Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#675 Re: new wall in shef
March 02, 2007, 07:15:46 pm
Very dirty holds  :(

Went down for the first time for a while, after visiting The Foundry and Leeds a bit, and although the problems are still good and the atmosphere still great, it was noticable how filthy the holds are. The purples are fairly recent, right? And grubby. The yellows....yellow and black swirls more like. It's a pity this as it's always detrimental...

Complaining about me pointing out that the holds are dirty and thus detrimental to the problems won't make the holds any cleaner nor the dirt any less detrimental, you know.

As highlighted above, I am full of praise for the good aspects of The Climbing Works (and have been throughout this thread) - ignoring that part of my view isn't helpful either.

Yes it is great. Yes it also has a problem due to overuse. Yes that problem negatively affects the quality. Yes it would be even better if that problem was alleviated. Why do you think I'm pointing this out? To take the piss? To moan for the sake of it? Or because I'd like it improved for the sake of the wall and the users (including myself)?

Dave - you're right I have seen at least one brush on a stick below the comp wall. I have never seen any others around the circuit area.

DrT - your experiences differs from mine, I hardly ever seen anyone brushing the circuit area (and not much on the comp wall either), at the very least an average of our experiences means there's half as much brushing going on as there could be.

As I say I'd just like to see cleaner holds for more enjoyable climbing.

dave

#676 Re: new wall in shef
March 02, 2007, 07:35:44 pm

Dave - you're right I have seen at least one brush on a stick below the comp wall. I have never seen any others around the circuit area.

i've seen a brush round the circuit bit, and near the woddie bit. don't know if its just the same brush i see in different places though.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#677 Re: new wall in shef
March 06, 2007, 05:07:14 pm
New circuits up again, folks. Brown - easy-peasey. Red - font 6b to 7a+ courtesy of a frenetic day of setting yesterday by myself and Mr Whittaker. And a whole comp wall full of hard problems courtesy of me and the weasel. The comp wall problems are left-over from British team training last weekend, so take the format of 14 'ladies' problems (qualifiers, semis and finals standard) and 14 mens problems (the same again). If you want to know how strong you are compared to the team wads, come and have a go. 28 problems from 6b to 'thick' 7c, if you know what I mean.

As a guide, Earl did all the mens problems in a session, only falling off 4 times. Punter... ;)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#678 Re: new wall in shef
March 06, 2007, 05:09:34 pm
Oh, and we currently have at least 3 sets of brush on a stick apparatus on the premises, as we always have done. If you can't find one, just ask one of our staff and they'll find you one. Ask me, and I'll even brush the holds for you!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#679 Re: new wall in shef
March 06, 2007, 09:02:33 pm
the reds rock...

the reds are also rock hard compared to previous graded circuits....

top time.. only got halfway round... and failed on more than a few..

some, it has to said, are a bit heightist....... i'm not too bothered though cos it's very well set indeed.

thanks wrks guys! :great:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#680 Re: new wall in shef
March 06, 2007, 09:56:27 pm
Reds are good....didn't do that many but nice holds and nice variety. Good spread of grades too, seemed to take in the full graded spectrum. Getting grubby already sadly, keep brushing please folks.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#681 Re: new wall in shef
March 06, 2007, 10:12:52 pm
Getting grubby already sadly, keep brushing please folks.

What can we do, reds are less than 2 days old and already dirty. As Fiend says keep brushing.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#682 Re: new wall in shef
March 06, 2007, 10:38:36 pm
It was well busy tonight. Still plenty of space to climb, which is nice. Was rather dusty in the air - the first time I've noticed it to be honest, but others pointed it out.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#683 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 10:01:30 am
Red's are very good. Well done the setters.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#684 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 10:09:56 am
Dusty caused by all that brushing, not doubt ;)

Look folks, here's the deal. The Climbing Works is a nice place to go climbing, so it gets very busy. Luckily its big enough that you always can find a quiet corner to do a bit. However, the down side is that holds will get dirty, and chalk dust will float about. We are doing our best to cope with the popularity of the place, but patience will be rewarded. Since opening, every single problem in the wall has been taken down, cleaned, and a replacement put in its place - in some cases more than once. I reckon we have now set well over 500 new problems in the last 10 weeks. We have also spent £2500 on a bespoke filtration system, the first unit of which is now installed. The second unit will be put in shortly (when we can afford it). The filtration systen works really well, but the building is so big we will need 3 of the things to really kill the dust, so bear with us while we save up in our big piggy bank.

The Climbing Works has been designed and brought to you by 3 chancers who got bored with listening to all our friends and aquiantances saying that 'somebody' ought to build an awesome bouldering centre. We have done it, and we're glad everybody likes it. We are still learning how the place works, but as we identify problems we will attempt to sort them out, and have no qualms about spending money to improve our customers climbing experience - unlike many other walls.

Our business works on the principal that 'It's nice to be nice', and we will do eveything in our power to make sure The Climbing Works give its customers the best bouldering experience you can have inside a building. Bearing in mind the building concerned was an empty shell 6 months ago, we have got to where we are now pretty quickly, so have a little patience while we tidy up the last few clitches!

We know what needs improving, and our customers have pointed all this out to us a long time ago. We ain't stupid, but we're going as fast as we can. So now please stop posting the bleeding obvious, Fiend! :P

james

• obsessive maniac
#685 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 10:16:05 am
If there is anything left in that big piggy bank of yours then a couple of these could come in very handy
http://www.airtreatment.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_8&products_id=206

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#686 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 10:23:57 am
Cheers James. That was a useful piece of feedback! Take note everybody.... Maybe we should get rid of the piggy bank and go for something larger - a BlueWhaley Bank, perhaps?!?! A dehumidifier could well be in the pipeline - we just need to stop frittering away all our cash on toys for me and Sam (Mr Whittaker's weakness is expensive sound systems and mixers, whilst I myself am more of a power tool fetishist. What ever floats your boat, as my mother would say...)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#687 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 11:15:23 am
That old sound system was broken. Not even the greatest electronic minds in history could work with it - it had to be replaced, and there would be no point in buying a rubbish one. That said - buying the Porsche 911 of mixers was perhaps a bit extravagant.

Whilst on the subject of stuff to spend money on, Can you install a fully licensed bar?

Simon S

• menacing presence
#688 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 06:15:36 pm

The Climbing Works has been designed and brought to you by 3 chancers who got bored with listening to all our friends and aquiantances saying that 'somebody' ought to build an awesome bouldering centre. We have done it, and we're glad everybody likes it. We are still learning how the place works, but as we identify problems we will attempt to sort them out, and have no qualms about spending money to improve our customers climbing experience - unlike many other walls.

I only wish more walls were run like this. Some don't seem to give a toss about customers as if they don't matter.

I cannot wait to take my first visit to your wall this weekend   :thumbsup:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#689 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 09:09:53 pm
good post perc.....

it's a wall......

just a wall.....

but the best indoor climbing the UK has....

lets try to keep the feedback +ve, to make the place better!!!!!!!

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#690 Re: new wall in shef
March 07, 2007, 09:23:44 pm
I did mention this earlier, and I haven't been since late Dec on my one and only visit, but why don't you have lots of brushes on poles (a la Boulder UK) lying around the place so people can clean the last few holds on problems. You may already do this in which case a) disregard this post and b) well done for spotting and solving one of the biggest problems (ok, the only problem) I encountered when I was there.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#691 Re: new wall in shef
March 12, 2007, 06:18:32 pm
New trailer for the Works - hope the link works
http://

Paul B

• forum hero
#692 Re: new wall in shef
March 12, 2007, 06:21:05 pm
I love the twirls on the campus board...

Lauren

#693 Re: new wall in shef
March 14, 2007, 04:29:31 pm
Just a quick question ( and this is NOT a critisism merely a question) The comp wall is a bit hardcore at the moment and I know that the Masters comp is scheduled for the 24th, so..... will there be a better spread of grades prior to the masters or will I have to content myself with circuits until april ?

ta!

Big Garry

#694 Re: new wall in shef
March 15, 2007, 11:53:02 am
Hey Lauren hope you are well.Sam has ask me to let you know that he will be putting up some new and easier problems on the comp wall some time today,hopefully in time for the evening session. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BIG GARRY.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#695 Re: new wall in shef
March 15, 2007, 11:59:50 am
Good idea to have some easier ones as well, but I'd like to add that the current set are brilliant - great moves, plus I get spanked everytime and I love it. Good job, whoever set them. Interesting job, whoever graded them.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal