UKBouldering.com

Val di Mello Mad Farmers (Read 18898 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 01:07:47 pm
Looks as if the access for the Val di Mello bouldering is non too bon

Friends have just sent me this text message

"Val di mello is fucked.  The farmers have wiped pig fat all over the boulders.  What a bunch of arseholes!"

:jaw:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 01:10:15 pm
It must be about a thousand degrees there at the moment. Are you sure that the pig fat didnt come from inside the boulders? Perhaps they arent actually at the boulders yet, but at a field of giant pigs instead.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 01:13:49 pm
Nothing a blow torch won't cure!

Farmers eh?  When will people realise that the Countryside is in the wrong hands?

Personally, I'd have their feet hacked-off live on TV to the sound of childrens' laughter.  Controversial tactics, but I'm comfortable with that.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 01:34:16 pm
val di mello is still ok.
there are so many sectors, that you dont really want to complain. just walk ten minutes more. clean rock, new problems, no crowd.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 02:17:00 pm
 To be honest Nible its not OK

When locals start stopping climbers something is up.  Why was this not reported on the web?

Val di mello is ok, but its not great, or that large for that matter

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 02:24:44 pm
I think when people realise what potential there is further up and on the left fork of the (Val Masino?) valley, Val Di Mello will become very popular indeed.  So very many untouched lumps. 

True, Mello isn't so vast an area, yet it is hard to find all the spots amongst the long grasses...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 02:29:50 pm
I agree it has a massive potential.  That's why its important not to fuck off the land owners or at least figure out why you would want to go to the hastle of spreading a problem in animal fat.

I still think the rock is not a good as Swiss for harder problems.  I didn't see it in its best light though as I went to Melloblocco and was overcrowded

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 02:44:55 pm
I think that part of the problem with Mello is the lack of money that would find it's way to the farmers/land owners.  Obviously the small cluster of bars, coffee houses, camping sites and the odd refugio would benefit from events such as Melloblocco.  But what's in it for the farmer?

At the time, I found the goat herders in particular to be off-ish.  The fact that I and others in my group grew up in rural communities and are sensitive to farming issues, wouldn't cut much ice, I think.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 03:05:10 pm
i dunno whats wrong with the farmers now, and to be true there are no proofs they spread the fat, and not some villager on alcohol...
the valley has been the cradle of italian boulderig since the seventies, so im sure theres not a real access issue. after melloblocco, not a single piece of thrash has been left in the valley, it was in fact cleaner then before.
but summer is not the right season, in autumn there are more possibilities to climb, and even if tis true its not huge, it hase a grat potential, and with the small hassle of the grass, the boulders in the lower valley (val masino) are great fun. it only takes a sort of blanket to be put on the grass.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#9 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 03:18:16 pm
i dunno whats wrong with the farmers now, and to be true there are no proofs they spread the fat, and not some villager on alcohol...
the valley has been the cradle of Italian bouldering since the seventies, so I'm sure theres not a real access issue. after melloblocco, not a single piece of thrash has been left in the valley, it was in fact cleaner then before.
but summer is not the right season, in autumn there are more possibilities to climb, and even if tis true its not huge, it hase a grat potential, and with the small hassle of the grass, the boulders in the lower valley (val masino) are great fun. it only takes a sort of blanket to be put on the grass.

I'm just going to take it that you are :

A. Having difficulty understanding this in a foreign language
B. Completely hatstand

I'm not going to defend what my friend said, but he was there and you were not.  I know you are Italian, but you can't speak for the people of Val di Mello.  As Houdini said, the farmers have little to gain financially.  I'm not pointing fingers here I'm stating the fuckin obviously along with 1st hand events from a mate  ::)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 03:35:01 pm
darling,

im just thinking that you have more difficulties than me with english, or trying to piss me off.

even though iwasnt at melloblocco, ive been there two weeks after, and know the stuff.
to me the only fucking obvious is the inutility of your post, which gets into a friendly discussion with a direct, and  unfriendly attack.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#11 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 04:51:27 pm
The last time I came here there was animal fat smeared over the holds! Chris Davies.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#12 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 06:15:07 pm
darling,

im just thinking that you have more difficulties than me with english, or trying to piss me off. 

even though iwasnt at melloblocco, ive been there two weeks after, and know the stuff.
to me the only fucking obvious is the inutility of your post, which gets into a friendly discussion with a direct, and  unfriendly attack.

Sweetie pie, this was not a personal attack.  The utility (or usefulness as we say in England) of my post regarded you lack of knowledge about the access situation.  I posted this in the hope that people:

A Would think about this before a long trip
B Consider their actions a little more whilst in the area

You telling everyone that 'its OK, cause there are loads more boulders' is none to helpful

The last time I came here there was animal fat smeared over the holds! Chris Davies.

So this has happened before...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PS Thanks for the bad karma points ;) I'm glad you know the stuff

BenF

• forum hero
#13 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 03, 2006, 09:25:32 pm
Sweetie pie, this was not a personal attack.  The utility (or usefulness as we say in England) of my post regarded you lack of knowledge about the access situation.  I posted this in the hope that people:

A Would think about this before a long trip
B Consider their actions a little more whilst in the area

You telling everyone that 'its OK, cause there are loads more boulders' is none to helpful

As an honestly impartial observer who's never been to Val di Mello (cue being told by someone that I obviously know fuck all, which may be a fair point), I have to say that your comments read like a pretty harsh attack.  Nibile's English, didn't read that badly (certainly way better than my Italian) so that was a bit unfair.  In terms of what he said I reckon he was just being a bit positive and upbeat about it all.  Again, I don't really know the history of access and stuff at Val di Mello but very often these events don't eventually end up being as bad as first thought.  Solutions will usually appear and fat can be burned off (surely?).

Suggesting that people think about all this stuff before planning a trip is certainly helpful (I want to know much more before my planned trip next year), but Nibile's thoughts are also useful.  If only for a little balance, since it was none too clear that every decent boulder had been ruined.  If Nibile has ideas that most of it or even certain bits are still fine, then it's worth hearing that opinion.  In my opinion.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#14 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 10:14:53 am
Apologies for sounding harsh, although I didn't think I was.  I wasn't attacking your English Nibble I gave you the benefit of the doubt in misunderstanding my statement as you seemed to be glossing over the issue.

Yes there are a lot of boulders
Yes someone is pissed off

Just because trash was picked up doesn't mean people don't want climbers there and its a bit of a long way to travel from England to find out things are a bit pear shaped.

BTW Thank everyone for the negative Karma

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#15 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 11:10:28 am
Your only crime was to be a little more patronising than you needed to be.  But since I suffer from this too, on occassion, I have wadded you; if something as arbitrary as this makes you feel better...

You do realise the best line in Europe is in Mello, I hope.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#16 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 12:07:10 pm
Just got off the phone from said friend.  He tells me that ALL the boulders from the car park to the houses have been covered with animal fat.  The only climbing left in the area is in Val Masino.  The locals there said that they are not sure if Mello Blocco will happen next year unless the higher valley is used.

So Nibble what's the deal? Still no problemo?

Houndini, thanks for the wad points, though I don't care about the karma you actions have touched me .  I would hate to feel that people don't express their views because of this karma bollocks.  Seems like too many people hold their tongues these days ;)

Duma

• forum hero
#17 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 12:15:31 pm
Does seem odd that this hasn't been reported anywhere - not even on planetmountain which is Italy based I think. Isn't the UK 8a.nu correspondent on here? If so maybe they could get this highlighted on said Norwegian behemoth of virtual climbing. Must be some way of getting the news out there, is there a BMC equivalent for Italy that would take this sort of stuff in hand, maybe your mate who's there could give them a shout...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 12:22:01 pm
Do you know anything of the current condition of the problems on the right hand side of the road (before you reach the über-boulder)?  I refer to problems such as Tarzan which are on the large blocs near the bridge (where people BBQ)?   These problems are the best in the valley, I think.  If they've fatted the arete of aretes - there'll be trouble.

EDIT - sorry, I've re-read your post Dylan.  Val Masino is OK.

Whilst I would not recommend that the livestock here gets forcibly smeared with granite - it wouldn't surprise me if someone poisons something in retaliation.  Which would be poor-show.  But what goes round...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 12:23:59 pm by Houdini »

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 01:25:09 pm
dylan,
you didnt earn my bad karma points.

as far as the subject goes,
i dont know about the boulders from the parking to the houses, because, being on private property, you cant climb there. its allowed with a special permission from the owners only for melloblocco. i mean the area before crossing the river. i dont go there and nobody should.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#20 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 01:28:11 pm
houdini,

tarzan is in val masino, in the area before the "sasso remenno". didnt do it last time i was there two weeks ago, but the other boulders close to tarzan were fine.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#21 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 02:26:35 pm
dylan,
you didnt earn my bad karma points.

as far as the subject goes,
i dont know about the boulders from the parking to the houses, because, being on private property, you cant climb there. its allowed with a special permission from the owners only for melloblocco. i mean the area before crossing the river. i dont go there and nobody should.

I think we have the area mixed up as I've seen pictures of you climbing on the area I mean (not at the Melloblocco)

Are talking about this area being on private land?

The pig fat was on the starting boulders all the way to the bridge

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#22 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 02:44:10 pm
hmmm,
this is getting complicated.

the first two pictures are about free areas, you can always climb there. i climbed the same problems two weeks ago.
the last picture is about "analsexyselvaggio"...and i think its private. i didnt climb there last time cos there was a fence with horses in there. and for the same reason i didnt climb at "sas della pulenta", the big boulder behind that of the last pic.

the areas that are always banned except for melloblocco are the boulders on the left of the path, going up, before crossing the bridge.

and this is tarzan area:

i hope this helps

account_inactive

• forum hero
#23 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 03:14:29 pm
I don't recognise Tarzan, Looks like the bit past the campsite on the way to val masino.

The 3rd pic is between the 1st and 2nd pictures.  From what I gather all of these areas are fucked, though the 38 degree heat would also make them fuck me thinks  ::)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#24 Re: Val di Mello Mad Farmers
July 04, 2006, 03:26:31 pm
tarzan area is just beside the guides center/bar/hotel

if you say everythings fucked it must have been done again after my visit.
i was planning another trip, i may as well gather more info...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal