UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Long Weekend! (Read 1809 times)

macca7

• addict
Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 10:54:15 am
Apologises if this has been covered if so please feel free to point me in the right direction!

However have just booked the next 4 days based in Bradford, heading up to meet a friend based in Huddersfield and would love some suggestions for the best places to head and the not to be missed classics.

Have the old rockfax CD Yorkshire Gritstone Bouldering, RF Northern England and Boulder Britain 1st edition, guides to point me in the right direction but any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Macca

macca7

• addict
#1 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 10:58:22 am
Also greatly appreciated would be peoples thoughts on the weather, is it looking to warm to boulder and therefore should we be looking at routes?

Boulder wise anything classic up to around 7a/b would be amazing!

Thanks again

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 11:35:53 am
So in that ballpark you could do a lot worse that checking out Shipley Glen it's roadside, and you can pack in tons of mileage on quality rock, along with some classic lines. At those grades Manson's Wall, Phil's Wall and Red Baron would be a good day's haul.

I'm sure Will be along in a minute to tell you to get to Ruin Bank Woods - check out the Unknown Stones site for a downloadable guide.

I'm based nearby-ish, hit me up if you want some company / pad / spot!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 11:50:46 am
So in that ballpark you could do a lot worse that checking out Shipley Glen it's roadside, and you can pack in tons of mileage on quality rock, along with some classic lines. At those grades Manson's Wall, Phil's Wall and Red Baron would be a good day's haul.

I'm sure Will be along in a minute to tell you to get to Ruin Bank Woods - check out the Unknown Stones site for a downloadable guide.

I'm based nearby-ish, hit me up if you want some company / pad / spot!

U WOT MATE? Sorry, TT but this is terrible beta. It's going to be 20 degrees. The Glen, as much as I love it, is the last place I'd be.

Have you done much in Yorkshire before? If you haven't been to Widdop then its sub-7 circuit is excellent and lots of the problems have shade at various times of the day. The Pool Traverse, Splashdown, Pickpocket's Wall etc. If you can manage to pop into Bridestones afterwards then Horror Arete is a world class tick at 6C.

Earl Crag has a good circuit but a lot of the best problems are in the 7s and there won't be any wind there this weekend.

To be honest you're not wrong that routes would be a great option this weekend. Forecast says overcast on Saturday, so good connies assured at Malham and there's plenty of dry stuff on the Catwalk and Upstairs at the moment. Obvs you've then got Kilnsey, Troller's, Moughton etc depending on what you fancy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 12:02:56 pm
Or are you talking trad rotes?

If it's forecast to be decent /warmish weather you could get to some of the higher Barden Moor crags, most of which offer a good wide spread of difficulty wrt bouldering, micro routes and trad. Crookrise, Rylstone and Simon Seat for starters would all be good for a full day out each.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 12:13:02 pm
If you do head to Widdop then just down the road is Clattering Stones. The main wall there is North facing and stays in the shade, with a bit of a breeze conditions should be decent even if the air temperatures get up a bit.

Ilkley also seems to be freezing every time i have visited...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 12:18:30 pm
Just my opinion, but if I was a visitor to the area and went bouldering at Ilkley for 6s and low 7s I'd be hugely disappointed.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 01:40:04 pm
If you do head to Widdop then just down the road is Clattering Stones. The main wall there is North facing and stays in the shade, with a bit of a breeze conditions should be decent even if the air temperatures get up a bit.

Widdop and the surrounding area is great (I now live exceedingly close) but although this is good beta, it isn't what I'd personally be recommending to someone (unless of course they've spent a fair while up this way).

Barden Fell perhaps?

macca7

• addict
#8 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 27, 2021, 10:11:15 pm
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Have loaded trad bouldering and sport gear so should have all eventualities covered!

Mate is keen to boulder so imagine we'll be doing that unless it's ridiculously warm.

If anyone is heading anywhere in the area please let me know would be good to say hi and put a face to an Internet name!

First crag tmrw evening fingers crossed!

Thanks again

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#9 Re: Yorkshire Long Weekend!
May 28, 2021, 08:32:08 am
Crookrise:

sadcocs wall - 6C
Karjala - 7A (6C)
starsky arete - 7A (6C)
pixie tits standing start - 6C
Troll's Arete - 7A
Barry king size - 7A
Pepsi Max - 7A+
Rons crack 2 - e3 6B (7A+)

I did all the above in a mid summer visit and it was a lovely big day out with great views.

Edit: locals tend to get bored with it, but Almscliff has to be one of the best crags for a visitor to the area. Outstanding rock, great bouldering at all grades, short walk and extremely reliable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal