’t finisehed it either and I’m not sure it’s “necessary “ TBH.

Dolly

• forum hero
#2128 Re: Books...
Yesterday at 11:27:27 pm
I know I’ve mentioned it on another thread but Ecos Travels in hyper Reality is IMO the perfect amalgum of Euro pride scintillating intellect withering dismissal of the US and an expression of “what’s wrong” with modern culture. It’s old but still spot on IMO with genuine LOL moments

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal