UKBouldering.com

bouldering in inner most north wales (Read 5434 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
bouldering in inner most north wales
May 11, 2006, 02:44:01 pm
is anybody aware of any bouldering around the Llangollen area, particularly thinking around Worlds End Craig Arthur. Also wondered if any existed in or near pothole quarry as its pretty close to home. I suppose the starts of the hard sport routes at W/e might class as boulder problems.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Trevor rocks area, monuments, grafitti walls and trevor rocks itself.Also not too far is Hope mountain.

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
Think there's some bouldering at Devils Gorge in Loggerheads Country Park but not too how extensive it is. Saw a photo on northwalesbouldering.com and it looked fairly hardcore to me.

Monolith

• forum hero
wheres that photo pemb? cant seem to see owt.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Follow the link from the bottom of this news item:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=171

or just click here if you want:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=158

(and yes I have realised that there is a slight contradiction between what is said about Thug Mental - I must call Hock and clarify if he actually did it?)

Monolith

• forum hero
sounds good. never knew this venue was so close to home. is parking at loggerheads country park or am i miles off here?

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
Looks well good and not too far from the wonderful Wirral but unfortunately my range is around V6 < at the moment. Will definately put it on my places to go when I'm a bit stronger list.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Does anyone have a bit of a topo for devil gorge the problems look wicked and might be going some time over summer? What rock is it?
Cheers

monkey boy

• forum hero
That would be quality! Nice one!

Doylo

• forum hero
in reply to Mills017.

Drive to the small village of Pantymwyn, its a few miles off the mold/denbigh road, i always come from the Denbigh side, ive never actually been from the mold side, which i presume is the direction you would come from, anyway assuming your in the village from the mold side, your looking for a left hand turn, pretty much in the middle of the village. about 50 metres after this junction there is a small road on your right, on a bend, with a cattle grid and a gate.  park on the RH side of the road about ten metres before he cattle grid.your surrounded by leafy, pleasant houses, which use to be the home of Coldplay guitarist Jon Buckland.
   walk towards the small turn off on the bend, its actually a v.long driveway. cross over the cattle grid and walk down road, under some overhanging trees, until you reach the bottom where the road bends round. theres a style in front of you, cross this and head down the path. About 30 metres after the style, take the smaller right hand path, which takes you down to the bottom of the gorge. you can approach from Loggerheads carpark aswell, just follow the river in the opposite direction to mold until you reach the gorge bridge, its pretty obvious however it takes about 20 minutes to walk.
    the bouldering can be found about 30 metres right of the main gorge. however there is a pretty good V8 in the actual gorge, directly beneath the bridge, stand up start, should be obvious. on the main crag, youve got a v9, and v6 on the LH  side, starting in the cave, both finish and start on the same holds, but V9 takes the obvious pocket with RH, V6- take it with your LH. V8+ traverse from cave to big jug half way along crag. and on the RH side a V7 from a sitter on the big jugs using drilled pocket. and V9 traverse from same holds to slap to lip, to a jug with RH. there is more problems, up to date photo topo coming soon hopefully.
    hope you find it, it is actually pretty good, its in an area which needed some bouldering. i.e between snowdonia and the peak. there are more limestone venues around clwyd, but they're not as good, and secret anyway. its getting more popular now, i would say though that unless you climb V6> theres not really much to do. if you want more info, get the new clwyd limestone guide which features a small topo.

Monolith

• forum hero
cheers Doylo! Ended up heading out that way on friday actually, but chances of any action were thwarted just as we got near ruthin with those damn flash floods and thunder mullarkey. Would be cool to see a photo topo ai. cheers for the info.

Monolith

• forum hero
to drag up an old post....

did you manage to sort a photo topo out gruff?? may pop down this week to scope it out.

Monolith

• forum hero
#12 Re: bouldering in inner most north wales
August 17, 2006, 12:17:15 pm
Finally got to Pantymwyn the other day. Really quite bizzare as it only took 30 mins in the car and I've never been!
I really liked the section under the bridge, and despite a lot of it being pretty green or calcified, a lot of the rock was sound. A couple of loose blocks but nothing continued traffic won't sort out. In regards to the Under the Bridge problem, there was a fairly sizeable undercut which was situated below a cruel wide horizontal pinch. I think this is the Under the Bridge problem? Alternatively, the way Doylo described the line as an "obvious one", I thought it might start from that quartzy sidepull thing and work out, up and left to the pinch, getting your hand into an undercut on the roof and then up the crimp line to the juggy terrain. Would assume the former is Under the Bridge, but if anyone cares to correct me on this, please feel free.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal