for that you need one of these:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#451 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 11:04:29 am
last night i had this dream:
i was in shef at late evening, and was going to the works. there was a blond guy climbing a yellow holds problem (quite complex to be true), and i went out to a supermarket to buy a lock for my bike. while out i looked up to the sky, saw some clouds and thought that id better not thrash myself at the works in order to try brad pit the following day. i was very happy.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#452 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 11:07:37 am
cross thread post.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#453 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 11:35:54 am
ROFL Nibile!

I must confess I had two vivid dreams about the Works before it opened - you boys have got a lot to answer for. Andy who I met down there had also had a dream the night before. Where's the "complete fruitcase" smileys eh??

BTW, yellow is long but juggy...

mowern

• regular
#454 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 11:39:01 am
Went last night........ VG indeed.
Even after following all the hype and seeing the photos, was still very impressed on seeing it for real.
Great problems,..... make you think a bit more.
Trouble is there was so many problems, doesn't encourage you to work one problem, just move on to the next...... this will come with time when the excitement has wained a little.
Thought the grip tape on otherwise smooth volumes was a great idea.
The temp in there seemed about right too. Hope its alright in there in the summer, all those windows and roof lights might make it a bit warm, we'll have to see I guess.
Well done to the climbing works gang, hope it all goes well.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#455 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 11:49:46 am
last night i had this dream:
i was in shef at late evening, and was going to the works. there was a blond guy climbing a yellow holds problem (quite complex to be true), and i went out to a supermarket to buy a lock for my bike. while out i looked up to the sky, saw some clouds and thought that id better not thrash myself at the works in order to try brad pit the following day. i was very happy.

I was in climbingworks yesterday. Oddly I keep thinking I've just spotted Bill Bailey slapping his way up an overhanging arete, but when I look closer it's just some guy with long hair. A place of dreams indeed.

RichardB

• regular
#456 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 12:02:52 pm
Is it open to the pubic on Saturday? The trials are on and it would be nice to try it out and provide moral support at the same time.

mowern

• regular
#457 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 12:08:13 pm
See The Edge have dropped their price for bouldering:
http://www.sheffieldclimbing.com/indoor/news.html#item39
Could be some interesting price wars on the horizon, although I can't see climbing works needing to follow suit.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#458 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 12:16:07 pm
The Edge's "festive special". Funny how it hasn't been that festive in the last 4 years :P

Don't worry Edge, I'll still go in for routing...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#459 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 01:17:38 pm
Hope its alright in there in the summer, all those windows and roof lights might make it a bit warm, we'll have to see I guess.
It was fine on sunny days back in Sept, can't believe that was only 3 months ago. Incredible that they got it open in such a short space of time. Well done again to all involved.

ps: Get well soon Sammy! Poor lad is a bit run down after soo much hard work.

cofe

• forum hero
#460 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 02:01:59 pm
anyone know if the PDQ machine is up and running yet?

Scouse D

• forum hero
#461 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 02:42:51 pm
don't worry, Cofe will pay you in.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#462 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 04:30:54 pm
Still no PDQ machine. Big up to LloydsTSB ( :wank:) whose idea of free business banking is to do bugger all to help you out starting up - BASTARDS! Soon though, I think is the best we can come up with. Watch this space...

mowern

• regular
#463 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 04:33:15 pm
Don't get them mixed up with the 'wank bank'

Paul B

• forum hero
#464 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 04:43:47 pm
Still no PDQ machine. Big up to LloydsTSB ( :wank:) whose idea of free business banking is to do bugger all to help you out starting up - BASTARDS! Soon though, I think is the best we can come up with. Watch this space...

Natwest seemed to have a similar policy when Jon and I were sorting out the bolt fund, they didnt even bother to type up half of the application form! They're all as bad as each other banks.

dave

#465 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 09:21:37 pm
See The Edge have dropped their price for bouldering:
http://www.sheffieldclimbing.com/indoor/news.html#item39
Could be some interesting price wars on the horizon, although I can't see climbing works needing to follow suit.

not surprising really, who in their right mind is going to pay £6.50 any more to boulder in a crampt hot wall, given that seemingly the only attraction of the edge bouldering used to be percy's problems setting, which they ain't got any more.  I woulnd't even pay £4 to boulder there. if my budget is £4 then the matrix is twice as big.

On the subject of all banks existing to fuck you over, don't be surprised when in the next few years they all start to charge £25 a month for a current account - it will happen. How the fuck they think they can morally charge you for you lending them your money is beyond me. When it happens i'm buying and old matress to keep all my bananas in, and a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#466 Re: new wall in shef
December 06, 2006, 11:08:14 pm
Anger over lack of PDQ machine has turned Westie into a twisted sort of pixie!...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#467 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 08:52:17 am
Looks like someone grabbed his Lucky Charms!

Palomides

• forum abuser
#468 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 09:42:49 am

Percy, check your PMs, I might be able to help.

squeek

• junky
#469 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 10:48:09 am
On the subject of all banks existing to fuck you over, don't be surprised when in the next few years they all start to charge £25 a month for a current account - it will happen. How the fuck they think they can morally charge you for you lending them your money is beyond me. When it happens i'm buying and old matress to keep all my bananas in, and a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist.

Banks used to charge for current accounts, they still do in the USA from what I can gather, and for things like processing checks.  They stopped because they were making so much money on fees, credit cards and loans that offering free current accounts was a good way to entice people in to use the bank.  Now that people are claiming unfair charges back and fees are being set lower they need to make their money somewhere else, so yes curent accounts might start having fees with them, 0% interest deals on credit cards might stop, and all the unsecured lending might tighten up a lot.

You're not lending the banks money in a current account any more.  They don't borrow money off their current and savings account holders to lend people for loans and mortgages.  The use the carry trade for much better margins, and only need a tiny fraction of actual money compared to what they can lend out.

The banks maintain internet banking, telephone banking, switch cards, cash machines, branches, standing orders, direct debits all for you and your current account, and at the minute they give it you for free.  If they're not making money out of current accounts, why should they not charge you for them?  You can keep your money in a suitcase all you want, they won't care, but you'll still need a current account for your wage, unfortunately.  Hopefully if/when that happens they'll offer a complete internet based current account with a lot lower fees. 

Sorry about all this being off topic.

RichardB

• regular
#470 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 12:50:01 pm
Is it open Saturday?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#471 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 12:54:42 pm
fair points above,

however:

you would have thought with the loans and monies coming through a small business acount that it would be sooooooo in the banks interest in the case of the climbing works that they would get the pdq machines in when the works needed them. The revenue lost in the shop must be significant, which a slice of is the banks..

i for one havent bought some new shiny kit from there yet simply cos i dont carry more than say £20 in cash about.....yeah i know i could go to a cashpoint; but the impluse buy is just so wrong - and at the time reals so right ;D

hmmmmmmmm......  shiny......

IMO it's a pretty bad deal for the works here, are the bank stepping outside their contract agreement here?

compo culture strikes again!

Palomides

• forum abuser
#472 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 01:07:00 pm

you would have thought with the loans and monies coming through a small business acount that it would be sooooooo in the banks interest in the case of the climbing works that they would get the pdq machines in when the works needed them.

It might be in their interest, but most Banks are huge organisations, which leads to an enduring inability to have their shit together.

Face it, in everyone's experience it's not uncommon for banks to set things up wrong, and then waste days and weeks denying that they've cocked up, then cock things up MORE when they try to fix the problem, then eventually get it right and expect you to be grateful.

They're a right shower of bastards. And I speak from a professional perspective.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#473 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 02:31:10 pm
As you say we might have lost out on shop sales but we have saved on PDQ fees. At 34p a tranaction for Switch and with a possible few hundred transactions we have saved maybe £100-£200 in fees - as a new business we don't pay normal charges for 18 months (eg cash handling charges) so we don't have to factor that in at the moment.

Difficult to know if we have lost out but on Sunday I was glad that we had no PDQ, it is much quicker to say £8.50 please and give change than it is to do a PDQ transaction.

To answer another point, yes The Works is open Saturday but the comp wall is out of bounds (for obvious reasons) and in the afternoon the fixed board is out of bounds (it will be the iso area).

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#474 Re: new wall in shef
December 07, 2006, 03:11:43 pm
How long before the fixed board and the 20deg. area are ready?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal