UKBouldering.com

Cuenca (Read 2707 times)

Andy_P

• regular
Cuenca
July 31, 2006, 04:49:30 pm
I'm off to Cuenca next week to stay with family and I hope to get a bit of climbing done in the evenings. Does anyone know anything about the climbing areas around Cuenca/know of any on-line topos?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Cuenca
August 01, 2006, 07:46:29 am
Is Cuenca the one near Valencia, or is it the one with the mushroom shaped boulders near Madrid? If it's the one near Valencia, I might have something.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Cuenca
August 01, 2006, 10:02:31 am
Its the one near between Madrid and Barcelona.  I've climbed there several years back, but was with people from Madrid so I didn't look at a guide book.  From what I remember there is a routes book in the local bar that you can copy down the topos from (or wait for a guide book company to steal them).  There are 2 main areas Cuenca Valaria (sic) which is a bit like the peak with grades up to 8a and then Cuenca Cuenca which is from 7b+ and upward. 

Check out the Desnival site for more info

D

Andy_P

• regular
#3 Re: Cuenca
August 01, 2006, 01:36:38 pm
Cheers Dylan, will check out Desnivel. Been drinking in Cuenca before; tons of bars there, remember the name/location?

SA Chris - It's the one near Valencia (although probably same distance from Valencia as it is from Madrid). Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Cuenca
August 02, 2006, 12:34:53 pm
No, I'm getting confused. The spot I was thinking of is the one between Valencia and Montanejos. Can't remember name though :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Cuenca
August 07, 2006, 11:59:36 am
Just remembered Chulilla was the place I was thinking of. Sorry for causing any confusion.

Andy_P

• regular
#6 Re: Cuenca
August 13, 2006, 08:56:11 pm
No worries; no confusion caused. I have just got back from Cuenca; the rock is as good as any in Spain and there are tonnes of routes. I managed to pick up a topo for 3 euros from a brick-a-brack shop, 'Alfareria', at the bottom of one of the crags ('Alfar'). Will scan it at work before it falls apart so if anybody wants a copy, pm me (and make a donation to the Alfareria if you go).

It is possible to climb in Cuenca all year round as their are crags on both side of the gorge (about 20 crags in total with potential for much more) so you can always find shade in the summer and sun in the winter (I climbed at Alfar over Christmas and whilst the air temp in the town was about 2 degrees C the crag was  a real sun trap and I actually felt warm in shorts and t-shirt). I would recommend climbing in the mornings and evenings only in the summer; the temperature drops to about 13 degrees C in the night, gradually warming throughout the day until it peaks around mid afternoon, when the temperature can reach into the mid 30s (though most of the time I was there it was 30/31 Max).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal