UKBouldering.com

Gorilla Warfare (Read 1775 times)

scouse

Gorilla Warfare
November 18, 2006, 06:14:23 pm
Hi all, just a question regarding the start of Gorilla Warfare. The Rockfax guide states "traverse out from the base of Off-Width".  However, speaking to a few 'locals' today they were adamant that it starts from the the juggy crescent shaped flake just to the right of Off-Width.  This would make a more logical start in my humble opinion. Starting from the base of Off-Width is practically a sit down start which isnt suggested in the Rockfax text. It also adds a move or two which adds to the difficulty  >:(
I've invested quite a bit of effort in this problem so when I nail it I wont to be sure that I've done the correct start!  I appreciate this may sound a bit anal  :)
Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated
Cheers

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Gorilla Warfare
November 18, 2006, 06:44:58 pm
The original start was on the left arete, traversed the top of the block, downclimbed the offwidth, and finished round the corner. Most people now start at either of the two places you mention. For my money you should start where you like, it's not as if starting in the crack changes the grade, but you might want the extra satisfaction of doing the extra move.

scouse

#2 Re: Gorilla Warfare
November 18, 2006, 07:53:22 pm
Cheers for the comments Ru.  I suppose you are right when you say that starting in the crack or slightly to the right has no bearing on the grade.
Scouse

cofe

• forum hero
#3 Re: Gorilla Warfare
November 19, 2006, 06:31:58 pm
sit start on the flake.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal