UKBouldering.com

new wall in shef (Read 174544 times)

squeek

• junky
#100 Re: new wall in shef
September 07, 2006, 10:08:18 pm
Graeme A - BMC competition supremo + climbing wall owner = conflict of interest? Wonder where all future BBC's will be held? I'm not complaining - I live in Sheffield.

To be fair even if he wasn't involved, it would still be one of the BBC setters walls, that has enough space and variation for all the male and female qualifiers that won't overlap, and it's half way across the country(ish), and it looks like it has lots of space for spectators.  So I suspect that it would have had a good chance of being used anyway.  Good luck to everyone involved, I'm sure it'll be a great wall.

Paul B

• forum hero
#101 Re: new wall in shef
September 07, 2006, 10:48:39 pm
arent some of the figures such as turnovers made available to other walls as well? I understand this may be the case...

MattH

• menacing presence
#102 Re: new wall in shef
September 10, 2006, 10:49:14 am
Re the website.

Graeme, Percy and Sam approached me 2 days before I went to Cornwall for a week, and asked for something to be built quickly. The site will undergo a re-design at some stage in the near future.

There is an unfortunate DNS issue with the server which should have been cleared up whilst I was away. It was not and I'm on to tech support to get this cleared up. Apologies to anybody who has tried to access it and been greeted by the UKReg splash screen.

A couple of people helpfully pointed out that the site is shit. A little illumination would be useful here. If you have any thoughts on what should or should not be included please feel free to post here or email me (matt@heason.net).

Cheers,
MattH

p.s. I just posted a few pics taken yesterday to whet your appetites...

Dr T

• forum hero
#103 Re: new wall in shef
September 11, 2006, 10:09:11 pm
had problems accessing the site
can get it now
yeah it's not really mega detailed but if the place is still being built....
wish us soft southerners could have such a facility outside London
 :please:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#104 Re: new wall in shef
September 25, 2006, 07:09:35 pm
There's a few new photos in the picture section of the website - www.climbingworks.com  just to give folks the flavour of what we are doing. Please note that the snaps only give a 'flavour' and only show little bits. We don't want to spoil the suprise for all you folks, now do we! All will be revealed come mid November. We will update the pictures a little more regularly from now on too, as work progresses.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#105 Re: new wall in shef
September 25, 2006, 07:21:08 pm
Looking good!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#106 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 11:20:42 am
It does look amazing. Huge - and steep. We'll all either develop Euro Wad arms or get injured. Good work boys.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#107 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 11:40:09 am
Oh.

For some reason  when I first saw that I thought they were two rather unimpressive pictures posted one above the other  :-[

Doh.

On reflection, it looks class - and is that some hideous v-groove roof-chimney slot-thing I see??!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#108 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 11:54:57 am
where do you anchor the top ropes? ;)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#109 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 12:17:12 pm
No, its not a hideous groove chimney thing. We're building the worlds best bouldering wall, remember?!?!
Don't forget the nice thick mat that will go under the wall, reducing the height to a more ammenable 4.5metres so no need for top-ropes. Plus Graeme is quite short..... Remeber that the photo shows what might be 20 square metres of climbing surface - there is the other 1030 square metres that you ain't seen yet to worry about too! :bounce:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#110 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 12:21:33 pm
No, its not a hideous groove chimney thing.

Looks more like a hideous offwidth thing to me...  :-\

Still with that amount of wall to go at I should be safe for a few months. :) 

bluebrad

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#111 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 12:26:43 pm
Potentially this is going to be the greatest leap forward in terms of UK (maybe europe?) wall standards and I'm probably going to move back to Sheffield in January/February to make the most of it. Really good job to those involved.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#112 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 12:34:59 pm
itll be nice not having to care about weather forecast before booking ryanair!!!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#113 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 12:44:48 pm
No, its not a hideous groove chimney thing.

Percy given your track record and the passionate malice with which you set volume problems, you can forgive any of us who don't believe a word about the lack of hideous groove chimney things  ;D

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#114 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 07:35:10 pm
We noticed this afternoon that we had inadvertantly created a 14 inch wide 40 degree overhanging off-width in the middle of the competition wall. Now obviously we were going to fill this in, but then Mr Pickles and myself thought maybe we might leave it....... who knows!

dave

#115 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 08:30:57 pm
all looks good. how much is it going to cost me to get in Percy? This is the million $ question.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#116 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 09:09:04 pm
Pricing will be as follows.....

£4.50 Off-peak concessions
£5.50 Off-peak standard rate
£5.50 Peak concessions
£6.50 Peak standard

Off peak finishes at 4pm - and weekends are peak time all day

£2.00 one off registration fee on your first visit

Monthly, 3 monthly and Annual membership deals also avaliable.

Its not way cheaper than anybody else, but it will be way better than anybody else. I firmly believe in value for money (being a tight arse), and you won't find a better place to train for your coin.

Free wi-fi for customers, plus poncey italian coffee and comfy sofas.

Check the website at the start of October for a limited offer of cheap annual memberships - only 50 memberships on offer at a bargain rate...............could be worthwhile for all you Sheffield based boulderers.

And as ever, all this is absolutely correct....probably....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#117 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 10:36:03 pm
I'm probably going to move back to Sheffield in January/February to make the most of it.

Amazing! Could this be the first time a climber has moved to Sheffield for the INDOOR climbing?? On the strength of this hopefully the grit will be quiet this winter, if everyone follows Bungle off to the wall whenever conditions are good...

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#118 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 11:32:37 pm
Err its a good job you put the disclaimer at the end cos you've obviously been sniffing too much of Taz's wood (filler).

Cos what you meant to add was that we will be doing 12 for the price of 10 tickets.

And cheap rate 'Hour of Power' sessions for those lucky enough to be within striking distance for those all important lunch time sessions.

And of course our beard-scratchingly fantastic long term offer of anyone turning up on their bike (self propelled, wheeled means of transport just in case anyone asks), by public transport, on foot or by full car share will get a free cuppa* (* conditions apply  ;D)

"Free wi-fi for customers, plus poncey italian coffee and comfy sofas." Doesn't of course mean free anything, you have to pay for the coffee, you can sit on the sofa's for free but they are ours so you can't have them. And even the free wi-fi will have a price - the risk that our WAN/LAN/SH/IT consultant (think he's called Niddob or something) will probably have yer 'My Documents/My Photos/Secret Shots' folder up on here in a jiffy. Or at least after he's finished with the jiffy.

And as ever, all this is absolutely correct....probably. Except for Dobbin's name of course. Oh b*ollocks I've given the game away.

Respect to the Jed.  8)

Plus of course free physio for all those called St. Ewart Licklefair who injure themsleves whilst on-sight.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#119 Re: new wall in shef
September 26, 2006, 11:36:53 pm
Amazing! Could this be the first time a climber has moved to Sheffield for the INDOOR climbing?? On the strength of this hopefully the grit will be quiet this winter, if everyone follows Bungle off to the wall whenever conditions are good...

Err, probably not, some geezer moved to Sheffield back in the early 90's to climb indoors. Can't remember his name but the nickname was 'Aussie Somethingorother'. He came all the way to train at The Foundry and on peoples woodies. Sad but true (but also good from our point of view).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#120 Re: new wall in shef
September 27, 2006, 09:23:54 am
anyone turning up on their bike (self propelled, wheeled means of transport just in case anyone asks), by public transport, on foot or by full car share will get a free cuppa* (* conditions apply  ;D)
So if I park round the corner, jog on the spot for a couple of minutes then come in gasping, do I still get a cuppa?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#121 Re: new wall in shef
September 27, 2006, 10:40:54 am
I'm probably going to move back to Sheffield in January/February to make the most of it.

I'm sure Stanage will remain quiet for your ongoing seige.

Idol eyes

• junky
#122 Re: new wall in shef
September 27, 2006, 11:13:40 am
The first time a climber has moved to Sheff to climb indoors? have you heard of "Frank Spolarick", He came from canada, Trained at the School, went out once and got a photo of himself nearly hanging the hold on hurricane, then applyed for sponsorship and got it from clark at cordless. so this will be the second time... I went to the School once.

andy popp

• forum hero
#123 Re: new wall in shef
September 27, 2006, 11:22:12 am
Jasper Sharpe probably qualified too, he and Smythe never really left their cellar.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#124 Re: new wall in shef
September 27, 2006, 11:24:53 am
any concessions if i bring my bus pass down?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal