UKBouldering.com

Helsby in mint(ish) condish (Read 2731 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Helsby in mint(ish) condish
March 13, 2007, 10:32:09 pm
After a hard days work by local climbers (rounded up by the BMC) last Saturday many of the top outs at Helsby have been converted from a green muff to a shaven haven. Much time and effort was spent digging out gorse, grass and soil from the top outs and many are now in excellent condition. Make sure that if your passing through you head up there to do Eliminate 1, Flake Crack and hopefully some more as there really are some very nice routes on some fine rock. The day was rounded off nicely by a somewhat rare headpoint lead of Beatnik by Nigel and a hot dinner in the Helsby Arms. Thanks BMC!
 :great:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Helsby in mint(ish) condish
March 13, 2007, 11:09:54 pm
Helsby is a good trad crag. I really enjoyed doing some of the easy-mid grade stuff there (with this site's very own cubanallstar no less!). Good effort on the clean-up.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#2 Re: Helsby in mint(ish) condish
March 13, 2007, 11:13:41 pm
Haven't been to Helsby in ages. Used to boulder at the very top of the hill on what came to be known by us as Pemb's wall. Not sure if it's overgrown at the top nowadays?

Also, does anyone know anything about the rumoured quarry at the back of Helsby main?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#3 Re: Helsby in mint(ish) condish
March 14, 2007, 07:36:44 am
Not sure if it's overgrown at the top nowadays?

It was in fine fettle six months ago, don't expect it will be overgrown.

Also, does anyone know anything about the rumoured quarry at the back of Helsby main?

The O and I spent much time bushwacking around there last year but didn't find anything of note...

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Helsby in mint(ish) condish
March 14, 2007, 07:43:56 am
Haven't been myself but the quarry is meant to be quite good. And whilst its true that Helsby is an excellent mid-grade crag (one my very favourite) there are some good hard routes there now that deserve some attention.

grimer

• forum hero
#5 Re: Helsby in mint(ish) condish
March 14, 2007, 09:55:01 am
I've been to that quarry, it's pretty good.

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
#6 Re: Helsby in mint(ish) condish
March 14, 2007, 12:04:50 pm
Never knew about this. Best picture I could find is on this site. Looks like it may be worth a visit if that wall on the left is a bit bigger.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/175825

Read somewhere else it was a site of regional geographic importance so small possibility of a telling off from the local ranger.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal