UKBouldering.com

Banned from Cocktalk (Read 77595 times)

dave

#25 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 20, 2006, 09:51:50 pm
To be honest Sloper, I can't believe it took them so long to ban you.  RT is definately a better place without morons like you posting such trivual crap.

:wank:

Yossarian

• forum hero
#26 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 11:07:58 am
trivial crap?

a quick glance over CT yesterday revealed someone trying to sell a caravan, a thread all about knorr soup, and a review of the new pirates of the caribbean.

Cocktalk - You don't have to be a cock, but it certainly helps...

slim

#27 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 12:36:26 pm
in CT's defence, ukc is a good site and a great idea
however in any public (and popular) environment that is essentially left to its own devices, there are a whole host of ignorant fools who will spout rubbish about topics they know nothing of...

have to say, i do glance at it most luchtimes, tho dont very often find anything worth talkign about on.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 12:44:04 pm
Parts of ukc/rockfax are excellent but the the forums are pretty dreadful.

I used to post there a lot myself before I set up ukb. I probably wouldn't have even set this place up if their forums hadn't gone to shite so I guess I can't complain really.

If they stopped guest posting and had a proper moderation team then things would probably be different. But lets not forget that ukc is a commercial site so quantity of forum posts/users seems to be more valuable than quality...it's better for selling advertising, etc.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#29 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 12:53:12 pm
trivial crap?

a quick glance over CT yesterday revealed someone trying to sell a caravan, a thread all about knorr soup, and a review of the new pirates of the caribbean.

Cocktalk - You don't have to be a cock, but it certainly helps...

what like trying to sell a minolta dimage 7i, a thread about crayfish, and reviews of good books? trivial crap? you decide :whistle:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#30 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 12:59:49 pm
 I think you underestimate the importance of crayfish to todays boulderers

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#31 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 01:02:00 pm
And graffiti too.  No use to man or crayfish.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#32 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 05:28:21 pm
haven't you heard? crayfish is the new broccoli...

ok, ok. it was the caravan that did it.

Mick Ryan

• addict
#33 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 05:52:32 pm
Parts of ukc/rockfax are excellent but the the forums are pretty dreadful.

And to some they are brilliant, to some so so....to about 150,000 different people each month essential reading.

At the Rocktalk forum today lots of stuff:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=9

Similarly at Rock destinations, very active and all climbing related.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=2

Lots of stuff at the Climbing Gear forum too:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=11

If you aren't interested in climbing check out Down The Pub, The Chat Room or Culture Bunker.

Lots of news here also this is the Events page

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Photos...there's 35,000+ of them sorted into categories and searchable.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/

Articles

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/

Your own climbing logbook

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/

Lots of databases which are very well used.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/

Some seen fixated on the forums, it is very important indeed but only a part of the story.

Plus we are working on lots of things at the moment: blogs, podcasts, videos, better articles....loads of stuff.

Here ends this commercial interlude :devangel:

Mick

Mick Ryan

• addict
#34 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 06:12:01 pm
If they stopped guest posting and had a proper moderation team then things would probably be different.

OK Bubba, let's hear a more concrete suggestion of how you would make things different and hopefully better at the UKC forums.

First being a website forum person how would you handle the moderation at UKC? It's good to remember that that moderation at UKC is very liberal, there are guidelines (not rules). Offensive posts, such as pr0nographic links are deleted (remember UKC is a family show free to all). Some are banned, often only for a short while and usually only after several warnings.

So how would you make it better? Anyone?

Mick :kiss2:

Mick Ryan

• addict
#35 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 06:15:22 pm

and ukb is better without people like you - goodbye.

For example it appears you banned this...baluchi or whatever-- poster from UKB.

Why?

Any warnings? Or did you just do it cause you could.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#36 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 06:42:50 pm
I don't want to 'academicise' a post on here, but a bit of insight into what a forum can strive to be might help. Any of you Political Science folk or Philosophiles out there might be familiar with a guy called Jurgen Habermas. He referred to the notion of 'The Public Sphere'; a place for rational and critical debate. Without going too much into the history of this, internet forums, it is argued by some, have become a digitised form of this. (Quite far removed from 16th Century German bars and taverns where beardy German folk would use long words and toot away on their pipes).
Inasmuch as a bouldering forum can be 'rational', I think UK Bouldering is an effective manifestation of this. People are encouraged to contribute to discussion, but wholly innane and often offensive slander will get them removed from the 'sphere' of debate. From my experiences, and those of many others it would seem, UK Climbing hasn't proved to be quite as effective for many people as UK Bouldering. I understand it must be incredibly difficult to police a forum which see's such a high volume of responses per minute, but perhaps this is an inescapable fact. I'm not aware of the number of active users on each forum, but I'm sure UKC has many more. So it's perhaps such issues that you need to wrestle with in order to work towards a better forum.
I also believe that people on UKB tolerate a lesser extent of censorship than those users of UKC, purely on the grounds of the average age of user on UKC.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#37 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 08:00:18 pm
If they stopped guest posting and had a proper moderation team then things would probably be different.

OK Bubba, let's hear a more concrete suggestion of how you would make things different and hopefully better at the UKC forums.

Like I've said - more thorough moderation to keep post quality higher and disable guest posting. Allowing guests to post just encourages flaming.

I know the volume of this forum is a fraction of yours but the moderators here don't actually have to do that much, and a lot of that is because a) guests can't post and b) the community beats down newcomers who act like fuckwits.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#38 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 08:07:03 pm

Why?

In this case no, no warnings. They obviously only signed up to flame an existing user who's been here a long time, so there was no reason to allow them to be here.

If you act like a twat (especially in your very first post), then you're not welcome here, end of story.

Some people even get banned before they have a chance to post...for example that mad bitch who used to post on ukc so much.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:20:53 pm by Bubba »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#39 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 09:36:44 pm
What about UKD?  For climbings' dicks.  Or UKK a white spremacist climbers forum?

And surely Bubba can zap anyone whenever.  I would.  Keep the riff raff out.  And invent a dunce avatar to be used against oiks.

Eh? Eh?

Who is the Mad Bitch?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:56:17 pm by Houdini »

Mick Ryan

• addict
#40 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 09:46:32 pm

Why?

In this case no, no warnings. They obviously only signed up to flame an existing user who's been here a long time, so there was no reason to allow them to be here.

Totally draconian Bubba, You ban people because you can. There are no guidelines here. Well there are, but you make them up as you go along. Flaming for goodness sake has a long and healthy history on usenet and the web. The above was harmless he was taking the piss........out of the beloved member Sloper. You wielded your stick.

UKB is a tiny community of like minded souls (in crowd) who prefer being away from the mainstream and long may it remain so. People here don't like the anonymity of UKC....they get lost in the crowd, they think they have no voice there or audience. I for one enjoy it here although it isn't central to my existance.

You still have not come up with any practical solution to what you see as a problem. UKC is so popular because it does have a diverse readership and of posters.......and you can easily weed out what you aren't interested in by 'forum options'.

Remember when you banned me? Some UKB'ers came on here slandering Rockfax....total untruths. Alan explained, I took the piss saying that UKB was the UK version of boldering.com.....and I took the piss out of some of the posters here. What did you do? Banned me. You should have deleted the slander that some of your regulars sprayed on here...total lies.

What did I do long after that? Offered to send you a load of boulddering videos to help fund this site....gratis, at no charge.

Anyway....weak bastard that I am I failed on Cyclops at Hutton Roof tonight.....couldn't hang that polished sloper.

Anyone any beta?

What a beautiful place. Woodwell (or't road) tomorrow night.....with some UKB'ers.

Peace.

Mick

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#41 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 10:03:26 pm
Ok, this is very quick coz I've got to go to work - damn nights!

Totally draconian Bubba, You ban people because you can. There are no guidelines here. Well there are, but you make them up as you go along.
There are guidelines - see the site notices forum. I don't just ban people for fun but I will ban somebody if I think they're just being a troublemaker. It's my perogative. It's not because I'm power hungry it's because I have a very good idea of how I want this forum to be, and who and who is not welcome here.

Flaming for goodness sake has a long and healthy history on usenet and the web.
So what? Usenet is fucking shite. I'm not going to allow flaming because it's traditional. And ukclimbing deletes lots of flame posts - why don't you just leave them if flaming is such a positive thing?

You still have not come up with any practical solution to what you see as a problem.
I don't really have any inclination to - I've made my suggestions about guest posting which is what I see as the main problem with ukc. I find it especially strange that you allow guest posting but then guests are treated as 2nd class citizens on your boards, but hey, this is merely my opinion.

Remember when you banned me? Some UKB'ers came on here slandering Rockfax....total untruths. Alan explained, I took the piss saying that UKB was the UK version of boldering.com.....and I took the piss out of some of the posters here. What did you do? Banned me. You should have deleted the slander that some of your regulars sprayed on here...total lies.
To be honest, I can't remember the ins and outs of that, I'd have to go look it up again. I suspect you were banned because you were stirring up trouble as you often like to do....but I'll double check later.

What did I do long after that? Offered to send you a load of boulddering videos to help fund this site....gratis, at no charge.
Did you? I honestly don't remember that. And if you did, what does that mean? That really you're just a luuurvely, giving guy? Even after evil bubba banned you? Awww! ;)

Ah well, must go to fucking work :(

Mick Ryan

• addict
#42 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 10:15:10 pm
Damn right it's quick Bubba......either you are on drugs or you are fuckin knackered. Your amnesia is very convenient.

Of course it is your perogative....for goodness sake man you even admit to banning people before they even post.

This is your private club......and that's fine.

Usenet is fucking shite....well yes it is now.....most weren't even hooked up to the internet when it was in its heyday....the precursor to sites like this and UKC

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.climbing/browse_frm/thread/59c51b8e693aee56/8b7c69f61c0729f6?tvc=1&q=Lynn+Hill+and+Midnight+Lightning#8b7c69f61c0729f6

Great fun.

Come on Bubba get a fuckin spine for god's sake....either that or ban me because I'm stirring or taking the piss.

Pathetic dude and most people know it.

Peace bro

Mick

Mick Ryan

• addict
#43 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 10:18:23 pm
and you'd better get this on your blog i-p boys or I'll cry........

slim

#44 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 10:35:53 pm
lets face it, you can call your mate a total c0ck, and it will be taken in the vein its ment,
when out climbing you can shout abuse, like you waek talentless... etc

however on an internet fourum there is no glint in the eye, or idle backchat
and things are taken a lot more personally, partly due to the very public and semi perminant nature of posts

if your going to give a personal attack, then internet forums are not the place for it

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#45 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 11:03:05 pm
...total cock... vein

So good.

If you're going to give a personal attack, then internet forums are not the place for it.

Depends with how much style it is done with.

Is there another side to Mick Rockfax Ryan than rockfax/UKC?  Pretty much whenever I read your avatar (you don't have one.  Would be way classier if you do a Dense and put your pic up, better than that daft signing your name @ the end thing you like) tit's in conjunction with some RFXUKC jive.  You a 60's youth?  Cool if you could offer something to the GFAL! thread about the time you were whacked on mandrax or getting wanked by Wendy Rockslut Wilkinson (ex-Wilslow) back in the day when whatever went the weird way it did in place of the usual Ra!  You did get whacked on mandrax right?

dave

#46 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2006, 11:12:53 pm
To be honest, I can't remember the ins and outs of that, I'd have to go look it up again. I suspect you were banned because you were stirring up trouble as you often like to do....but I'll double check later.

i'll jog your memory: mick was being a cunt.

when I initially deleted mick's threads/posts at the time (the precursor to him being banned cos bubba was away) it was the only occaision I've come across where deleting threads prompted me to receive several random out-of-the-blue PMs from ukb users (ones i'd never met, not personal mates) congratulating us on the action taken. I've never before or since seen such universal condemnation of a user as we had when you kicked off being a dick Mick. You try and twist it to make it sound like a personal vendetta by Bubba against you mick, playing the victim as always. When in fact virtually everyone wanted shut of your shit. In fact I've just had a re-read through those deleted theads, good to remind myself how much negative attention seeking vitriolic bile you were spitting out at that time, and how much everyone else was sick of your crap.

If you have so much of a chip on your shoulder about this place why the fuck are you always on here? Jesus I don't like cocktalk hence why i never go on there, i wish you would recipricate, unless you're going to have a personality transplant and actually contibute something useful or even vaguely amusing to the proceedings. And I don't count flaming and trolling as amusing. They may have had a certain novelty value for 14year olds when the internet first became popular but they got old faster than bermuda shorts with one leg rolled up.

So my challenge to mick is either stick around and prove you do have some redeming features and play the game, or get out the sheet music and play the fuck-off waltz. But in my heart of hearts I know you just won't be able to manage either, which is a shame, cos I hate to see people who are entirely fueld by negitivity, pisses on my faith in humanity. :wall:

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#47 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2006, 12:05:39 am

This is no private club, anyone is welcome. Execept those that act like twats.

UKC is a fucking joke now - It couldn't be lamer if it was on crutches - Just the same circular crap, with the same idiots biting everytime.

Anyway - Give yourself a pat on the back. You've successfully trolled here........

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#48 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2006, 02:10:27 am
Never seen a more clear cut case for introducing the teenager "WHatEvvA!" (TM) emoticon to the current range. Or howabout maybe the "oooooooh... HANDBAG!" emoticon?

I check UKC from time to time, moreso when UKB went down for a while a few months back. Was bloody glad when UKB came back online though (nice one, Dobbin btw!)

UKC is what it is. Like Mick says you need to apply your own filters, but occasionally I find nuggets of useful info in there which makes it worthwhile. Tend to use it when I've got a lot of time on me hands.

UKB (despite all the random yet  entertaining topics on shooting the shit) gets to the point more or less immediately (which is more than can be said fer me.) UKB is great for checking up/catching up on once a day and if you have a specific query I find it gets answered promptly and not usually  fifty people saying the same thing or with a couple of ne'erdowells trying to start an argument with you. UKB is certainly not a private club. I don't know anyone on here save for what they post here. I found it through google, actually. The reason I keep coming back here more than UKC is because I rate the information (and let's face it, the banter and the stories) far above a lot of the chaff you have to sift through on UKC. The difference, I suppose, is that UKB is a smaller community -like living a village - whereas UKC's more like London. There are more twats in London, definitely, but that doesn't mean that there aren't good folk there too. Because UKB's smaller it is, I guess, self regulating. Think the karma thing (although abused a bit to start with) has settled down into a genuinely good way to police the site. If you're being a twat you'll know that your fellow "villagers" (insert your own YMCA gag here) - people who you've mostly got to know and respect over time thru reading what they've got to say - think you're being a twat without neccesarily descending into vitriol and pedantry...

Talking of which... Where IS SASscotty? I genuinely miss the young dude's enthusiasm, if not his txtspk. Hope he didn't get disheartened by all the -ve karma... I think the penny was starting to drop with him, and he was acquiring the relevant traits of self deprecation and humility.

Well... it's late and I'm tired... So that's all folks.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#49 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2006, 06:36:28 am
Damn right it's quick Bubba......either you are on drugs or you are fuckin knackered.
Neither, like I already said I had to get to work.

Your amnesia is very convenient.
Really? Amazingly I don't remember every single thing that has been posted here - how long ago was this? A year or more? Also, since Dave has now jogged our memories, I believe I was right in my assumption that as usual you were shit-stirring.

As Carnage has pointed out - these forums aren't private at all, and guests can read everything normal full members can - there is no restriction on signing up unless you're a known trouble-maker on another forum.

Come on Bubba get a fuckin spine for god's sake....either that or ban me because I'm stirring or taking the piss.
Are you retarded? Firstly you slag me for banning somebody, and now you're slagging me for not banning you.

Pathetic dude and most people know it.
Check the mirror Mick. Now that's pathetic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal